• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

my bad on the 5.

austin arians is shooting the best 3pt percentage of his career in the ACC after playing 3 years at the University of Wisconsin.-Milwaukee.

I brought up Williams a few times recently, but maybe not on this thread. Haven't seen him, but in an article when he was a verbal Manning specifically mentioned his defense.

We're not going to convince each other.

Could Williams have helped? Maybe. But I think we see what he wanted to do and that was not available for him at Wake. I think there at least a much of a chance that he wouldn't have shot as well in the ACC; wouldn't have been happy not playing as much; been abused on D.

We also don't know how he'd fit in.

There are too many variable and nothing that sets him apart.

It would have helped us a lot more if somehow they got the light to partially go on for McClinton. We didn't need any more scoring but did need a 6'5+ guys who was willing and able to play D.

I brought up Williams a few times recently, but maybe not on his thread. Haven't seen him, but in an article when he was a verbal Manning specifically mentioned his defense.

good call. http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_ba0f066f-fb42-57d3-a3ae-1c2e6e58c4b9.html

“He’s a good shooter,’’ Manning said of Williams. “I think he’s a really, really good defender — strong body, long arms. He has gone through some adversity in college, battling back from different injuries. His work ethic, his desire to get out there, how he carries himself, is something that I was extremely impressed with.

Haha, RJ is so full of shit. The mental gymnastics he'll go to to shield Manning about everything is embarrassing. In aggregate, Manning's doing a good job. There's no need to defend him about every little thing. Manning's really not even to blame for Williams deciding to stay. It was what it was. Having Williams instead of VanHorn on scholarship would've absolutely been a net positive.

Last edited:
Haha, RJ is so full of shit. The mental gymnastics he'll go to to shield Manning about everything is embarrassing. In aggregate, Manning's doing a good job. There's no need to defend him about every little thing. Having Williams instead of VanHorn on scholarship would've absolutely been a net positive.

You are an absolute idiot. This has ZERO to do with Manning. He did everything he could to get Williams to come here. He did a great job wooing him, but in the end Williams wanted to be the star. It wasn't about Danny. it was 100% about Williams desire to be the #1 option. That wasn't happening here.

Let me put this as bluntly as I can. THIS IS NOT ABOUT DANNY. IT'S WHAT WILLIAMS THOUGHT WAS BEST FOR HIM AND WAKE COULDN'T GIVE HIM THAT.

What part of this don't you understand?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-williams-4.html

Matt Williams D-rating this year is 94.8... that's really good. Also +1 box score +/- on D, another good number.

Weird, rj maybe watched them 2-3 times and says he's worse than Arians who is, bless him, one of the worst wing defenders in the league, behind maybe his teammate Wilbekin?

I don't take notes on games I watch and I watch hundreds of games.

The reality is Williams didn't want what Wake could offer him. You might have said how much better defensively we would have been with Josh Jackson or Dennis Smith, Jr.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-williams-4.html

Matt Williams D-rating this year is 94.8... that's really good. Also +1 box score +/- on D, another good number.

Weird, rj maybe watched them 2-3 times and says he's worse than Arians who is, bless him, one of the worst wing defenders in the league, behind maybe his teammate Wilbekin?
I mean, RJ has such a high opinion of Wilbekin, remember.

Wilbekin is really bad.
Wilbekin has two walks, two terrible shots, a horrible foul and has given up two layups.

WTF is doing out there?
The idea that Williams would've helped is nonsense, though !

So am I that you think people will shoot BETTER playing against future pros in the ACC than a bunch of modest players in the AAC.

I am also LMAO that you think a player who wanted to be the #1 option for his last year in college would be happy and content being the 4th or 5th option and play 40-50% fewer minutes. BUT being unhappy and wondering what could have been will NEVER impact a player's performance.

You are an absolute idiot. This has ZERO to do with Manning. He did everything he could to get Williams to come here. He did a great job wooing him, but in the end Williams wanted to be the star. It wasn't about Danny. it was 100% about Williams desire to be the #1 option. That wasn't happening here.

Let me put this as bluntly as I can. THIS IS NOT ABOUT DANNY. IT'S WHAT WILLIAMS THOUGHT WAS BEST FOR HIM AND WAKE COULDN'T GIVE HIM THAT.

What part of this don't you understand?
Lol, sorry, Rick. FYC and I can do reading comp. It's pretty obvious why you're taking the position you are. You won't admit it, but it's pretty obvious.

So am I that you think people will shoot BETTER playing against future pros in the ACC than a bunch of modest players in the AAC.

I am also LMAO that you think a player who wanted to be the #1 option for his last year in college would be happy and content being the 4th or 5th option and play 40-50% fewer minutes. BUT being unhappy and wondering what could have been will NEVER impact a player's performance.
Arians is shooting better this year than he ever did at UW-Milwaukee (which I'm just gonna assume is weaker competition). Keep doing you, though.

Last edited:
Manning doesn't strike me as a guy who will just toss out platitudes -- like, he doesn't mention Arians' d in that article. This whole episode I consider a positive for Manning when I think about him: knew the issues, recruited to it, knew the two frosh probs wouldn't be up for it, got his guys, and one of them just had a change of heart and stayed at his hometown school. Makes me a little more hopeful for next year since we are defs losing JC.

Last edited:
Weird, UCF has the 21st best defense in the country on KenPom and they have a wing playing 36MPG that's worse at D than Arians and Wilbekin.

Back