• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Football Schedule to be Released at 3, 2014 Wake Schedule in OP

Great news! The aWAKEning begins on national TV.

According to ESPN's Brett McMurphy, the ACC voted to keep the ACC schedule at 8 league games a year. Starting in 2017, every team must play one OOC Power Conference team. It is undecided but Navy, Army, and BYU might be included with the Power Conference teams.

Last edited:
I'd love to start an ACC vs. SEC series. Teams that don't play a traditional rival will be matched up with a team during the season. I'd be cool with it only being 9 games total to add some flexibility and then the series can end the last week of the season with the four traditional rivalry games.

FSU-UF
Clemson-SC
GT-UGA
UL-UK

According to ESPN's Brett McMurphy, the ACC voted to keep the ACC schedule at 8 league games a year. Starting in 2017, every team must play one OOC Power Conference team. It is undecided but Navy, Army, and BYU might be included with the Power Conference teams.

I'm looking forward to this and hopeful for some interesting OOC matchups in the future. I'd like to see a game against NW.

According to ESPN's Brett McMurphy, the ACC voted to keep the ACC schedule at 8 league games a year. Starting in 2017, every team must play one Power Conference level team. Navy, Army, and BYU might be included with the Power Conference teams.

Lame. Every BCS conference team should play 9 conference games. Realize that ND is the issue because no ream wants to play 9 conference games plus ND, plus your OOC BCS rival (UGA, South Carolina, Florida). Why not just count the ND game as a conference game for the 5 teams that play ND each year? So, when you play ND, that counts as a conference game, when you do not, you must play another ACC team? FWIW, there is precedent for that in the ACC. In the 1970s, WF played VT instead of UVA before VT was an ACC team, and the VT/WF game counted as an ACC conference game for WF.

I'm okay with the 8 game conference schedule, but I'd like to see them do away with the divisions so that we play Coastal opponents more often.

I'm okay with the 8 game conference schedule, but I'd like to see them do away with the divisions so that we play Coastal opponents more often.
I agree. Maybe have a couple rivals who you play every year but then rotate the rest of the teams every year. Then the top two teams in ACC records play for the title. It seems that the ACC is moving towards this with the conference asking the NCAA to allow them to not use conference winners as the qualification for the title game.

I agree. Maybe have a couple rivals who you play every year but then rotate the rest of the teams every year. Then the top two teams in ACC records play for the title. It seems that the ACC is moving towards this with the conference asking the NCAA to allow them to not use conference winners as the qualification for the title game.

Yeah, I think each team should have two or three permanent rivals and then rotate games around that schedule. If you eliminate divisions it increases the odds of bringing in Notre Dame as a full member imo.

Yeah, I think each team should have two or three permanent rivals and then rotate games around that schedule. If you eliminate divisions it increases the odds of bringing in Notre Dame as a full member imo.

Makes plenty of sense. The top 2 teams play in the ACCCG.

While the ACC is no doubt trying to scheduling more games with SEC opponent, this move to replicate the SEC's scheduling (8 conference, 1 power OOC) seems like the ACC is trying to strengthen its overall connections and partnerships with the SEC. Two conferences (especially the best one and the one with the most recent national champ) can affect the future of college football over just one of them, especially in the face of the other three conferences wanting to have 9 conference games and other changes.

If you put these posts together, you come up with the idea of 8 conf games + (ND or SEC opponent) which means ND will never play GT,F$U, UL or Clemson. We'll play ND or S'Carolina / A&M etc. A cupcake, an Academy, and a Sun Belt/MAC and we'll be just fine.

Wake will probably just continue to play army or navy as the power conference team but maybe that's changing with Grobe gone.

The 8 game schedule needed 8 votes to pass and got 8 votes. If an ACC team gets passed over for the playoff, this might change. In '15 we have Utah St and Indiana at home, ND and Army on the road. '16 its Delaware and Tulane at home and Indiana and someone else on the road. We won't have to fear not making the playoffs for a while.

Wake will probably just continue to play army or navy as the power conference team but maybe that's changing with Grobe gone.

According to the ESPN report, the power conference team must come from a "power 5" conference: SEC, Big 10, Big 12 or Pac 10. Not the American. So, playing Army or Navy will not count.

According to the ESPN report, the power conference team must come from a "power 5" conference: SEC, Big 10, Big 12 or Pac 10. Not the American. So, playing Army or Navy will not count.

With four OOC games to fill, we can do both. With ND and Indiana on tap for the next three years, that covers out "Big Boy" game. One 1-AA team, a Academy and a lower D-1 team.

Grobe significantly increased the difficulty of the OOC schedules Wake played during his tenure.

Back