• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Donors and [Redacted]'s 4th Year...

coredeac

Reaction score
Spoke at length with a really big giver the other day. Btw, I'm defining big donor as contributing north of $100,000/year. This person indicated that there are some serious concerns amongst the
whales. However, he also indicated that the athletic department has been preaching to them that Valvano, Dean Smith and Coach K also had great difficulty their first 3-4 years in building their
respective programs. Apparently, they went as far to give specific examples of just how badly Dean and Valvano were treated their first 2-3 years by fans and alums and Buzzy Boy has also had his
feelings hurt.

Thus, Buzz should be given the same length of time as Smith, Valvano and Coach K.

I countered with a number of facts to dispute this approach. However, it is obvious that many of the old guard just bought it completely and we're onto our glorious 4th year of Buzz!

Just curious as to the board's thoughts on this latest act of desperation. Also, anyone else heard the similar theory from any other big givers?

Well if Wellman says it's true, then it's true....right?

For every Coach K, there are 100 shitty coaches that were deservedly fired "early." [Redacted] is one of the shitty ones.

How does someone get to the point of having the ability to give $100,000.00 per year AND still be dumb enough to fall for the comparison between Dean and K in their early 30's with a clean slate and a coach with a proven track record of futility? Those two things strike me as incompatible.

It is amazing that people with so much money can be so stupid.

(ETA: jhmd beat me to it)

How does someone get to the point of having the ability to give $100,000.00 per year AND still be dumb enough to fall for the comparison between Dean and K in their early 30's with a clean slate and a coach with a proven track record of futility? Those two things strike me as incompatible.

I would be willing to bet you can nearly predict the Wellman support by big donors based on whether it's 2nd+ generation money or money they made themselves. The self-made big donors I've spoken to are upset and are cutting their funding.

Given what transpired, a 4th year for Bz was almost mandated, but the above analogy to K, Valvano, and Dean Smith is really lame. They were given lots of time when around ~30, not ~60.

From the sounds of it, the big donors didn't necessarily buy into it, they tolerated it for now. i doubt they tolerate it much longer.

I can't imagine being in my 60s or 70s and willing to wait for a 4th year to get out of the cellar. These people must not fear death.

It is amazing that people with so much money can be so stupid.

(ETA: jhmd beat me to it)

Inheritance breeds laziness and stupidity

old people

This. My father in law is a big donor to another school and he is absolutely blind to anything that contradicts his preconceived notion of the program. He can look at an athlete covered with "art" and say with a straight face, "our athletes don't have tattoos". I can't explain it, but I also can't argue with it, because "he is always right".

Facepalm

brick-wall.jpg

lol. So now we're aspiring to do it right Valvano style? Valvano had a winning record in each of his first 3 seasons. And while I think he is vastly overrated as a coach due to his early death and all the emotions that come with that, Buzz is no Valvano.

Dean Smith at least had a winning season in his first 3 seasons, and sniffed winning seasons in the other two.

Coach K had a winning record right out of the gate before having 2 losing seasons.

What is most hysterical about all this is they would actually think that Buzz warrants comparisons to a couple of HOF coaches who were employed for 33 (and counting) and 36 years, respectively. If we extrapolate just 33 years (ugh) of coaching tenure to Buzz at Wake Forest, he will be 91 years old when he retires. Yeah, that seems likely.

Buzz isn't some young coach with untapped potential who deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's an old coaching veteran whose teams have fucking sucked. End of story.

I'm not as far Buzz out as most everyone here but I do wish we had another man at the helm. Having said that, I've heard from a number of sources that the man knows more basketball than anyone they've encountered in the coaching world. This is from other coaches at Wake, coaches and players from other teams, as well as big and small donors from Wake. While I struggle like the rest of you to buy it all, it does explain why a lot of the big Donors are patient and seeking understanding of what it takes to build a team. I imagine most of them have heard the same thing.

Valvano won the fucking national championship in his third season at NC State. Granted, he couldn't have done it without Norm Sloan's players.

Coach K was in the NCAA Finals in his sixth year (runner-up), meaning he already had the necessary players to make that run in his fourth year. Bzz does not have those players.

Dean Smith made the Final Four in years six, seven (runner-up) and eight of his tenure. Again, he already had the players by year four.

I'm not as far Buzz out as most everyone here but I do wish we had another man at the helm. Having said that, I've heard from a number of sources that the man knows more basketball than anyone they've encountered in the coaching world. This is from other coaches at Wake, coaches and players from other teams, as well as big and small donors from Wake. While I struggle like the rest of you to buy it all, it does explain why a lot of the big Donors are patient and seeking understanding of what it takes to build a team. I imagine most of them have heard the same thing.

There are a lot of people who know a lot about basketball. Knowing and coaching are two different things.

I'm sure there is some weenie at the State Department who knows more about Iran than just about anybody in the US. Doesn't mean I want him to be drawing up war plans if it comes to that.

this, it's such a ludicrous comparison it's not funny

There is a big difference between knowing basketball and being able to communicate that knowledge, to teach others, to lead others, and inspire others. [Redacted] may or may not know basketball but his tenure at Wake Forest and his resume are proof that he is an abject failure in each of the other areas. [Redacted] is a known commodity and we all know what that commodity is...the same commodity that Ron Wellman is full of....

Back