• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams to Va Tech

i'm gonna die if Buzz was there for the taking and he went to VT b/c we weren't ready. nice hire, VT.

that has to be one of the most over-achieving hires of all time, holy shit.

Taking a step away from how this affects our coaching search for a second, wow, VT is gonna be a tough team to play in the coming years. Well done, Hokies.

how much cash did they throw at him? had to be like 2.5mil

He made 2.8M and was the 9th highest paid coach in the country while at Marquette. VT just gave him Texas with a dollar sign.

We're not gonna offer Shaka or Marshall enough to come here. We're so screwed.

Water under the bridge, I know, but this kind of hire also cements just what a missed opportunity the last 4 years were. It's not a cosmic guarantee that all of VT, BC, and GT will be meh programs for all eternity going forward. We were awful precisely when we should've been taking advantage of these programs' relative mehness. Buzz Williams at VT makes our next HC's job a lot harder than [Redacted]'s was.

Looks like someone knows what to do with the extra TV and bowl money, well played VT. I really wish we had the balls to throw around money like this, but alas we have LOWF and the culture enablers.

that has to be one of the most over-achieving hires of all time, holy shit.

No kidding. VT came correct. Now it's our turn.

The way I see it, Shaka and Gregg are the only two who one-up that hire.

I have a feeling we may not have to wait several weeks to find out who the next coach is. Buzz Williams should have been in the mix at Wake. This puts pressure on Wellman to speed-up his timeframe. If he doesn't move on Howland, he's taking a big gamble that he'll be able to land one of the folks in the tournament, and that's no sure thing by any means. I hope he's been reaching out to peeps through their representatives.

Just googled him...Buzz is only 41? Man, feels like he's been around forever...That would have been a great hire.

From an awful buzz to a great buzz...That would have been ironic.

Haha we're so fucked. We're gonna hire a loser like White or Turner who can't even make it out of their own shit conference.

All because Ron is too busy playing NCAA chairman.

THE EMPEROR FIDDLES AS ROME BURNS

The Big East is such a bag of dicks now, let's just steal Jay Wright (if Shaka says no)!

Maybe Howland is blowing smoke with Marquette? Putting pressure on Wellman by telling him he won't sit around patiently forever?

Unreal. Heard the rumblings, but refused to believe it.

Howland is going to go to Marquette and we aren't going to pay for Smart or Marshall.

As others have said... Not good for Wake.

Back