• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

Without question RJ knows horses. As for hoops, this season will answer a lot of questions. So far, just me, Buzz, Chill, Battle, Rusty, Travis, CJ, the Super Seven, Chase, Wellman and a few others on the bandwagon. Plenty of room. I may be wrong, but I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

Apologies for the optomism. Carry on.

Nice thread Jbone, welcome back to the bandwagon. Maybe the new Mercedes is a sign he's set to ink an extension? I'd like to see us competing with the top teams again and it looks like they have done the recruiting to do so. Should be an exiting year.

I think a lot of people will be surprised how much better we are this year - even more so if we can find a center (or play Andre).

It is going to be a fun year of Wake hoops as we start to turn the corner IMO. Can't wait to see this team hit the hardwood!

He has had my approval from day 1. When did you stop beating your wife?

That said, I am expecting significant improvement this year to somewhere in the middle of the pack in the ACC.

Agreed - and you are delusional if you don't think we can be middle of the pack next year if we get another big man that can bang. If you care to bet against Jeff, Rusty, Jeff and Chill's ability to bring in a big man - even late in the game - I'll take that action.

And you should take your anti-depressants. The sky is not falling. CJ and Travis are hard working winners, we have a great class coming in, including two good point guards and a great coaching staff - even if you don't like the head coach's ties, car or yoga mat. If we get a PF or C that can bang, we can be middle of the pack next year and better the year after.

Yeah, because of where he has been and the relatively short stints it is hard to draw too many conclusions. I know the out camp points to that as a reason it was a poor hire - and that is a valid point. I just think he can coach and we'll start to see it next year when he has some talent. May be starting to see it now, but I think we have to string a couple more good games together.

Adding anyone else who can bang in the post next year will make us a possible tournament team. Better jump on the bandwagon now, the train is leaving the station.

Someone archive this, please. I predict we add a PF or C who can play next year, we make the tournament, DeacVision7 changes his name to DV8 (from prior posts) and ChrisL changes his name to ChrisW.

I have already guaranteed 8 ACC wins next year, no excuses.

I guess these were a few prophecies that didn't self-fulfill. Good thing the world is also full of sniveling cowardice that lets people go fleeing from their guarantees and shun all accountability.

The recap of the scout premium chat had nothing mentioning Moore

meh...

we're probably on to "bigger and better things because he wasn't our top prospect anyway [insert the name of some 3-star guy we wanted all along, but only offered in late July]." -every premium chat report ever

His videos are pretty terrible IMO. But so are haas'. The two three stars are more impressive on tape

Unrelated but the guy who runs DC Assault, big AAU team, has been charged with distributing heroin:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...-curtis-malone-charged-in-drug-investigation/

This is the type of guy that Gary Williams said he wouldn't play ball with, fwiw.

why do i feel like when things next go south... uh... further south... r dub points to this guy as the type of battle bzz and wake fights for every recruit.

"what you don't understand is so many recruits today get caught up with bad people like <dc assault guy> and we don't want those types of kids at wake forest."

"mr wellman, that has nothing to do with bzz' recruiting at all."

"you've obviously never built anything dan."

Related to the arrest of DC Assault coach and founder Curtis Malone and his previous icy relations with Gary Williams, MD under Mark Turgeon has cozied up to the DC Assualt program by hiring former DC Assault coach Dalonte Hill from Kansas State (Hill was the source of many of the very shady recruiting practices at K State). Hill is the highest paid MD assistant coach, and an associate of Malone.

Syria is also a wellman clusterfuck. And he has yet to create a free and legitimate Palestinian state. Loser.

Marquee Moon -"please tell me schwabber did not attend Wake"

He was heavily recruited, had Wake in his top five, but ended up going to Glassboro State.

I was in the nearly the same situation as Schwabber. After playing some pick-up at Rose Playground, Andre McCarter had convinced John Wooden that I needed to be his SG at UCLA.

It was tough but I decided to be a guaranteed walk on at Albright. Then I was playing at a friend's house and Jack McCloskey saw me play. He said if I came to Wake, played some intramurals as a frosh, he'd clear a space for me as a soph.

I understand where Schwabber is coming from. I could have played for the Wizard of Westwood and with Bill Walton, Jamaal Wilkes and Andre McCarter, but like he chose Glassboro State over Wake, I chose Wake intramurals over two national championships and all that pussy at UCLA.

Related to the arrest of DC Assault coach and founder Curtis Malone and his previous icy relations with Gary Williams, MD under Mark Turgeon has cozied up to the DC Assualt program by hiring former DC Assault coach Dalonte Hill from Kansas State (Hill was the source of many of the very shady recruiting practices at K State). Hill is the highest paid MD assistant coach, and an associate of Malone.

also related (literally) to Curtis Malone is former Dukie Nolan Smith (his stepson).

I guess you could read it that way, but I took it to mean that the more quality recruiting BZ does the harder it will be to fire him. Either way it is a stupid sentiment.
And I took it as that there were three categories:
1. He lands a traditional WF recruit (well ranked, good skill)
2. He lands one of "his guys" (low ranked, poorly evaluated, but yet raved about by WF AD staff)
3. He misses on a recruit

The poster just omitted the landing a traditional WF recruit because no one would feel that is bad.

Unrelated but the guy who runs DC Assault, big AAU team, has been charged with distributing heroin:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...-curtis-malone-charged-in-drug-investigation/

This is the type of guy that Gary Williams said he wouldn't play ball with, fwiw.

From a 2009 article:

"I have probably talked to Gary Williams two times in my life," Malone said. "Our relationship is fine. We just don't have one."

Malone said he has never told a recruit not to go to Maryland but said if he knew Williams a little better, "if a parent or family asked, I probably could say more or better things."

Regarding Malone, Williams said: "Don't tell me Curtis Malone has the right to say whether Gary Williams is a good recruiter or not. I don't want to hear about Curtis Malone. I know what he is," a reference to Malone's criminal record.

"If these are the things Gary is telling you about me, there is no telling what he is telling his assistants," Malone said. "I can bet you there are 50 other coaches who wouldn't say that about Curtis Malone. I'm going down to Duke; Coach K loves Curtis Malone. I went up to Villanova; me and [Coach] Jay Wright have a great relationship."

Are we in Haas's top five? saw something that said we weren't.

haas.JPG

Back