• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

It is, again, infuriating to me that Indiana State is above us in RPI.

Falco throwing 4 innings of 2 hit shoutout baseball was encouraging. If we want to go deep, we will need him show up big in the postseason
Guessing it was discussed at some point yesterday on here, but I think he should be our third starter with Massey coming in for relief.

Seems like a win-win for both guys to me, especially if Sundays/our third game in a regional/supers is going to be a total "all hands on deck" situation anyway.

Guessing it was discussed at some point yesterday on here, but I think he should be our third starter with Massey coming in for relief.

Seems like a win-win for both guys to me, especially if Sundays/our third game in a regional/supers is going to be a total "all hands on deck" situation anyway.
I think Massey likely missed yesterday because of some lingering injury, so the Falco starter thing is probably going to happen. Although I'm not particularly confident that he will ever last more than once through the order against actually good teams, so we're basically going to be in the same spot we were in except without Falco in the bullpen.

As bad as he has been this year, it's still going to be a real gut punch if Massey is done for the year or something. Going to require guys like Morningstar and Leffew to really step up and get through some innings against good teams.

It might be a good plan, but I think people are assuming that Massey will magically start pitching well if he moves into relief. But his issues have been mostly around command (and from the gate).

Massey hasn’t shown any of the usual traits you see in should-be relievers who struggle when moving into a starting role (diminished stuff, trouble the second and third time through the order, fatigue leading to poor command later in games). Massey has been struggling from the first batter of starts, but his raw stuff still looks pretty good.

It might be a good plan, but I think people are assuming that Massey will magically start pitching well if he moves into relief. But his issues have been mostly around command (and from the gate).

Massey hasn’t shown any of the usual traits you see in should-be relievers who struggle when moving into a starting role (diminished stuff, trouble the second and third time through the order, fatigue leading to poor command later in games). Massey has been struggling from the first batter of starts, but his raw stuff still looks pretty good.
All of this is why I believe that Massey has some sort of lingering injury issue that has been a problem since the early season when it happened. He didn't suddenly go from a pitcher with great command last year to a pitcher that can barely throw strikes just because he's pitching in the first inning of games now.

Maybe if we shut him down for a week or two he can recover somewhat from whatever it is and then at least be an option as a high leverage reliever in the postseason.

I'm just hoping the Doctor he sees today doesn't have bad news. Regardless of the Starter/Reliever debate, he's still an arm we don't really have the luxury of losing. Even if its only been 2-4 innings a week.

What do we think needs to be done to lock-up hosting a regional?

8 games left:

A&T and Liberty (both at home)
Clemson (home)
State (away)

Let's just assume we win both noncon games, which could be risky given some of our struggles, but I would think 3-3 against ACC teams would get it done?

Would at least give us some leeway heading to Charlotte since that's a complete crapshoot in the pool system they've got.

8 games left:

Clemson (home)
State (away)

Let's just assume we win both noncon games, which could be risky given some of our struggles, but I would think 3-3 against ACC teams would get it done?

Would at least give us some leeway heading to Charlotte since that's a complete crapshoot in the pool system they've got.
I think that pretty much regardless of which 3 games are the losses, 5-3 gets the job done. I even think there's a world in which 4-4 gets Wake there as long as they win one of the two ACC series.

Our current resume is not as good as it should be given the preseason #1 ranking, but it's also better than a lot of posters here want to give credit for.

5-3 for sure
4-4 will be a sweat, may need 2 ACCT wins

I don't think we've talked enough about how difficult Wake's schedule has been. By the end of the regular season, Wake will have had 3-game series against the current #2, #8, #9, #10, #11, and #23 teams. That's 32% of the schedule. Add in two games against Coastal, a neutral site game against UNCW, and a road series against VT, and it's a damn hard schedule.

It's pretty remarkable that things have been basically worst case scenario with 2/3 of the weekend rotation and Wake is still in solid position to host a regional with that schedule.

I don't think we've talked enough about how difficult Wake's schedule has been. By the end of the regular season, Wake will have had 3-game series against the current #2, #8, #9, #10, #11, and #23 teams. That's 32% of the schedule. Add in two games against Coastal, a neutral site game against UNCW, and a road series against VT, and it's a damn hard schedule.

It's pretty remarkable that things have been basically worst case scenario with 2/3 of the weekend rotation and Wake is still in solid position to host a regional with that schedule.
Hopefully this tough schedule pays dividends and will have proven to sharpen our boys for when it really matters in the post season!

8 games left:

Clemson (home)
State (away)

Maybe I'm looking too into it, but there are still big what ifs for me.

We win the Clemson series and I think we all but lock up a regional on our own.

We lose the series, and it could depend on what State does this week too. They have a series against #10 UVA this weekend. The difference between them winning and losing that series could be a top 20 matchup, or us playing an un-ranked State.

ACC standings:

Atlantic

Clemson 17-7 (36-10)
FSU 14-9 (35-10)
NC State 13-10 (26-18)
L'ville 13-11 (29-18)
WF 12-12 (32-16)
ND 9-18 (25-21)
BC 8-19 (21-25)

Coastal

UNC 17-7 (35-11)
UVA 14-10 (35-12)
Duke 14-10 (32-14)
VT 13-11 (31-14)
GT 12-12 28-17
Miami 8-16 (21-25)
Pitt 6-18 19-24

Remaining ACC series:

This upcoming weekend:

Duke at GT
Clemson at WF
L'ville at UNC
FSU at Pitt
Miami at VT
NC State at UVA

Final weekend:

BC at Clemson
GT at FSU
ND at L'ville
VT at UVA
WF at NC State
UNC at Duke
Pitt at Miami

Of course the three ACC teams that WF won't play are the the three worst teams in the Coastal.

Last edited:
Back