• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Thanks for the broad generalizations there. Anything in particular in this instance that makes you say that? Otherwise, I'm sure you could say that about any fan base if you single out one or two people and then paint with a wide brush.

In any case, I hope that all of that was precautionary and that Lack will be back soon.

Not getting into specifics. There are just a few fan bases that have shown themselves repeatedly to be gutter trash. Detroit snuck into that category last night. They're there with Buffalo, Boston, Jersey, and Philly. Congrats!

To be fair, my own fan base are a bunch of bandwagon no shows 99% of the time.

From Down Goes Brown's weekend recap:

So that leaves us with four teams and two spots. Or does it? There's a case to be made for a fifth team, and it's one that's been all but written off for most of the season. Do you like underdogs that quietly lurk in the weeds until the very last moment, then spring up and ruin everything? Then you might enjoy the Carolina Hurricanes.

After three straight wins, the Hurricanes are within five points of the Bruins for the wild card. They have two games in hand on Boston, and one each on the Islanders, Lightning and Leafs. And while the schedule serves up a few tough games the rest of the way, they do get the Red Wings twice this week. Win both of those, and they're right in the mix.

That's the good news. But realistically, the Hurricanes may have left their playoff charge too late. With just nine games left, they'd need to nearly run the table to get to 95 points; even something like 6-1-2 would leave them with just 93. That could be enough, but only if three of the teams ahead of them all went cold. And they still have games left with the Penguins and Blue Jackets, so if they lose both of those, they'd have to be absolutely perfect the rest of the way just to get to that 93 floor.

This is one of those cases where "five points back" sounds a lot closer than it is. Thanks to the loser point, it's hard to make up that much ground over two weeks, especially against multiple teams who keep mysteriously managing to play three-point games. So while the Hurricanes probably belong in the Eastern discussion today, they'd need a furious finish to still be in the picture at the finish line.

Three points against Detroit was good, but the odds to pass three teams are still starkly slim. Regardless, I hope they can pull it off. Go Canes, go.

His math is a little off, we can get up to 96 points.

Really hope the Bs suddenly go in the tank, but obviously every point is hugely helpful at this point.

Either way, hopefully this run sets us up to for sure break the streak (now the longest in the league, tear) next year

His math is a little off, we can get up to 96 points.

Really hope the Bs suddenly go in the tank, but obviously every point is hugely helpful at this point.

Either way, hopefully this run sets us up to for sure break the streak (now the longest in the league, tear) next year

ouch. didn't realize that.

Nice win, Canes. Not much help elsewhere, though.

Yuuuuup. Canes get one of the bests in the league tonight while the Bruins got the Stars and the Lightning got the Red Wings. This weekend is pretty big for the Canes. If we could get 3 points, I'd feel pretty confident. But facing the Pens on the second night of a second back to back this week will be tough.

The Canes aren't getting in. Too much has to happen and it isn't doing it. But this is encouraging to see. Skinner will get the C this summer, I think. Staal and Faulk will get the A's. Hopefully see Gauthier make the big club and Canes trade for a #1 C using some of those 11 draft picks they have.

Next year is the year the rebuild pays off.

Bolts are gonna sneak in with a fairly healthy Stamkos and bounce the Caps, right?

Too much has to happen and it isn't doing it.

I don't know if I completely agree with this, if you're referring to other team's performances. I mean if we run the table we only need Boston to drop 3 points and Tampa to drop two. That doesn't seem unreasonable, especially since they play each other.

I think the bigger issue is that we might need to win every game

And also, LET'S SPEND MONEY ON A GOALIE.

Plenty of guys will be avail

MY blue jackets gonna win it all

I'll second that. They just need to get out of this offensive funk and hope Bobrovsky can stay white hot through the playoffs.

Very entertaining game last night. Hat's off to the Canes.

'Canes are doneski. Next Ottawa and Toronto wins (or 2 points) eliminates. Kudos to Boston who has gone on a tear -- I'm sure their veteran core was plenty motivated not to miss the playoffs three years in a row.

I'm guessing either Tampa or Ottawa prolly will finish 8th and play the Caps in the first round -- feel like they're the teams we coulda beat out if we were a little more consistent. Hopefully we can get off to a good start next year for once and not be playing catch up come this time of the season

And then we overcame that, but then only won 5 of 20 before this streak. The 'canes roller coaster.

They don't have to get off to a great start on their State Fair road trip, but even a slightly-below-.500 one would be a vast improvement

CBJ/PIT will be fun tomorrow night. Most likely a 1st

This game is likely a battle for home ice in the First round matchup. CBJ trail the Pens by one point as of today. Pens' chances just improved exponentially since Ovechkin took out Zach Weresnski with a cheap shot last night.

The State Fair road trip needs to end. They shouldn't be waiting until nearly November for a home game.

Back