• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Woods better be good or we are doomed. RW has been terrible lately, airballing 3 pointers, missing free throws. Mitch has been pretty bad as well.

It will likely be Woods and Washington. My guess, at least.

It's going to take me awhile to see those names and automatically think guards.

Woods better be good or we are doomed. RW has been terrible lately, airballing 3 pointers, missing free throws. Mitch has been pretty bad as well.

Not what I wanted to hear. From whom does this information come?

Brick Oettinger at the ACC sports journal has Brandon Childress at #44 in his updated top 75.

Last edited:
“I’m really pleased with our defense,” said Bengals coach Freddy Johnson. “We held (Wake Forest signee) Brandon Childress without a field goal in the second half. He’s one of the best shooting guards in the state, so I was very happy with that effort.”

I sense Wilbekin 2.0, but I hope I'm wrong. Or I hope that Wilbekin improves significantly and becomes a valuable player on an NCAA tournament team for two years and then Childress takes his place for the next two.

If we're going to not suck next year, someone out of the Wilbekin/Childress/Mitchell/Washington/Watson crowd has to overachieve. Otherwise it's just going to be Crawford/Dinos/Collins combining for 50 points a night while we lose by 10 in every game because we can't put an ACC quality 2 or 3 on the floor.

If we're going to not suck next year, someone out of the Wilbekin/Childress/Mitchell/Washington/Watson crowd has to overachieve. Otherwise it's just going to be Crawford/Dinos/Collins combining for 50 points a night while we lose by 10 in every game because we can't put an ACC quality 2 or 3 on the floor.

What about Woods?

“I’m really pleased with our defense,” said Bengals coach Freddy Johnson. “We held (Wake Forest signee) Brandon Childress without a field goal in the second half. He’s one of the best shooting guards in the state, so I was very happy with that effort.”

I sense Wilbekin 2.0, but I hope I'm wrong. Or I hope that Wilbekin improves significantly and becomes a valuable player on an NCAA tournament team for two years and then Childress takes his place for the next two.

Nobody knows if Brandon Childress will be good at Wake but I do know he is much more versatile than Wilbekin. He is a true PG who distributes the ball, plays defense, and is a leader, none of those things can be said about Wilbekin, and I like the kid so it is no slam on him

Nobody knows if Brandon Childress will be good at Wake but I do know he is much more versatile than Wilbekin. He is a true PG who distributes the ball, plays defense, and is a leader, none of those things can be said about Wilbekin, and I like the kid so it is no slam on him

Certainly seems like Childress has similar shooting ability to Wilbekin, but can also drive and dish. I think this dual threat has sorely been missed with Wilbekin/CMM. For those who have seen him, do you think Childress will be able to play D on ACC guards? He is what, like 5'10-6'0, without elite speed, which means he may have Wilbekin-like defensive limitations.

Wilbekin's height hurts him guarding wings, but Childress wouldn't be asked to do that (I hope). Wilbekin looks reasonably quick, but seems to have no lateral quickness so anyone can blow by him at will. (Wilbekin, Hudson and Dinos might be the three worst on the ball defenders I can remember on the floor for us at the same time.) Hopefully Childress has the quickness to stay in front of his man.

Great thing about the boards is so many expert analysts on display. Having seen Brandon play several times I can assure you that he can score, he can drive, he can distribute. But, I will step aside and let your paranoia reign.

If we're going to not suck next year, someone out of the Wilbekin/Childress/Mitchell/Washington/Watson crowd has to overachieve. Otherwise it's just going to be Crawford/Dinos/Collins combining for 50 points a night while we lose by 10 in every game because we can't put an ACC quality 2 or 3 on the floor.[/QUOTE]

Just don't see any way around the fact that Hudson needs to be our starting 3 next year. He has for the most part sucked this year---but I think the potential is at least there and no other legitimate options exist. I would put him in the starting lineup now and make him continue to develop his midrange/slashing game and chemistry with Crawford. He needs to spend the entire off season lifting weights to gain bulk/strength and working on his dribble drive game--the fact that he is so old and still weak/skinny is concerning, but regardless of frame anybody can gain strength with dedication and effort.

People are overreacting to my post a bit I think.

I've seen Brandon play as well, in person. His ceiling is higher than Wilbekin - not arguing that. But it's hard for any mid-tier recruit to immediately be better than a college Junior, and he's absolutely going to struggle just due to his size. People are saying Wilbekin doesn't play defense, but he's one of the few guys we have who can stay in front of opposing guards - but he's too small to effectively challenge college jump shooters or guards with any inside game - and he's a couple inches taller than Brandon. Brandon's had a number of games in high school where he's held scoreless for long stretches, and it's not going to be easier to find shots in the ACC. He also comes in behind Crawford if he's going to play point, and as someone pointed out earlier I forgot to add Woods to the list of guards who we need to play well.

He's not replacing Crawford, and if you're expecting him to start at the 2 over Wilbekin/Woods - all I'm saying is from what I've seen and what most scouts think that might be an unfair expectation that has more to do with the name on his jersey than it does anything else. And with the way Manning seems to love switching on screens and playing like everyone is interchangeable on defense he'll need to get much stronger to be effective on defense.

That being said, Taron Downey didn't average even 5 points as a freshman - kids like this are absolutely critical to good programs, particularly programs like ours that can't replace impact guys with one-and-dones. I see Childress as a rock solid player, albeit with limitations, who will likely take a couple years to develop a starter-level game in college. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I have never seen him play myself, but I think we have to expect Woods to give Wilbekin a run for the starting position at the 2 if not take it outright. He's now been on a college roster for two full seasons, he's had a year to learn Manning's system and play with his teammates in practice, work in the weight room, and he has already shown some promise against Division 1 competition. We basically got a redshirt year for development out of a player that would never have redshirted if not for the transfer (someone more knowlegable than me once pointed out on this board that redshirts should virtually never occur in top-level college basketball outside of unusual circumstances like transfers or injuries).

Woods won't be our savior, but I don't think that there is any doubt that he will improve us at that position. Furthermore, Wilbekin probably won't make any great strides in his game, but he will be a year older, a year more mature, and hopefully a year smarter. That leaves Childress plenty of time to develop behind two older and more experienced shooting guards -- and, like DCDeac said, gives him a very good shot to start at that position several years down the road.

The biggest issue is the 3 to complement the Crawford/Woods. It should be Crab. But it isn't looking likely.

Back