• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball Triple Crown

Shorty

Boomer Boy
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this discussed elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own thread regardless. Miguel Cabrera is on the verge of accomplishing what has only been done 13 times during baseball's modern era. The Triple Crown hasn't been won in the American League since 1967 and in the National League since 1937. The names of some of the players who have won it are Yastrzemsli, Robinson, Mantle, Williams, Gehrig, Hornsby, and Cobb.

As of last night's games, here are the stats:

Batting Average:
Cabrera .331
Trout .323

Home Runs:
Cabrera 42
Hamilton 42

RBI:
Cabrera 133
Hamilton 123

I'm rooting for him.

It's amazing this isn't getting more play. This should be a major major sports story.

It's also sad that people are still talking about giving Trout the MVP over the first Triple crown in the sport in over 40 years.

Because they want Trout to be the new golden boy of baseball so badly they actually may totally screw over a triple crown winner for MVP.

or they value all three parts of the game, of which, trout is phenomenally better at all three. it is very similar to the '47 award vote when dimaggio beat out williams (though a lot of that is due to personality/team), and trout's offensive season is pretty much equivalent to miggy cab's.

I think he's close to a lock to do it. Hamilton isn't even playing right now, is he? He might be out for the last 10 games. About all that Cabrera has to do is hit one more homerun. Eight points is a nice lead in average at this point in the season.

(Shame he won't get to play in the post season. :))
He's starting tonight....been out for the past 5 games, though.

It's not like Trout isn't deserving or anything though. Trouts WAR 10.4 > Cabrera's 6.8

:couch:

exactly. he's a gold glove quality center fielder, probably the best baserunner in baseball, and his offensive year is on par with miggy's.

I didn't say anything about who would or wouldn't deserve it. I just think when you put Triple Crown Winner after a guy's name, he's going to get the votes.

true. i think that is one flaw with the way the awards are doled out.

It's also sad that people are still talking about giving Trout the MVP over the first Triple crown in the sport in over 40 years.

WAR

Trout: 10.4

Cabrera: 6.8

Cabrera and McCutchen are tied for second in the majors in WAR, but neither even approaches Trout. He's almost 4 WAR better than any other player in baseball, which is incredible.

What do you think about the 1941 AL MVP contest, phan? All the talk about Cabrera/Trout got me to thinking about that one.

it looks pretty similar to 47 to me. granted i'd say teddy ballgame deserved it both times, but that has more to do with the huge difference between their offensive seasons (teddy walked more which wasnt appreciated then, and there wasnt a huge baserunning difference largely due to era i'd imagine).

exactly. he's a gold glove quality center fielder, probably the best baserunner in baseball, and his offensive year is on par with miggy's.

Trout could be the next Mickey Mantle. I love watching him play. But just looking at this year, Cabrera has driven in 55 more runs for his team than did Trout. Trout is going to finish fourth on his own team in RBI's.

If it comes down to these two guys, which it probably will, the question is who is more valuable to their team in 2012. IMO, the Tigers would be worse off without Cabrera than the Angels would be without Trout.

well he's also scored more runs. and if youve watched the 2012 tigers play defense id bet youd say he's cost his team some serious runs as well which contrasts well with trout having brought back at least 3 homeruns not to mention countless doubles and singles.

i'd bet if trout batted in the three hole he'd have quite a bit more ribeyes as well.

What do you think about the 1941 AL MVP contest, phan? All the talk about Cabrera/Trout got me to thinking about that one.

Teddy Ballgame was a dick to reporters. I remember reading in his autobiography that he had a higher BA than Dimag during the streak and that he later learned that one sportswriter didn't even list him in the top ten, after he'd hit .406. Any top ten vote from one more voter would have won him the award (I think I'm remembering the right year. Williams was hosed on MVP votes more than once). The year Joe Gordon won it over him was a joke.

But there is that dick thing.

'41 is when he hit .400 and didnt win. in '47 he won the TC and didn't.

Back