• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

According to 247, we were interested in Hennigan but didn't offer.

In my section I heard App fans booing one of our injured players because they assumed he was faking, and booing our band. To his credit, one App fan responded to the latter by scolding the section, "We are better than that."

I'm sure Clawson will say that we go after a special type of kid with the right character, background, grades and so on and say that Wake has to be the right fit for Wake and the student athlete etc.

He won't say that this player did not meet those specifications but by responding that way he certainly implies that.

I won't research this player but suspect that we just missed on this kid.

The kid was fun to watch no doubt. We should just admit we missed him and should have offered him.

Maybe, but it's just as likely that we got the guys that in several cases both Wake and APP wanted, and APP had to "settle" for Hennigan and he happened to work out well for the Mountaineers. For example, I'd bet the farm that Wake offered other highly-rated QB's and had to "settle" for Riley Skinner, and Skinner would have loved to have played for a Florida or Georgia but had to "settle" for an offer from Wake. It's a little amusing that when some unknown player hits it big at Small U. b/c the narrative is they identified his immense talent while the big boys passed on them, but in fact Small U. only offered b/c that's what was left over after the big boys made their selections.

It's not going to change for reasons Lohengrin laid out in another thread.

Look, the game draws a crowd and is fun for a subset of Wake fans that live or grew up in NC. Beyond that, there's no benefit to Wake. Wake has to recruit nationally for obvious reasons and many of Wake's players (and students for that matter) have probably never ever heard of App State. There is no "rivalry" and we shouldn't be trying to start one.

It baffles me that people who talk up the "one FCS game each year" formula also want us to play App State.

truth hit my ear

Comparing App to an FCS team at this point is pretty stupid. Even the best FCS teams wouldn't come close to compiling 10 wins in a FBS season, as App did last year.

The academies don't have great athletes either but they find a way to win plenty of games. If we don't schedule the Apps of the world we're gonna quickly run out of teams to play

I remember being at the Clemson game in '07. We had 6 wins in a row, then a loss at UVa on a last second FG miss. Our seats were down close to the endzone. Clemson scored on a deep out right in front of us. Phonz and the safety were going at each other after the play. They were sooo unprepared and Grobe even mentioned the same sentiment afterwards. They played like they practiced all week. They went on to win their last three games bye at least two TDs. It was Grobe's second best season. I'm sure that Claw will get his message across. I'm sure that we'll play much better against F$U.

A last second field goal miss.

Oh, you mean when Grobe blasted the ball up the gut 3 times without any attempt to truly gain a yard, just to set up the chip shot 47 yard field goal, on the road.

That miss was only a surprise to Grobe.

Probably a non-qualifier.

He was offered by Army, Navy, Virginia and Furman. Think again. He seems like the type of player we would offer. He had a great high school career and played in the Shrine Bowl.

A last second field goal miss.

Oh, you mean when Grobe blasted the ball up the gut 3 times without any attempt to truly gain a yard, just to set up the chip shot 47 yard field goal, on the road.

That miss was only a surprise to Grobe.

Yup. That's true. But the attitude of the team stayed in a state of contentment until Clemson pulled our pants down. We were a different, more determined team. What has changed for us after Scotty blocked the kick. Are we the mighty juggernaut avg. 41 point a game in its first 3 games, or are we the team that had EIGHT 3 and outs vs the Boone-ies.

I feel a little odd.
Wake seems to loose games by miscues not win.

Big win for Wake. I thought Wake would win by about 3 touchdowns.
First half was frustrating to watch.

He was offered by Army, Navy, Virginia and Furman. Think again. He seems like the type of player we would offer. He had a great high school career and played in the Shrine Bowl.

We missed big time. He would start for us as well. Really surprising how Cortez has now got the drops after making some spectacular catches as a freshman. We need some WR to step up other than Dortch and Scotty.

We missed big time. He would start for us as well. Really surprising how Cortez has now got the drops after making some spectacular catches as a freshman. We need some WR to step up other than Dortch and Scotty.

Hennigan, as a true freshman, has already made a huge impact at App. He played at NW Guilford and was a Shrine Bowl Captain as a senior. Thomas was named an all-conference athlete in both basketball and football.

For those of you suggesting that App might recruit "non-qualifiers" who could not make the grade at Wake, please think again. App typically does not offer athletes who cannot succeed academically. Student-athletes who come to schools like App know that a pro career is a long shot and that their education is what will carry them after school is over. We have not recruited any players with anything close to academic eligibility issues.

We have had two football players in the past 5 years who became academically ineligible beyond their first year. Latrell Gibbs missed last year and will not return. Terrence Upshaw (#21) missed last year and spent the time wisely getting his grades up to be able to play this year as a senior.

Terrence Upshaw tore us apart on Saturday. He has looked much better than the Sun Belt Preseason POY in Jalin Moore so far this season.

Hennigan was a good looking athlete. Lotta swivel in those hips.

I think our cornerbacks may suck a little bit too.

I don't think they suck, I think they are young. I really thought Dionte Austin was our best corner coming into the year and of course he's gone for personal reasons, so that hurt. I think Henderson and Bassey are decent corners, but they have to progress and that takes time. Ja'Sir Taylor I think will be good too, but it's asking a lot of true freshman to come and play against college passing schemes as a true freshman.

Given that he was offered by those programs and chose App, it may not have been so much as a miss on our part, as it was a matter of him not being interested in us for whatever reason. If you reach out to recruit and they say no way, sometimes you move on. Some people here act as if we offered, he would have accepted automatically.

It's not going to change for reasons Lohengrin laid out in another thread.

Look, the game draws a crowd and is fun for a subset of Wake fans that live or grew up in NC. Beyond that, there's no benefit to Wake. Wake has to recruit nationally for obvious reasons and many of Wake's players (and students for that matter) have probably never ever heard of App State. There is no "rivalry" and we shouldn't be trying to start one.

It baffles me that people who talk up the "one FCS game each year" formula also want us to play App State.

QFT

Back