• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

The athletic department and moneybags who have been supporting Manning and need to buy him out literally have less money than they did a week ago. So they’re scared.

Total speculation, but I doubt that the big donors think that way. The little guys , like most everyone on this Board do, but people with extreme wealth factor in economic downturns in their decisions . It’s not like they had 15 Mill , (that is now 10 mill) and are thinking of giving 5 Mill to Wake.

People who expect Manning to have been fired in the last 72 hours given everything going on globally and closer to home are totally uninformed about how life/business/the world actually work.
Eh, not really. I run a business and I have a day job. My wife runs a business. In all of the above, I/we still have to do the normally planned work on top of all of the changes and preparation for Corona. THAT is the way life/business/the world actually works.

Exactly. There is zero reason to not have pulled the trigger by now unless a decision has it yet been made which is worse

Eh, not really. I run a business and I have a day job. My wife runs a business. In all of the above, I/we still have to do the normally planned work on top of all of the changes and preparation for Corona. THAT is the way life/business/the world actually works.

Congratulations and good for you.

But there’s no way Manning is getting fired without an end of year review. That’s just how the world, at least this particular world, works. And that meeting certainly wasn’t scheduled for any time before next week. So the earliest we’re hearing anything is mid next week. Not sure what that’s so hard for you to understand. Even if you don’t agree with it, it’s the process here.

Current events may push it out a week or two. Again, not hard to understand even if it’s not your jam.

But some of you freaking out because a Manning wasn’t fired in the tunnel following the Pitt loss says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about Wake.

But there’s no way Manning is getting fired without an end of year review. That’s just how the world, at least this particular world, works. And that meeting certainly wasn’t scheduled for any time before next week. So the earliest we’re hearing anything is mid next week. Not sure what that’s so hard for you to understand. Even if you don’t agree with it, it’s the process here.

Current events may push it out a week or two. Again, not hard to understand even if it’s not your jam.

But some of you freaking out because a Manning wasn’t fired in the tunnel following the Pitt loss says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about Wake.

Lol, I love how some posters pretend to be "above it all" every year at the end of the season.

Why would a firing require an end of year review? What is there to review if you're firing someone? I don't run reviews with my employees before letting them go. The review happened a while before that in order to give them a chance to get their shit together. The idea that Currie is going to sit down with Manning and run through the year for an hour, and then, after it all done, let him know that we aren't keeping him around is silly. There may be a meeting to officially say "see ya", but that's about it. The fact that Wellman probably did it doesn't make it normal.

Lol, I love how some posters pretend to be "above it all" every year at the end of the season.

Why would a firing require an end of year review? What is there to review if you're firing someone? I don't run reviews with my employees before letting them go. The review happened a while before that in order to give them a chance to get their shit together. The idea that Currie is going to sit down with Manning and run through the year for an hour, and then, after it all done, let him know that we aren't keeping him around is silly. There may be a meeting to officially say "see ya", but that's about it. The fact that Wellman probably did it doesn't make it normal.

Wake Forest is one weird place according to Bob.

Wake Forest is one weird place according to Bob.

It was run by a weird dude who didn't listen to anyone else. Going to take some time to change the culture and back out out all of the absurdities.

Unless he does something to be fired during a game, Bob is right about an exit review/interview,

Unless he does something to be fired during a game, Bob is right about an exit review/interview,

RJ, did you see the Twitter DM I got from Hatch over on your PUT UP thread?!?!!!

Last edited:
Going to be such an awkward call.

"Look Danny, I know we've been trying to negotiate your firing for weeks now and that it's clear we don't want you to work here, but now that we have a deal in place, before I can let you leave and cut you a check, I've got to sit down and run through the season with you. Sorry, it's just the way things work in this world. Can't get around it. It's protocol. Let me know when you have a couple hours free. Have your people talk to my people...not about your contract since that's already taken care of...just so we can schedule some time to sit down awkwardly with each other for a few hours before we can let you leave. Thanks!"

Great point......and one of our biggest donors, Mit Shah, is in the hotel business, which isn't going to be great during the CoronaVirus period.

Going to be such an awkward call.

"Look Danny, I know we've been trying to negotiate your firing for weeks now and that it's clear we don't want you to work here, but now that we have a deal in place, before I can let you leave and cut you a check, I've got to sit down and run through the season with you. Sorry, it's just the way things work in this world. Can't get around it. It's protocol. Let me know when you have a couple hours free. Have your people talk to my people...not about your contract since that's already taken care of...just so we can schedule some time to sit down awkwardly with each other for a few hours before we can let you leave. Thanks!"

:laugh:

Anyone in the world can watch the most important part of Manning's job. He's had that job for 6 years. Manning gets asked about his job performance after every game plus once a week during a coaches show. At any time, Currie can meet with him to evaluate his performance. The idea that there has to be an end of season evaluation is just nuts.

Anyone in the world can watch the most important part of Manning's job. He's had that job for 6 years. Manning gets asked about his job performance after every game plus once a week during a coaches show. At any time, Currie can meet with him to evaluate his performance. The idea that there has to be an end of season evaluation is just nuts.

Do you need to say anything beyond the notice that you’re ready to begin buyout negotiations?

Maybe Currie has to have his own sit-down annual review with Hatch before he knows he'll be retained as AD, and thus in a position to fire Manning. But with many of our trustees being older folk and some would have to fly to W-S, my guess is the BOT has postponed their annual review of Hatch indefinitely, meaning it may be a while before Hatch can review Currie, and Currie in turn review Manning.
Complicated, but that's the way it has to go; shame on you who don't understand how things work in the "real world".

Maybe Currie has to have his own sit-down annual review with Hatch before he knows he'll be retained as AD, and thus in a position to fire Manning. But with many of our trustees being older folk and some would have to fly to W-S, my guess is the BOT has postponed their annual review of Hatch indefinitely, meaning it may be a while before Hatch can review Currie, and Currie in turn review Manning.
Complicated, but that's the way it has to go; shame on you who don't understand how things work in the "real world".

That’s right, and Hatch has to have his end of year review with the Board, and each Board member has to end of year review the guy to his left, and it goes in and on. Manning’s review may not be scheduled till about November.

Back