• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Knight: the NBA has "raped" college basketball

NBA just needs a better minor league system. D-League is improving and could probably have a one-to-one minor-to-major league relationship with each NBA squad in the future. Set up a better farm system and some of the concerns are alleviated.

The MLB 3 year rule would make college basketball like college baseball. Nobody wants that.

Either go straight of HS or you wait two years to leave. Would weed out the kids that have zero desire to play college ball, and allow kids to have a full year of off-season improvement.

Bingo. Bango. You're welcome everybody.

Last edited:
The players DEFINITELY don't want to be on a rookie contract for 8 freaking years. And the GMs don't want to be on the hook for a relatively unknown player for 8 freaking years in most cases.
I don't like the 8 year proposal. But remember that the players union is made up of current players. Future players don't get a seat at the negotiating table. That's why in every league the collective bargaining agreements limit the earnings of future players the most.

I don't like the 8 year proposal. But remember that the players union is made up of current players. Future players don't get a seat at the negotiating table. That's why in every league the collective bargaining agreements limit the earnings of future players the most.

That is true, but the players union did fight back at first when the 2 year rule was introduced during 2010 negotiations. The NBA can probably get it if it fights hard, but an 8 year rookie contract would be a non-starter. They do still operate on principle as well.

Either go straight of HS or you wait two years to leave. Would weed out the kids that have zero desire to play college ball, and allow kids to have a full year of off-season improvement.

Bingo. Bango. You're welcome everybody.

I like it.

That NC State vs. St. Louis game set college basketball back about 25 years with the level of garbage play. Not only the missed FT, but that dude Jordair Jett drove into the lane at will in the second half - from the top of the key and they did the same play repeatedly - and 0 charges or blocks were drawn on him. As in nobody could figure out they needed to help and try to draw a charge as he went into the lane over and over...pretty piss poor quality.

This year Gonzaga vs. Gonzaga 10-12 years ago - no contest.

That dude Wessel for the undefeated Wichita State Shockers...he is a freaking role player and he absolutely sucks.

Don't get me started on WF hoops. Think about just how embarrassingly badly we would lose to UMD with Bias, Gatlin, Derrick Lewis, Branch and those dudes...or Ga Tech with Price, Spider Salley, Hammonds, Dalrymple...ass whipping way worse that what we saw this year. You think we sucked this year, those scores would be closer to 82-52 every night.

Hell, Bryant freakin' Stith is way, way better than that Kansas dude Wiggins. What a wuss job by Wiggins the other day...pitiful.

Just to be clear here are the MLB rules - not applying to NBA

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

Hell, Bryant freakin' Stith is way, way better than that Kansas dude Wiggins. What a wuss job by Wiggins the other day...pitiful.

Don't follow closely enough to comment on Wiggins, but ya, Stith is certainly one of the most underrated great ACC players of the past. He always gets lost in the convo when discussing great players of the 80s and 90s.

The MLB 3 year rule would make college basketball like college baseball. Nobody wants that.

How is college baseball bad and how would the 3 year rule be bad for basketball?

College baseball is bad in that no one other than friends, family and baseball junkies watch until the CWS. I can't name 1 college baseball player other than Jameis Winston.
ETA: I don't necessarily agree with Ph's comment, but college baseball is pretty irrelevant at most schools.

Don't follow closely enough to comment on Wiggins, but ya, Stith is certainly one of the most underrated great ACC players of the past. He always gets lost in the convo when discussing great players of the 80s and 90s.

Does he still hold the scoring record for the Joel?

College baseball is bad in that no one other than friends, family and baseball junkies watch until the CWS. I can't name 1 college baseball player other than Jameis Winston.
ETA: I don't necessarily agree with Ph's comment, but college baseball is pretty irrelevant at most schools.

But it's not like College Baseball was ever at the CBB level.

This.

Does he still hold the scoring record for the Joel?

Good call. He might. I'd certainly have to look it up. Seems like Mike Dunleavy or someone in that vein may have usurped him as it seemed sleepy Dunleavy dropped 20-30 pts on us every dang time! Or maybe I'm just THAT scarred.

Good call. He might. I'd certainly have to look it up. Seems like Mike Dunleavy or someone in that vein may have usurped him as it seemed sleepy Dunleavy dropped 20-30 pts on us every dang time! Or maybe I'm just THAT scarred.

He's tied with Ron Hale (FSU 2000) and Justin Gray (vs. Wisconsin in 2005).

The argument though isn't to keep these players out of CBB. People who argue for the MLB rule are saying the 5 stars aren't ready for the NBA and the NBA is stealing all the talent. The MLB rule would actually just hasten both of those problems.

I dont think the MLB rule hastens those problems. I dont think the amount of kids that jump is as high as you would think. For example would we realistically have had more than 6-8 guys declare this year? And would college basketball really have suffered without them?

Back