• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Better Martini: Gin or Vodka?

One of the bars near me has a jalapeno martini. It's delicious.

How is it that Gin can be "bruised" but vodka can't? Is bruising really possible and, if so, can anyone really tell the difference?

How is it that Gin can be "bruised" but vodka can't? Is bruising really possible and, if so, can anyone really tell the difference?

i am very skeptical of the concept of "bruising" spirits, as well.

I just googled it and found this:
Usually the term "bruised" is used when talking about gin in martinis, or that other clear spirit that shall remain unnamed. It is used as a way to describe reactions and changes that go on in mixing a cocktail by shaking with ice vs. stirring the ingredients with ice.

Shaking can make the spirit taste sharper, with more bite, by causing aldehydes in the spirits to combine with oxygen; this oxidizes them, changing their taste.

The dude who posted this claims that this oxidation of "aldehyde", whatever the almighty F*** that might be, makes the spirits "sharper".

I think it is bullshit, but as I plan to drink at least two Negronis tonight, I'll shake one and stir the other and report back.

i am very skeptical of the concept of "bruising" spirits, as well.

I just googled it and found this:
Usually the term "bruised" is used when talking about gin in martinis, or that other clear spirit that shall remain unnamed. It is used as a way to describe reactions and changes that go on in mixing a cocktail by shaking with ice vs. stirring the ingredients with ice.

Shaking can make the spirit taste sharper, with more bite, by causing aldehydes in the spirits to combine with oxygen; this oxidizes them, changing their taste.

The dude who posted this claims that this oxidation of "aldehyde", whatever the almighty F*** that might be, makes the spirits "sharper".

I think it is bullshit, but as I plan to drink at least two Negronis tonight, I'll shake one and stir the other and report back.

In the name of science, I salute you sir.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of gin, though I plan on giving it another try sometime soon. I do enjoy a very dirty vodka martini, though at that point I might just be better off eating some olives.

Bombay Sapphire is my all-time favorite gin, and I am clearly in the gin camp on the martini issue. Let me second the Hendricks and cucumber-delicious!

Shifting strategy here, may I recommend a gin bloody mary? Fabulous!!!!!!

I realize that gin is the more classic approach, but I go wodka. Really not super into straight gin, but I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Defs like gin when its a more complementary flavor in cocktails like a Pimm's Cup.

Was it Churchhill who liked a dry martini; glance at vermouth as the martini is shaken.

Was it Churchhill who liked a dry martini; glance at vermouth as the martini is shaken.

The best martini is a glass of gin while looking at a bottle of vermouth.

Back