• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Better Martini: Gin or Vodka?

SteelCityDeac

Reaction score
Simple question of preference in the beloved drink H.L. Mencken once dubbed, "the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet."

Prediction: negrep will be handed out liberally in this thread.

But seriously gin is the only correct answer.

My favorite martini is actually made with both Gin and Vodka--the Vesper Martini (James Bond martini).

Shake (if you must) with plenty of cracked ice. [Mix] 3 oz Tanqueray gin, 1 oz 100-proof Stolichnaya vodka, 1/2 oz Lillet Blanc, 1/8 teaspoon (or less) quinine powder or, in desperation, 2 dashes of bitters. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and twist a large swatch of thin-cut lemon peel over the top.

the one that is actually goes in a martini.

Both are acceptable IMO. I enjoy both, but prefer vodka.

My pet peeve relates to the Cosmo, appletini, chocolate BS. Those drinks should not be called "martinis." I have always felt that those drinks were created so that pussies who are unable to handle a real martini could still drink out of the best piece of glassware ever created, the martini glass. Go back to your hollowed out coconuts and umbrellas.

There, I said it.

Let me say this, I love gin. I drank more gin in college than most will in a lifetime. I like it w tonics, w juice, w tea, on the rocks.... but for a martini I prefer a crisp vodka.

Both are acceptable IMO. I enjoy both, but prefer vodka.

My pet peeve relates to the Cosmo, appletini, chocolate BS. Those drinks should not be called "martinis." I have always felt that those drinks were created so that pussies who are unable to handle a real martini could still drink out of the best piece of glassware ever created, the martini glass. Go back to your hollowed out coconuts and umbrellas.

There, I said it.

I would have to agree with you, sir.

Let me say this, I love gin. I drank more gin in college than most will in a lifetime. I like it w tonics, w juice, w tea, on the rocks.... but for a martini I prefer a crisp vodka.

I too love gin. After bourbon it is my go to liquor. It's delicious and it a mans man booze. Leave the vodka to the ladies and their vodka crans. In fact I love it so much that ive never even tried a martini that wasn't with gin.

Buckets' dad has a rant against sex and the city because they pussified the martini glass.

I personally hate the glass because I inevitably spill.

Being a professional, I tend to switch liquors once every few years. I am heading out of a vodka stage now. I have not drank much gin over the past decade. Maybe I will head in that direction.

Gin martini is one of my go to drinks. I keep a bottle of Beefeater in the freezer and just a splash of olive juice in a martini glass and fill to the top with ice cold gin. Delicious. And they get the job done.

Barf to martinis overall.

Agree on the appletini rant though. Spot on.

Vodka for me, no vermouth, jalapeno stuffed olives (usually Shotgun Willies). Never took to gin.

Back