• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I haven’t seen a single thing about Donovan being uninterested, but he’s pretty busy at the moment.

Yeah. UK would have to keep the search going through at least the play-in to wait for Donovan.

My FB feed is absolutely hilarious. Just a couple days ago, UK fans were saying, "Thanks Cal, Next." Now they want an investigation into the Kentucky AD. This is going to be fun.
Pope was considered to be like a 3rd tier, “break glass in event of an emergency” hire, so it’s…alarming.

Supposedly two UK donors have pledged $4 million in NIL and Kentucky fans are worried about Pope’s recruiting. He is going to get talent.

Like in the Tubby days it is a weird feeling for me when Kentucky’s coach is not a villain.
Uk follows a pattern. Drunk (Sutton), Villain (Pitino), Nice Guy (Tubby), Drunk (Gillespie), Villain (Cal), Nice Guy (Pope).
Who is the biggest drunk in bball right now? He will be the uk coach in 4 years

i think it could actually work out for pope at UK

might not, but i don't see anything in his resume that says "no chance" for the guy

"work out" probably doesn't meet bbn's expectations.
i'm saying he could get to multiple final fours with UK resources and meet fanbase expectations

not that it's likely, but he's not a surefire bust

BYU is a hard place to be successful and he had a good year in the toughest conference in college hoops

i'm saying he could get to multiple final fours with UK resources and meet fanbase expectations

not that it's likely, but he's not a surefire bust
until he is. success or bust really depends on how a few 18-22 year olds do in a single elimination tournament. To your point, I would be surprised if he's not able to recruit the talent to get opportunities, so there's a chance he's successful.

Like the hire. Pope can coach, but is not a hot name; so, very un-KY like; as a result, many of their idiot fans are pissed.

His BYU teams outperformed the talent; he gets the analytics side of the game. Coaching at Kentucky is a different animal, but he played at Kentucky and in the NBA; so, would think that he knows what he's getting into. If he can avoid getting canned in his first three years, think he will ulitmately win big.

Kentucky has a crazy fanbase and expectations, but having said that, Cal only would have needed 2-3 more SEC tournament wins and 2-4 more NCAA tournament wins in the past 4 years in order to ride the Kentucky job out to retirement. This whole scenario probably never plays out if: he doesn’t lose to St Peters in the first round, doesn’t miss the tournament completely, and doesn’t lose to Oakland in the first round. It isn’t as if he had to make the final four every year to keep the fans off his ass; He legitimately fumbled the bag.

It's crazy that our Demon Deacon fandom REQUIRES us to support the whole damn state of kentucky with two of own leading the top programs.

until he is. success or bust really depends on how a few 18-22 year olds do in a single elimination tournament. To your point, I would be surprised if he's not able to recruit the talent to get opportunities, so there's a chance he's successful.
So what do you call it when he can't even get his 18-22 year olds to make said single elimination tournament after 4 seasons?

Kentucky has a crazy fanbase and expectations, but having said that, Cal only would have needed 2-3 more SEC tournament wins and 2-4 more NCAA tournament wins in the past 4 years in order to ride the Kentucky job out to retirement. This whole scenario probably never plays out if: he doesn’t lose to St Peters in the first round, doesn’t miss the tournament completely, and doesn’t lose to Oakland in the first round. It isn’t as if he had to make the final four every year to keep the fans off his ass; He legitimately fumbled the bag.

From everything I've read, it was less about the fanbase / results and more about the fractured relationship between Cal and the AD. Feels like it has been broken for years and that makes it tough to succeed, even at UK.

Cal must have HATED it at UK to go to Arkansas.

I assume Cal will get a bunch of his UK commits to follow him. His entire staff is coming (which is probably a bad thing, IMO). If Cal doesn't win early, I think it'll be a disaster in a couple of years.

Cal’s assistants are yes men. Cal does things his way, adjustments be damned. He will promise the world to 5* recruits, and will force feed them minutes, even if a 4* kid sitting on the bench is much better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It especially doesnt work in the postseason when you have to adjust constantly. Letting some backup from Oakland light you up for 10 3s is not adjusting your strategy.
He will get AR to the tourney more than once. And he will recruit based on his nba players. But a change in scenery will not change Cal

Back