• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Seriously? The 44th best player in country? Or the 44th best recruit to the ACC?

It is 44th in the country but 20th in the ACC. Brick is very ACC heavy in his rankings.

Last edited:
I believe wfu22fan said the same thing about our boy at BYU - will never get better, will always suck.

The general trajectory is that players biggest leap is from year 1 to year 2, but there are numerous cases where that is just not so. Our Eastern Euro PF that followed Songaila actually got worse in his last two years. Visser had a horrible junior year and a remarkable senior year. Yes, some of it is opportunity and someone will post how Visser backed up EWill, but Visser got quality minutes as a frosh and sort of sucked or underachieved until his senior year.

Player development is a bit of a crap shoot. The thing I like about Wilbekin is that he always under control. His pump fake, dribble, 3-point shot always looks very good, and he has started to drive to the basket in 2016 - now, to not very good effect, but it is a start. He also has a pretty good first dribble to split double teams. It shows me he works on a few things and perfects them before moving on to the next thing. I just think he is the type of player who will continue to develop, steadily if not dynamically and is absolutely a guy you want to see in a Wake uniform for two more years, especially his senior year. He also strikes me as a young looking sophomore. So, I am hopeful.

Player development wise the guy who has taken a step backward is absolutely Hudson. I find myself doubting he stays at Wake for two more full years and that he will actually become a decent overseas pro player when that becomes his singular pursuit.

If I am Manning/Childress, the guy I want to ensure develops is Crawford. He has a chance to be an NBA player if he has two big leap years. Obviously, Moore and Collins are most likely to have the biggest leap to next year, but also keep an eye on Dinos. I think he has had a funny year development wise, in that he absolutely has become a better inside player offensively and defensively he has gotten better but unclear whether he has too defensive weaknesses to fix or just hasn't quite embodied all the lessons. I think Manning has helped him develop into a better Euro pro player at the expense of productivity this year. I'd like to see him stay and put it all together next year as a good if not great inside/outside player.

I believe wfu22fan said the same thing about our boy at BYU - will never get better, will always suck.

The general trajectory is that players biggest leap is from year 1 to year 2, but there are numerous cases where that is just not so. Our Eastern Euro PF that followed Songaila actually got worse in his last two years. Visser had a horrible junior year and a remarkable senior year. Yes, some of it is opportunity and someone will post how Visser backed up EWill, but Visser got quality minutes as a frosh and sort of sucked or underachieved until his senior year.

Player development is a bit of a crap shoot. The thing I like about Wilbekin is that he always under control. His pump fake, dribble, 3-point shot always looks very good, and he has started to drive to the basket in 2016 - now, to not very good effect, but it is a start. He also has a pretty good first dribble to split double teams. It shows me he works on a few things and perfects them before moving on to the next thing. I just think he is the type of player who will continue to develop, steadily if not dynamically and is absolutely a guy you want to see in a Wake uniform for two more years, especially his senior year. He also strikes me as a young looking sophomore. So, I am hopeful.

Player development wise the guy who has taken a step backward is absolutely Hudson. I find myself doubting he stays at Wake for two more full years and that he will actually become a decent overseas pro player when that becomes his singular pursuit.

If I am Manning/Childress, the guy I want to ensure develops is Crawford. He has a chance to be an NBA player if he has two big leap years. Obviously, Moore and Collins are most likely to have the biggest leap to next year, but also keep an eye on Dinos. I think he has had a funny year development wise, in that he absolutely has become a better inside player offensively and defensively he has gotten better but unclear whether he has too defensive weaknesses to fix or just hasn't quite embodied all the lessons. I think Manning has helped him develop into a better Euro pro player at the expense of productivity this year. I'd like to see him stay and put it all together next year as a good if not great inside/outside player.

I want some of what you are smoking when you have been watching Wilbekin and Dinos this season.

I didn't realize 247 had Samuel as #88 and like 30 spots better than Froling.

Yep. I wan to say he was mid 50's on 247 before reclassifying to 2016.

I guess if you're a rising basketball recruit and you're wanted by the mafia, just reclassify and play a year in London. Nobody will hear a single thing about you for a year and you'll drop off almost every recruiting list. No idea what to expect from him. Donovan Mitchell as well - trailing the other Donovan Mitchell by a year is pretty great for recruiting. You go to his recruiting pages and there's nothing but Louisville tweets and obscure assessments that could be related to either of them.

Such a strange class.

Would love to see 247 bump him up a bit too.

Any thoughts on other 2016 Deacs who could climb the rankings any?

I would like to think Richard Washington could see a rise in his ranking because he deserves it with the numbers he puts up. I doubt that will happen however due to where he plays and who he plays against. I'm not sure if there are AAU teams these guys will play on before coming to Wake but that's the best way for him to rise. He played on a very talented AAU team over this past summer and did well.

Wake now has a 4* point guard, a 4* center, a sharpshooter from anywhere on the court, and a small forward, while likely a bit of a project, will be a great athletic player for us. This class is more exciting than some people are giving it credit for.

Do Washington's shooting percentages support calling him a sharpshooter?

I would like to think Richard Washington could see a rise in his ranking because he deserves it with the numbers he puts up. I doubt that will happen however due to where he plays and who he plays against. I'm not sure if there are AAU teams these guys will play on before coming to Wake but that's the best way for him to rise. He played on a very talented AAU team over this past summer and did well.

Wake now has a 4* point guard, a 4* center, a sharpshooter from anywhere on the court, and a small forward, while likely a bit of a project, will be a great athletic player for us. This class is more exciting than some people are giving it credit for.
After HS ball, the next time they play an organized game will be in college. Seniors graduate in May/June and then enroll during the summer session (normally). Or an underrecruited, uncommitted player might play in a non-AAU summer league.

Regardless, AAU is 17U, 16U, etc so most players will have naturally aged themselves out by the summer after their senior season (plus I think they have to be a current HS student as well).

Last edited:
Keep forgetting about KEYshawn Woods. Gives us a player at each position for 2016. It's been said around here than d wash could be more of a college 3 than a 2 like the recruiting sites have him.

image-16_zpsb36114b7.jpg

Keep forgetting about KEYshawn Woods. Gives us a player at each position for 2016. It's been said around here than d wash could be more of a college 3 than a 2 like the recruiting sites have him.

Well, with Crawford/Childress at point, Wilbekin/Woods at 2, Dinos/Collins at 4, and Moore/Samuel at 5 - just need one actual ACC player to emerge from Hudson/Watson/Washington/Mitchell/McClinton/VanHorn/Rike crowd that can play the 3.

We graduate nobody after that - if Manning year 4 isn't a great year he'll get a [Redacted]-like sendoff.

Do Washington's shooting percentages support calling him a sharpshooter?

I don't know where to find shooting percentages but I have seen tweets that say he has hit five or six threes in multiple games this season so that's where I'm getting "sharpshooting" from with Washington.

Well, with Crawford/Childress at point, Wilbekin/Woods at 2, Dinos/Collins at 4, and Moore/Samuel at 5 - just need one actual ACC player to emerge from Hudson/Watson/Washington/Mitchell/McClinton/VanHorn/Rike crowd that can play the 3.

We graduate nobody after that - if Manning year 4 isn't a great year he'll get a [Redacted]-like sendoff.

Yep this is pretty much the size of it.

Back