• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz Says He Will Continue to Improve the Program, Dan has Resurfaced!

I agree with Bilas on a lot of his points. The lunatic fringe and this whole debacle and fan reaction of some really has poisoned the water at wake. It could have been handled a lot better, especially considering the whole buzz out movement has produced zero results for 4 years. It's sad that we are now considered one of the worst fan bases in the country. It's obvious wellman is ignoring most everyone now, probably because he's written us ALL off as lunatic fringe. Which is really only a few.

Agree with the others that you're way off here. I don't recall being consistently lied to by Bob Staak or Gene Hooks during the Staak Era. Staak was a nice enough guy, but he caught some bad breaks and didn't recruit well enough to stick around in a very tough ACC. Didn't work out and he was replaced, without the necessity of billboards and the like, and the fan base wasn't divided.

Contrast that with all of the lies, insults and buck passing Chairman Ron, his dept and Buzzdick have fed us these last 4 years. Instead of saying we're not doing well enough, but the buck stops here and we vow to be better next year, Chairman Ron, his minions and Buzzdick rewrote a revisionist history on the firing of Dino, threw the fans, past players, current players and past coaches under the bus and constantly told us the shite sandwich we were being served was not a shite sandwich. We literally have been the laughingstock of college hoops the last 4 years - and this from a program that had been to the Dance 14 times in the previous 20 years. Those of us who are Wake hoops fans who have watched this travesty with open eyes have become quite bitter and angry. And some of us have resorted to putting up billboards and taking out advertisements, which I haven't done, but I have to admit I've enjoyed. And there are still some of you Wake fans remaining who have refused to open your eyes and who have continued to drink Chairman Ron's koolaid. You do not recognize that the emperor is not wearing clothes, nor are you particularly upset when you finally discover he has not clothes and that you've been lied to for years.

I would submit to you that, had it just been the case of a bad hire but without the corresponding deception, arrogance and finger pointing, and had Chairman Ron recognized his mistake 2 years ago and done the right thing then, there would have been no billboards and advertisements. I would further submit that Chairman Ron has brought this on himself with his and Buzzdick's behavior quotes over the last 4 years. This has been a case of where there is an action, there has been an equal and opposing reaction.

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

The entire situation is on Wellman and to a lesser degree the entire Athletic Department. You can't ignore a fanbase and just make shit up and expect people to accept it. The heavens yes, the campaign after games addressing the media, the interviews, the censoring of the call in show. People are upset, people want answers and it all fell on deaf ears. If you didn't want billboards, websites (completely full of facts and nothing else), and newspaper ads (full of facts) then address the fanbase don't ignore them.

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

Wow.

"we have peace in our time" Neville Chamberlain

Bilas actually said during the Pitt debacle that "[Redacted] did a GREAT job at Colorado." 'nuff said.

“My staff and I are continuing to work as hard as we can to continue to improve this program, which made great strides this past year,’’ [Redacted] said in a phone interview. “Nobody has told me otherwise. That’s the truth.

“Right now that’s what we’re doing, and I don’t know what else to say.’’

Spoken like a true dead man walking.

Bingo. The most reassuring thing is that he didn't say, I'll be back. Or I'm told they still want me. He gone, ya'll.

Bilas: I could understand it at some big football school. But this, to me, is beneath Wake and their people.

Nice backhanded face slap by a Dookie. The implication is Wake is not a big athletics school - in any sport - and therefore, should be happy with less than mediocre results. I seem to recall - even though there wasn't the internet at the time - Dookies weren't pleased with their coaching for a number of years:

Bucky Waters, who took over for Vic Bubas, was a top assistant coach. He lasted three years, but was a great recruiter. However, a lot of his recruits transferred (one guy went to Harvard indicating he did not like the quality of Duke academics! Got to love it.) It should be noted, many of the Duke transfers were top players / scorers on their new teams (unlike a lot of the Wake transfers). In his last season, the Duke fans would chant during the games "Bye, bye, Bucky. We're glad to see you go!"

I ask...what's the difference Jay?

For the record, Neil McGeachy (Waters' assistant) lasted a season. Bill Foster was next, lasted five, and then took the South Carolina job (replacing Frank McGuire).

I would also point out after going 3-11 and 4-10 in his second and third years in the ACC, Coach K wasn't receiving a whole lot of love from the Duke supporters.

Bilas has a very short term memory....

If in say, 10 years, K is retired and whoever is Duke's coach puts up the numbers Bz has at Wake, I can guarantee it would not be beneath Duke's fans to take out billboards and newspaper ads calling for his ouster.

Its called PRIDE

It's easy for a Dookie to sit there and say we should sit back and accept being a doormat.

But as others have said, I would wager that Dookies' reactions would be even worse than this if one of K's eventual successors runs that program into the ground.

The big problem, unfortunately, is that the national media see Wake Forest as a program that should not have any expectations. If K's successor does a shitty job, then by midway through Year 2 you'll have front-page stories on ESPN.com, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, etc. declaring the need for a change. It wouldn't even get to the point where fans would have to buy ads and billboards. Ditto for places like UCLA, UNC, Kansas, etc. But that crap happens here, and nobody besides Eamonn Brennan writes a word about it, so we're forced to become the "lunatic fringe."

It's easy for a Dookie to sit there and say we should sit back and accept being a doormat.

But as others have said, I would wager that Dookies' reactions would be even worse than this if one of K's eventual successors runs that program into the ground.

The big problem, unfortunately, is that the national media see Wake Forest as a program that should not have any expectations. If K's successor does a shitty job, then by midway through Year 2 you'll have front-page stories on ESPN.com, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, etc. declaring the need for a change. It wouldn't even get to the point where fans would have to buy ads and billboards. Ditto for places like UCLA, UNC, Kansas, etc. But that crap happens here, and nobody besides Eamonn Brennan writes a word about it, so we're forced to become the "lunatic fringe."

this:
What are you talking about, there has been tons of national press highlighting the particular level of insanity behind RW's decisions and there's reports that he'll be out the door within 24 months. If we can embarrass the guy for being an ass and get him out the door relatively soon, that's mission a'fuckin complished.

Truth is we have given enough time for things to be corrected, it is not, nor will it happen in a sustainable fashion. No reason for another year of this. Time to move on and start another rebuild, hopefully one with legs this time.

Deception. Spoiler alert! Folks dont always tell the truth.

Do not believe all that is reported to you through the press.

Tick tock.

Speaking of irreparable harm, I used to think Bilas was one of the good guys/announcers in CBB. I have lost all respect for this guy...he's just another cheap talking head. So glad Wake "got one of the good guys." Good for the rest of the ACC, maybe.

Deception. Spoiler alert! Folks dont always tell the truth.

Do not believe all that is reported to you through the press.

Tick tock.

Can you give us any idea how much longer we will have to endure this situation? When can we expect any movement?

I think Bzz is hanging around and playing RW's game rather than packing the Prius to maximize his buy out. In the end, I'm probably gonna feel sorry for this guy...except for all the millions he's pocketed while at Wake.

If in say, 10 years, K is retired and whoever is Duke's coach puts up the numbers Bz has at Wake, I can guarantee it would not be beneath Duke's fans to take out billboards and newspaper ads calling for his ouster.

Its called PRIDE

And then they can look like Buttheads too.

Back