• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletes Removing Toilet Paper From Quad

Can someone find the email that went to students?

Date: Mar 21, 2014 4:27 PM
Subject: A Message from President Hatch
To: <broadcast-all@lists.wfu.edu>
Cc:

Dear Wake Forest Community,

Yesterday, after the announcement that Jeff [Redacted] had resigned as Wake Forest’s head basketball coach, some members of our community took it upon themselves to roll the quad. Rolling the quad, as every Wake Forester knows, is a tradition celebrating competitive success.

Aaron Rountree III, a Wake Forest sophomore on the basketball team tweeted, “’Rolling The Quad’ should be reserved for glorifying the success of Wake Forest University, not for the disrespect of another human being.” I could not say it better.

Civility is a hallmark of our community and I am disappointed that yesterday’s misplaced passion did not accurately portray our values to the country. Dozens of people came out this afternoon to clean the quad and for that I am grateful.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

Can someone find the email that went to students?

Yesterday, after the announcement that Jeff [Redacted] had resigned as Wake Forest’s head basketball coach, some members of our community took it upon themselves to roll the quad. Rolling the quad, as every Wake Forester knows, is a tradition celebrating competitive success.

Aaron Rountree III, a Wake Forest sophomore on the basketball team tweeted, “’Rolling The Quad’ should be reserved for glorifying the success of Wake Forest University, not for the disrespect of another human being.” I could not say it better.

Civility is a hallmark of our community and I am disappointed that yesterday’s misplaced passion did not accurately portray our values to the country. Dozens of people came out this afternoon to clean the quad and for that I am grateful.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

Date: Mar 21, 2014 4:27 PM
Subject: A Message from President Hatch
To: <broadcast-all@lists.wfu.edu>
Cc:

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

Now that's a guy who is really in touch. :rulz:

And how is rolling it in response to firing our worst basketball coach ever not glorifying the success of Wake Forest?

This is ridiculous. I love how the school assumes that students didn't roll the quad as a "goodbye, good luck, thanks for the memories, Coach Bz." The fact it was so clear the students were doing it in celebration of Bz's departure is on the administration and proves they waited too long to make a change.

I mean, let's say Coach K retires. I think it'd be great for the students to roll the quad to celebrate K's career achievements. Would the school object? My point is, you can't get inside the head of every student who rolls the quad and know why they participated.

Coaches want to go to a place where the fanbase cares about winning. I'm pretty sure most candidates would understand and respect why the students rolled the quad.

They also want to go where they will have support from their AD. Despite what everyone thinks about Wellman, he did stand by [Redacted] and gave him ample opportunity to get things going.

This is ridiculous. I love how the school assumes that students didn't roll the quad as a "goodbye, good luck, thanks for the memories, Coach Bz." The fact it was so clear the students were doing it in celebration of Bz's departure is on the administration and proves they waited too long to make a change.

I mean, let's say Coach K retires. I think it'd be great for the students to roll the quad to celebrate K's career achievements. Would the school object? My point is, you can't get inside the head of every student who rolls the quad and know why they participated.

I tend to agree with this. Also, I think it is kind of interesting that an academic like Hatch wants to put the breaks on the expression and free flow of student ideas. I wonder if wake had something like the free expression tunnel, or some other forum where you can say whatever you choose, what the reaction would be (if any) from the administration.

Yeah, it was ridiculous to assume that "fact."

Some actions are hard to interpret. This wasn't. The only question is whether you approve.

I tend to agree with this. Also, I think it is kind of interesting that an academic like Hatch wants to put the breaks on the expression and free flow of student ideas. I wonder if wake had something like the free expression tunnel, or some other forum where you can say whatever you choose, what the reaction would be (if any) from the administration.

Agree. It really is a scary action from a university president. Imagine if there was an actual anti-Bz student protest. Would Hatch and Ron have tried to send student-athletes to break it up? Rolling the quad to celebrate Bz's resignation is very mild considering other things that could have happened.

When will the "Rolling the Quad Rules and Regulations" be released? "Any student found rolling the quad for any reason on any day when a Wake Forest athletic team has not beaten a Top-25 team will be arrested by the Wake Forest Police Department."

Agree. It really is a scary action from a university president. Imagine if there was an actual anti-Bz student protest. Would Hatch and Ron have tried to send student-athletes to break it up? Rolling the quad to celebrate Bz's resignation is very mild considering other things that could have happened.

I suppose, technically, TP rolling is littering/vandalizing or something, right? I mean, you can't just roll your neighbor's yard. The university allows it as a "tradition," but I suppose they could bar people from doing it. It's sort of different than a protest or free speech issue.

Having said that, it's troubling Hatch would stoop to this, and I'm afraid it shows how out-of-touch everyone at the top really is. I mean, he really gained nothing from doing it but came off looking like a putz. It's troubling to say the least. I would hope he would be busy making sure Ron hires a good coach rather than piddling with emails to students over this. Priorities and shit.

Many protests violate some law or statute like vandalism or loitering or something. The question is if somebody is a dick enough about it to do something about it.

I met Hatch and spoke to him for about 20 minutes one on one at a Wake event 5 years ago. I found him to be very arrogant...very impressed with himself. He said some derogatory things about other schools and even the neighborhood we were in for the function that, while not entirely inaccurate, just weren't classy or appropriate. Anyway, that was followed up by his ordering the fraternity letters down and giving himself a huge raise.

Examining these facts and experiences as a whole I am cemented in my conclusion that Nathan Hatch is an asshat.

I met Hatch and spoke to him for about 20 minutes one on one at a Wake event 5 years ago. I found him to be very arrogant...very impressed with himself. He said some derogatory things about other schools and even the neighborhood we were in for the function that, while not entirely inaccurate, just weren't classy or appropriate. Anyway, that was followed up by his ordering the fraternity letters down and giving himself a huge raise.

Examining these facts and experiences as a whole I am cemented in my conclusion that Nathan Hatch is an asshat.

I have a similar story about Wellman. Except he said some derogatory things about the gin I was drinking. I will never forgive him for that.

Back