• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Knight: the NBA has "raped" college basketball

Another way to set this up is if you come out of HS, your first contract is for 8 years. If you stay one year, it's six years. If you stay two years -five and three or more four.

This could never be collectively bargained because both sides would be against it.

Great point. I think you'd get a lot of guys going straight out of high school and being drafted in the second round or going undrafted.

Exactly. If these Buttheads are going to be failures in the NBA anyway, why do we need them hanging out on campus for a year. Why delay their ability to chase their "dream?"

Exactly. If these Buttheads are going to be failures in the NBA anyway, why do we need them hanging out on campus for a year. Why delay their ability to chase their "dream?"

Did CBB suffer because it was deprived of KWAME BROWN?!?!?

?? Most good college players are NBA failures. Randolph Childress was an NBA failure.

The argument though isn't to keep these players out of CBB. People who argue for the MLB rule are saying the 5 stars aren't ready for the NBA and the NBA is stealing all the talent. The MLB rule would actually just hasten both of those problems.

However it shakes out (most likely a 2-and-done deal), Silver seems pretty committed to making a change.

What about a deal where prior to the draft the GMs rank HS players that float their name. If they receive a score of X, they are eligible, otherwise it's 2 years. Something to allow the LeBron, Durant type players to come out but we don't get stuck with a bunch of donks that just didn't want to go to college.

?? Most good college players are NBA failures. Randolph Childress was an NBA failure.

We're bringing kids to college who don't give a shit about college, can't do the work in the first place, and are planning to leave in a year. Why the hell would Randolph Childress have gone pro after graduating from high school? What point are you even making? He chose to stay in school for four years.

What about a deal where prior to the draft the GMs rank HS players that float their name. If they receive a score of X, they are eligible, otherwise it's 2 years. Something to allow the LeBron, Durant type players to come out but we don't get stuck with a bunch of donks that just didn't want to go to college.

I don't think that would work.

That's what would have to happen. Just HS players who can get drafted out of HS and still go to college.

Howsabout this: each team can only draft one player under the age of 21 every three years. Which would mean on average only about 10 guys per year. Similar to a trade exception, the right to draft a young player can be traded or bought/sold independently of a draft pick itself. So if the #1 team in the draft really wants Andrew Wiggins but they picked a young guy last year, they can buy the draft pick exception off of another team.

Did CBB suffer because it was deprived of KWAME BROWN?!?!?

You realize that Kwame played 14 years in the NBA, right? I mean, he was never a superstar, but the dude stuck around. No reason to think that he couldn't have been a heck of a college basketball player with the right coaching.

Howsabout this: each team can only draft one player under the age of 21 every three years. Which would mean on average only about 10 guys per year. Similar to a trade exception, the right to draft a young player can be traded or bought/sold independently of a draft pick itself. So if the #1 team in the draft really wants Andrew Wiggins but they picked a young guy last year, they can buy the draft pick exception off of another team.

Can't imagine ownership would ever agree to this. The NBA holds all the cards. If any change is made, it will be in their interest.

I get how some of these proposed rules could help with some of these perceived problems, but a lot of these suggestions are something both sides would fight against. GMs don't want to be hamstrung like that (they can barely function as is without another huge wrench in the works), and the players would never go for it.

CBB fans don't notice the talent deficit now, why would they notice in the future. College fans are much more impressed with parity than talent. As long as the playing field remained "level", I don't think there would be much concern.

Don't agree with this. Perhaps I wasn't a typical CBB fan, but I see no resemblance to the game I watched for 15-20 years (including my time in college during Chill & Timmy's time) growing up to what I see now by and large. Less emphasis on ball movement, mid-range jumpers, poor FT shooting by a lot of better players (not just one-off situations like us with Scooter Banks), on and on. Perhaps it was more of a finesse game with better spacing and I miss that. But I'm an old fart now and I don't really care that much. I just want to see Wake be competitive again with or without the Chris Paul effect. More consistent recruiting would be nice certainly.

Can't imagine ownership would ever agree to this. The NBA holds all the cards. If any change is made, it will be in their interest.
I think that's generally in their interest. I think what the NBA would like to accomplish is 1) allow the sure-fire studs into the NBA and 2) keep the marginal prospects in college so they don't have to pay them salaries while they're too young to contribute to the league. My rule would basically put a cap on the number of young guys selected, which hopefully would mean only the studs go to the NBA. The idea, I think, is to limit the late first round/2nd round fliers taken on a young unproven guys. Another similar idea would be you can only take a guy under 21 if you use a lottery pick.

I think that's generally in their interest. I think what the NBA would like to accomplish is 1) allow the sure-fire studs into the NBA and 2) keep the marginal prospects in college so they don't have to pay them salaries while they're too young to contribute to the league. My rule would basically put a cap on the number of young guys selected, which hopefully would mean only the studs go to the NBA. The idea, I think, is to limit the late first round/2nd round fliers taken on a young unproven guys. Another similar idea would be you can only take a guy under 21 if you use a lottery pick.

You are assigning a unanimity to NBA ownership that doesn't really exist in a competitive league. Assume that James and Durant came out in back to back years, why would a GM want to limit their ability to get both. That's obviously an extreme example, but OKC was lucky as hell with back to back trips to the lottery for Durant and Westbrook. GMs want to keep their options open.

This could never be collectively bargained because both sides would be against it.

The owners would love it. They get to keep a player longer for cheaper.

The numbers could be negotiated, but the structure makes sense for both sides.

You are assigning a unanimity to NBA ownership that doesn't really exist in a competitive league. Assume that James and Durant came out in back to back years, why would a GM want to limit their ability to get both. That's obviously an extreme example, but OKC was lucky as hell with back to back trips to the lottery for Durant and Westbrook. GMs want to keep their options open.
Not that it really matters, but my proposal would still allow them to pick Durant and LeBron in back to back years. They'd just need to aquire an exception from another team. Of course, that would create all kinds of potential for collusion (the team drafting #2 would try like hell to keep the #1 team from aquiring an exception).

Adam Silver, who works for the owners, is the one proposing that future LeBrons and Durants play two years in college. To me that's much more limiting than saying you can pick Lebron or Durant out of high school, but only if you use a lottery pick. So apparently there's a desire on the part of the owners to place limitations upon themselves.

The owners would love it. They get to keep a player longer for cheaper.

The numbers could be negotiated, but the structure makes sense for both sides.

The players DEFINITELY don't want to be on a rookie contract for 8 freaking years. And the GMs don't want to be on the hook for a relatively unknown player for 8 freaking years in most cases.

Back