• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Knight: the NBA has "raped" college basketball

There's a huge difference. They don't go directly to the majors out of HS. Plus they have to stay in college or JC for much longer if they start.

I'm aware of that RJ, but salty ol' racist Bobby's quote was being dishonest about that. I would love to see a MLB type deal with the NBA. Players like Lebron (extreme example) have no reason to be forced to go to college if they don't want that.

I'm aware of that RJ, but salty ol' racist Bobby's quote was being dishonest about that. I would love to see a MLB type deal with the NBA. Players like Lebron (extreme example) have no reason to be forced to go to college if they don't want that.

I think this rule wouldn't do what people expect it to do. More 5 stars, when faced with the proposition of 3 years in college, would try to jump early or go to the NBDL or go to Europe.

"Major League Baseball has the best idea of all. Three years before they'll take a kid out of college, then they have a minor league system that they put the kids in. I'm sure that if the NBA followed the same thing, there would be a lot of kids in a minor league system that still were not good enough to play in the major NBA." Salty 'ol racist Bobby.

I think this rule wouldn't do what people expect it to do. More 5 stars, when faced with the proposition of 3 years in college, would try to jump early or go to the NBDL or go to Europe.

That wouldn't bother me that much.

Take this year for example. No way we see Wiggins, Parker, Randle, or Gordon set foot in a college arena with the MLB rule. They would all be top 15 picks out of HS. Wiggins would have went #1 for sure, which is now up for debate.

I basically agree, but the problem is 90+% aren't close to being ready. Every company has the right to set minimum standards for employment. The NBA considers college as an apprenticeship.

Maybe the NBA should do like they do in Europe and have age maxed club teams for kids coming out of HS. If they choose this, the salaries should be really low for the first two years.

CBB would still be better off, IMO. With the current system, there is no reason for the top coaches to spend time developing their players when the could be out recruiting their replacements. Roster stability is what CBB needs, but it should come at the expense of the careers of players could enough to play with the best.

I basically agree, but the problem is 90+% aren't close to being ready. Every company has the right to set minimum standards for employment. The NBA considers college as an apprenticeship.

Maybe the NBA should do like they do in Europe and have age maxed club teams for kids coming out of HS. If they choose this, the salaries should be really low for the first two years.

The NBDL should just operate more like a minor league system.

I heard a discussion on 99.9 that was basically very anti-MLB system, saying it wouldn't be fair to restrict a couple of really good players from making money in the NBA. But these players could just as easily go to Europe if they want to make money, yes? Not as much as the NBA, but if good it would still be a lot. Josh Powell did that when he left NCSU....and got a couple of rings with the Lakers.

CBB would still be better off, IMO. With the current system, there is no reason for the top coaches to spend time developing their players when the could be out recruiting their replacements. Roster stability is what CBB needs, but it should come at the expense of the careers of players could enough to play with the best.

Me and you already like the NBA more than CBB because of the talent gap. Just imagine what CBB will look like without all the 5 stars and we've just got well coached gym rats.

Me and you already like the NBA more than CBB because of the talent gap. Just imagine what CBB will look like without all the 5 stars and we've just got well coached gym rats.

CBB fans don't notice the talent deficit now, why would they notice in the future. College fans are much more impressed with parity than talent. As long as the playing field remained "level", I don't think there would be much concern.

The NBDL should just operate more like a minor league system.

Well it would need multiple levels. As constructed you'll have 25-30 yos punking 18 yos. It's not the same as the minors in baseball. It's very rare for an 18 yo to jump in at AAA.

Great point. I think you'd get a lot of guys going straight out of high school and being drafted in the second round or going undrafted.

Another way to set this up is if you come out of HS, your first contract is for 8 years. If you stay one year, it's six years. If you stay two years -five and three or more four.

Back