• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

We recruited Jordan Mathews in high school and he had a solid career at Cal. He's a west coast guy, but I wonder if we are interested:

No

ETA: I didn't intend for that to be snarky. You may be overestimating the quality of NCAA basketball, ACC basketball in particular. Like Wrangor said, athletic bigs are a hot commodity in most lower level leagues (and in general, if you think about it), but an average scholarship ACC player is going to have to work their ass off to play professional basketball anywhere, let alone in a decent league. Asia, South America, and North American minor leagues are a different story, but European basketball ain't no joke.

I find it hard to believe all Euro leagues are the same. Swedish league, a country where they don't even really play basketball, is not the same as Italy.

We recruited Jordan Mathews in high school and he had a solid career at Cal. He's a west coast guy, but I wonder if we are interested:

Gonzaga is supposed to be the team to beat for him.

Charles Buggs played at Hargrave with CMM and Andre is a late 2016 grad transfer. 6-9 220 F, played 24 MPG last year on a bad Minnesota team and averaged 6 ppg, 3 rpg and went 44/129 (34%) from three for his career. Not great but perhaps could be an option instead of no one.

I find it hard to believe all Euro leagues are the same. Swedish league, a country where they don't even really play basketball, is not the same as Italy.

I never claimed that all Euro leagues are the same. I also didn't claim that Italian leagues are the same as Swedish leagues, but you're right - they're not the same.

My point is that - depending on what you're trying to claim - Swedish leagues are probably more competitive than you would expect and a lot of ACC scholarship players are pretty terrible. A lot of high major college players can't carve out careers at even low levels in Europe. It's tougher than you'd think, which is why Weaver's career has been pretty impressive.

SI mentioned Gonzaga and Kentucky but not Wake. We aren't in it and he won't be a "miss".

Last edited:
An ACC player averaging more as a pro player than his career high in college is impressive regardless of the league.

An ACC player averaging more as a pro player than his career high in college is impressive regardless of the league.

I don't know. You get more minutes in the NBA. Jordan's career high at UNC-CH was 39 and he averaged 30.1 as a pro. There's got to be somebody else who averaged more as a pro.

I don't know. You get more minutes in the NBA. Jordan's career high at UNC-CH was 39 and he averaged 30.1 as a pro. There's got to be somebody else who averaged more as a pro.

I'm sure Willie Parker did, but wrong sport.
Marvin Williams maybe? Some of the one-and-done potential guys have probably done it, but I'm not looking it up. Kyrie probably.

Durant, Westbrook, Thompson just passed his college numbers.

The pro game is longer and shot clock is shorter. Not too surprising to me. I would bet many top guys beat their college numbers. Now for a guy who gets 4 points in college, that's quite surprising.

I never claimed that all Euro leagues are the same. I also didn't claim that Italian leagues are the same as Swedish leagues, but you're right - they're not the same.

My point is that - depending on what you're trying to claim - Swedish leagues are probably more competitive than you would expect and a lot of ACC scholarship players are pretty terrible. A lot of high major college players can't carve out careers at even low levels in Europe. It's tougher than you'd think, which is why Weaver's career has been pretty impressive.

I think you are way overestimating Swedish Basketball. A 10 minute search yielded a 37 year old center who played Division II basketball that was averaging 20 and 10 until three years ago (he's still in the league).

DreamWeaver is in Turkey now (a significantly better league), but even there he's not the only underperforming Power 5 big man doing well (Mikael Hopkins from Georgetown).

I know a 5'8 mediocre D2 point guard who had a couple years in Sweden. Not a big deal or that hard

Durant, Westbrook, Thompson just passed his college numbers.

Shockingly, you're not paying attention to the issue at hand.

Durant's career high in college was 37 points per game. His NBA career average is 27.4 points per game, which is not higher than 37.

I think you are way overestimating Swedish Basketball. A 10 minute search yielded a 37 year old center who played Division II basketball that was averaging 20 and 10 until three years ago (he's still in the league).

DreamWeaver is in Turkey now (a significantly better league), but even there he's not the only underperforming Power 5 big man doing well (Mikael Hopkins from Georgetown).

He's also in the equivalent of the Champion's league in Turkey. There is a division above his. Big E bounced back and forth between the 1st and 2nd division in Italy, so not surprising Weaver's ceiling seems to be 2nd level in good hoops countries (France, Italy, Turkey, Spain) and 1st division in the rest of Europe. I don't know enough to compare say Greece to Sweden or Germany to Belgium, but I am pretty sure the best league is Italy's, Turkey and Spain may be about the same, and France maybe a little below that. I think the next best league may be Israel's.

Shockingly, you're not paying attention to the issue at hand.

Durant's career high in college was 37 points per game. His NBA career average is 27.4 points per game, which is not higher than 37.

I misinterpreted your post, my bad.....

Durant scored 37 in one game not "per" game.

The pro game is longer and shot clock is shorter. Not too surprising to me. I would bet many top guys beat their college numbers. Now for a guy who gets 4 points in college, that's quite surprising.

I'm guessing the list of four year college players with a pro average higher than their college career high is short, especially in the NBA.

I would also guess that middle school players averages are higher than high school players. And high school players averages are higher that colleges.

I would also guess that middle school players averages are higher than high school players. And high school players averages are higher that colleges.

I'm talking about a individual's stats throughout his/her playing career as they make it to the next level.

Back