• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Cal’s assistants are yes men. Cal does things his way, adjustments be damned. He will promise the world to 5* recruits, and will force feed them minutes, even if a 4* kid sitting on the bench is much better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It especially doesnt work in the postseason when you have to adjust constantly. Letting some backup from Oakland light you up for 10 3s is not adjusting your strategy.
He will get AR to the tourney more than once. And he will recruit based on his nba players. But a change in scenery will not change Cal
My sons AAU coach was on Cal’s FF team at UMass and they’re still super close. He coached with him in Memphis for a while. He adores him. I do think he’s a players first/loyalty kind of guy almost to a fault. Not saying he’s not slick AF too but he does seem to genuinely give a shit about these people.

My sons AAU coach was on Cal’s FF team at UMass and they’re still super close. He coached with him in Memphis for a while. He adores him. I do think he’s a players first/loyalty kind of guy almost to a fault. Not saying he’s not slick AF too but he does seem to genuinely give a shit about these people.
I listened to Calipari's presser. I'm not convinced his approach still works in 2024.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I agree. Cal was killing it 2007-2012. But it isnt 2010 anymore. College ball has changed, he hasnt. A lot like how Izzo isnt much of a threat anymore. You have to adapt. Saban adapted constantly. Badmouthing no huddle one year, running no huddle the next.

I agree RE: Cal. I was talking with my kentucky sauce and they said he is being stubborn at working the portal and wants to continue with bringing in top HS talent that he has been doing for the last 15 years. They kept asking to modify but he likes his style and felt that every year he has a top 1-5 class and that should be good enough. Unfortunately for him over the last 5 years it has proven that skilled upperclassmen are beating highly skilled freshmen.

he lost a lot of the big $ supporters but did still have his group of big $ friends. so he was getting money for being him and not for the program. they were going to just part ways when the AD retired, but i guess Cal wanted to a big FU to the perceived unappreciative fans (that last part is my speculation). he could have just been fired and get almost as much money that he got from Ar-Kansas. so seems like bad blood (also my speculation).

I agree

I think Cal has prioritized his players above everything else over the course of his career

Can’t believe Kentucky hired a guy with (0) tournament wins, but I am excited about a consistent coaching strategy game to game instead of just trying to out-talent everybody with freshman every season and complaining about their youth when they lose.

Can’t believe Kentucky hired a guy with (0) tournament wins, but I am excited about a consistent coaching strategy game to game instead of just trying to out-talent everybody with freshman every season and complaining about their youth when they lose.
0 Tournament wins and 0 conference titles (regular season or tournament). The loss to Duquesne this year was both embarrassing and alarming.

To be fair to Pope, BYU historically underperforms in basketball tournaments. This past season when they beat State to win the Vegas Showdown tourney, it was their first tournament win (mid-season, postseason, or conference) since Jimmer beat Dellavadova in the South Padre Island Tournament in 2010.

I like Pope and wish him well but if he can't figure out how to win NCAA or SEC tournament games, then he'll be gone in three years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Our Wake Forest coach has only 1 NCAA tourney loss.

And none at his current school!

0 Tournament wins and 0 conference titles (regular season or tournament). The loss to Duquesne this year was both embarrassing and alarming.

To be fair to Pope, BYU historically underperforms in basketball tournaments. This past season when they beat State to win the Vegas Showdown tourney, it was their first tournament win (mid-season, postseason, or conference) since Jimmer beat Dellavadova in the South Padre Island Tournament in 2010.

I like Pope and wish him well but if he can't figure out how to win NCAA or SEC tournament games, then he'll be gone in three years.

Also look for former Chris Burgess to replace Pope at BYU. He played at Duke for a year or two in the late 90s.

did UK ever go after Beard?

saw his name around a lot, but not much about UK actually making contact

wonder if his baggage is just too much (as it should be)

you've gotta admit it's very funny that your team did this with all the posts you have made the whole year about judging coaches on tournaments and tournaments alone.

did UK ever go after Beard?

saw his name around a lot, but not much about UK actually making contact

wonder if his baggage is just too much (as it should be)
Listening to the KSR radio show today, Matt Jones confirmed they didn’t even consider Beard or Pearl based on background concerns, and Jones also implied that something came up with Nate Oats that made them take him of the list.

Of course you take that all with a grain of salt, but KSR and Matt Jones aren’t AD shills, they have talked a lot of shit about them in the past few years regarding the Kentucky football stadium no-alcohol policy and the AD’s lack of support for NIL.

Listening to the KSR radio show today, Matt Jones confirmed they didn’t even consider Beard or Pearl based on background concerns, and Jones also implied that something came up with Nate Oats that made them take him of the list.

Of course you take that all with a grain of salt, but KSR and Matt Jones aren’t AD shills, they have talked a lot of shit about them in the past few years regarding the Kentucky football stadium no-alcohol policy and the AD’s lack of support for NIL.
"we never offered anyway"

"we never offered anyway"
My opinion, but I don’t think KSR spins shit to “save face” for UK because their main audience is Kentucky fans and they get a shit load of engagement from negativity as well as positivity. Calipari was very close with KSR for the first half of his tenure then completely cut them off when Jones became critical of him on the radio. When Kentucky has been rejected by recruits or coaches in the past KSR hasn’t tried to spin it.

the thing that came up with nate oats was probably that he said he didn't want the job

Back