• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Donors and [Redacted]'s 4th Year...

There are a lot of people who know a lot about basketball. Knowing and coaching are two different things.

This. He may understand the game, but he's lousy at teaching it and motivating his players and is not a good recruiter. And while we keep hearing how smart he is, he apparently is not smart enough to realize how important defense is to the game. His FG%D teams have been last in conference 5 times and 2nd to last in conference 1 time in his 6 years at Wake and Colorado.

Buzz hasn't had a winning season in 6 years. Ron's really still going with the Coach K comparisons? Jesus Christ.

#ScorchedEarth

There is a big difference between knowing basketball and being able to communicate that knowledge, to teach others, to lead others, and inspire others. [Redacted] may or may not know basketball but his tenure at Wake Forest and his resume are proof that he is an abject failure in each of the other areas. [Redacted] is a known commodity and we all know what that commodity is...the same commodity that Ron Wellman is full of....

There are a lot of players who know a hell of a lot about basketball...and none of them would make good coaches. Buzz sucks as a coach. His basketball knowledge is meaningless given that his suckitude at coaching is proven.

lol. So now we're aspiring to do it right Valvano style? Valvano had a winning record in each of his first 3 seasons. And while I think he is vastly overrated as a coach due to his early death and all the emotions that come with that, Buzz is no Valvano.

Dean Smith at least had a winning season in his first 3 seasons, and sniffed winning seasons in the other two.

Coach K had a winning record right out of the gate before having 2 losing seasons.

What is most hysterical about all this is they would actually think that Buzz warrants comparisons to a couple of HOF coaches who were employed for 33 (and counting) and 36 years, respectively. If we extrapolate just 33 years (ugh) of coaching tenure to Buzz at Wake Forest, he will be 91 years old when he retires. Yeah, that seems likely.

Buzz isn't some young coach with untapped potential who deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's an old coaching veteran whose teams have fucking sucked. End of story.

Good post. And the statement in bold drives home the salient point...

And while we keep hearing how smart he is, he apparently is not smart enough to realize how important defense is to the game.

Or rebounding... Or inbounds plays... Or clock management... Or time out management... Or big men...

So, basically, Buzz knows more about the game of basketball than anyone as long as you're talking about offense and wing players. Wait, our offense has mostly sucked too...

Or rebounding... Or inbounds plays... Or clock management... Or time out management... Or big men...

So, basically, Buzz knows more about the game of basketball than anyone as long as you're talking about offense and wing players. Wait, our offense has mostly sucked too...
But Buzz and Wellman are the two smartest guys in the room. Don't you know this by now? Everything's gonna be okay!

Buzz would be a great coach based on his basketball knowledge, but his Aspergers is holding him back.

If I only I could buy that..

He has proven himself to be a terrible game coach (even rj agrees). He is a fucking loser and a dickhead to go along with it. No sympathy from me.

K was a protege of Bobby Knight. He had Gene Banks his first year. What kind of winning pedigree does Bzz have? He leaves Colorado and they go to the Dance. Is it because he left? We're stuck with him because he's Wellman's friend. There IS no other reason.

All I can say is I can't wait until next March when we can all say, "I told you so, Ron." It's gonna be wonderful.

I would be willing to bet you can nearly predict the Wellman support by big donors based on whether it's 2nd+ generation money or money they made themselves. The self-made big donors I've spoken to are upset and are cutting their funding.

Good post...those who know the value of attaining wealth are most likely not going to piss it away. Especially so on this POS & Wellman...Apathy has taken hold and it will be good to see them squirm next season...

man this has me really jazzed up for basketball season! I can't wait until gamedays, where I will be doing something else that is worthy of my attention.

The good and bad news of that statement is Buzz's feelings are hurt. The #buzzout movement may yet cause him to resign, but in the meantime, his connection to the fanbase is going into the toliet.

There are a lot of people who know a lot about basketball. Knowing and coaching are two different things.

I'm sure there is some weenie at the State Department who knows more about Iran than just about anybody in the US. Doesn't mean I want him to be drawing up war plans if it comes to that.

Actually..you might want him drawing up war plans, but you don't want him leading the troops.

I'm not as far Buzz out as most everyone here but I do wish we had another man at the helm. Having said that, I've heard from a number of sources that the man knows more basketball than anyone they've encountered in the coaching world. This is from other coaches at Wake, coaches and players from other teams, as well as big and small donors from Wake. While I struggle like the rest of you to buy it all, it does explain why a lot of the big Donors are patient and seeking understanding of what it takes to build a team. I imagine most of them have heard the same thing.

Not to beat a dead horse, but... With the game tied with 5 minutes to play, Prosser won almost every game. With the game tied with five minutes to play, [Redacted] has lost almost every game. I won't argue that [Redacted] knows more about basketball than Prosser(even Prosser admitted he wasn't a great x and o's coach), but using that knowledge to communicate and motivate your players is the quintessential to coaching. Prosser had the ability "to coach" based on his lengthy track record. [Redacted] has shown from his track record that he does not have the ability "to coach," although [Redacted] might be the more knowledgeable coach.

How does someone get to the point of having the ability to give $100,000.00 per year AND still be dumb enough to fall for the comparison between Dean and K in their early 30's with a clean slate and a coach with a proven track record of futility? Those two things strike me as incompatible.

This this this.

Back