• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

i don't think so -- a coach showing loyalty to his former player at a time when he's getting a lot of backlash for not being a top choice
Taking money from St. John’s and sending it to another school doesn’t seem weird?

Listening to the KSR radio show today, Matt Jones confirmed they didn’t even consider Beard or Pearl based on background concerns, and Jones also implied that something came up with Nate Oats that made them take him of the list.

Of course you take that all with a grain of salt, but KSR and Matt Jones aren’t AD shills, they have talked a lot of shit about them in the past few years regarding the Kentucky football stadium no-alcohol policy and the AD’s lack of support for NIL.
So then, are they basically saying they reached out to Dan Hurley and after that, said we are good with Mark Pope? That seems hard to believe if true.

Taking money from St. John’s and sending it to another school doesn’t seem weird?
He can't fund St. John's NIL. St. John's doesn't compete with UK.

The current wild west is it against any rules if Forbes wanted to pay a potential transfer straight from his pocket? If that is not allowed then shouldn't it be looked at as wrong if another coach was funding an opposing program's NIL? Otherwise couldn't Forbes and his buddy Jans just donate a million to each other's collective and go get some ballers?

i also don't think it's meant to be taken that literally, more of a "put your money where your mouth is" kind of statement from a guy who knows how to work the press

The current wild west is it against any rules if Forbes wanted to pay a potential transfer straight from his pocket? If that is not allowed then shouldn't it be looked at as wrong if another coach was funding an opposing program's NIL? Otherwise couldn't Forbes and his buddy Jans just donate a million to each other's collective and go get some ballers?
Not allowed. Pitino was talking out his arse, as usual.

So then, are they basically saying they reached out to Dan Hurley and after that, said we are good with Mark Pope? That seems hard to believe if true.
Seems like the shoot for the moon was Hurley, they checked on Nate Oats and Frank Vogel, were confident in landing Scott Drew, and the safety choice was Pope. The timing just didn’t work for waiting on Billy Donovan. Safe to say they were rejected by Hurley, Vogel, and Drew.

Last edited:
what concerns would they have for Pearl that they didn't have for Cal back when he was hired
?…I really want Bruce Pearl to coach one of my teams. I don’t care if it’s the Carolina Panthers or Cincinnati Reds

?…I really want Bruce Pearl to coach one of my teams. I don’t care if it’s the Carolina Panthers or Cincinnati Reds
well, the whole vacated Final Four with Marcus Camby thing, and I think at the time Cal was viewed as an unscrupulous recruiter at Memphis.

Was just poking around the Trilly Donovan discord. He has a section for each conference and school. I just looked at the NC State thread and it started on 3/13/24 with a guy saying he was the first to post and that he was just getting a head start for when the Keatts firing was announced.

A nice reminder of how much changed for NCSU over the last month.

ETA: Trilly even commented at the time that it was ACC Championship or he was toast.

This was the day of the 2nd round game vs. Syracuse (before that game). Top candidates were Will Wade & Pat Kelsey (according to posters, not Trilly).

well, the whole vacated Final Four with Marcus Camby thing, and I think at the time Cal was viewed as an unscrupulous recruiter at Memphis.
Yeah, I still don’t put any creedance into Cal’s reputation as a cheater. Camby took money from an agent before his senior year and bought some jewelry with it. Rose paid or had someone pay for someone to take his SAT for him, Cal hired Dejaun Wagner’s uncle for some bullshit role in the basketball program, and he let a players dad ride on the team plane to an away game. The only one of those things that would really be egregious is the Derrick Rose SAT, and the NCAA never even accused Cal of being connected to that.

Yeah, I still don’t put any creedance into Cal’s reputation as a cheater. Camby took money from an agent before his senior year and bought some jewelry with it. Rose paid or had someone pay for someone to take his SAT for him, Cal hired Dejaun Wagner’s uncle for some bullshit role in the basketball program, and he let a players dad ride on the team plane to an away game. The only one of those things that would really be egregious is the Derrick Rose SAT, and the NCAA never even accused Cal of being connected to that.
I get all that and while Pearl I think had some actual NCAA issues, it was no worse than anything Cal is accused of doing. so the whole bit about Pearl's background having issues seems like they're saving face from a coach at a lesser SEC program turning down Big Blue.

I get all that and while Pearl I think had some actual NCAA issues, it was no worse than anything Cal is accused of doing. so the whole bit about Pearl's background having issues seems like they're saving face from a coach at a lesser SEC program turning down Big Blue.
Oh, I didn’t realize that was what you were saying. Yeah, Pearl didn't do shit but have a barbecue at his house during a dead period(?). That’s nothing. 90% of previous violations look like petty bullshit now in the NIL era. Whatever reasons that UK had for not considering Pearl are probably nonsense. They missed out big time.

Oh, I didn’t realize that was what you were saying. Yeah, Pearl didn't do shit but have a barbecue at his house during a dead period(?). That’s nothing. 90% of previous violations look like petty bullshit now in the NIL era. Whatever reasons that UK had for not considering Pearl are probably nonsense. They missed out big time.
yeah. I get them passing on Oats for the situation last year if they did actually pass on him, but Pearl is dumb.

yeah. I get them passing on Oats for the situation last year if they did actually pass on him, but Pearl is dumb.
I think Pearl and Beard would have been better choices than Pope, I don’t have strong feelings about Shaka either way.

Maybe they should retroretroactively reinstate those retroactively vacated games and tournament victories now that anything goes in NCAA hoops.

Maybe they should retroretroactively reinstate those retroactively vacated games and tournament victories now that anything goes in NCAA hoops.
I would revisit all violations that didn’t involve academic eligibility, crime, or the school or boosters giving improper benefits to recruits. For instance, a junior player getting paid for autographs doesn’t give a school an unfair advantage IMO.

Back