• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Better Martini: Gin or Vodka?

...i've never had a martini
:couch:

but i love gin! my senior fifth was tanq. mmm.

Interesting thread. I'm going with Gin. Bombay Sapphire to be precise.

For a martini, shake some gin with ice and add a spray of vermouth then 1-2 olives. Juniper ftw. Vodka is great for flavorless alcohol, or something to add some flavor to.

-----

Worst martini I've had was at some Myrtle Beach place where I asked for a "very dry" gin martini. I got something that tasted like olive juice. I sent it back and got an apology from the bartender who thought the order was for a "very dirty" martini. Blech. I love olives and I love gin, but not a "dirty" martini". Got a free drink or two for the mistake. ;)

this thread inspired me. Had 4 vespers last night. regretted it a bit this AM but they were delicious.

Worst martini I've had was at some Myrtle Beach place where I asked for a "very dry" gin martini. I got something that tasted like olive juice. I sent it back and got an apology from the bartender who thought the order was for a "very dirty" martini. Blech. I love olives and I love gin, but not a "dirty" martini". Got a free drink or two for the mistake. ;)

Im pretty sure they don't get many martini orders in myrtle. Your class surely surprised the bartender

My dad was a bartender for a while in college, and told me a story about a customer who would order an extra dry vodka martini each time he would come to the bar. Instead of pouring the vermouth into the glass and swirling it out, my dad would pour it into a shot glass, take the shot, and then blow into the glass right before he poured the martini. He also did a lot of drugs and was paid with beer, so I am not sure how true the story is, but I always enjoyed it.

Straight up martini - gin. Dirty Martini - a good potato vodka.

Back