• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz Says He Will Continue to Improve the Program, Dan has Resurfaced!

There was an organization that formed urging K's firing. That is the only real similarity. K had rougher times starting out than you might think, but K was young and had potential. Buzz is not young, and has yet to show potential.

It's not a comparison I would make personally, I was just piggybacking off oldmandeac's comments.

While Bz needs to go, Bilas is right that there is a "Wake way" of dealing with stuff like this. Wellman will not be accepting Bz resignation until he has his candidate lined up for the hire.

Remember that Dino wasn't let go until April 7 and Bz was hired April 14. There was a post somewhere on here hinting at some financial arrangement regarding Bz and the Colorado buy out. Maybe there are some financial terms in the contract that become much more favorable to Wake if Bz completes four years. That would be April 14/15. So maybe Wellman is too "busy" to have a review of Bz until then, and the proper reading of the quote is as shown above. He thinks he is making progress, and nobody has told him anything about the future. He has status quo. Finishing year four of a five year contract and planning for year five. What he should be doing.
While it is "standard practice" and not doing itmakes life awkward and difficult, there is no requirement that the coach be extended before the end of his contract.

Don't mistake intrigue for incompetence, unless it is the other way around.

While Bz needs to go, Bilas is right that there is a "Wake way" of dealing with stuff like this. Wellman will not be accepting Bz resignation until he has his candidate lined up for the hire.

Remember that Dino wasn't let go until April 7 and Bz was hired April 14. There was a post somewhere on here hinting at some financial arrangement regarding Bz and the Colorado buy out. Maybe there are some financial terms in the contract that become much more favorable to Wake if Bz completes four years. That would be April 14/15. So maybe Wellman is too "busy" to have a review of Bz until then, and the proper reading of the quote is as shown above. He thinks he is making progress, and nobody has told him anything about the future. He has status quo. Finishing year four of a five year contract and planning for year five. What he should be doing.
While it is "standard practice" and not doing itmakes life awkward and difficult, there is no requirement that the coach be extended before the end of his contract.

If we wait that long we're just as fucked as we were when we fired Dino.

do you think this is the date when the contract yr begins/ends, or is the end of a contract yr defined as the last game of the yr?

Bilas's freshmen and sophomore years, no? I mean, I agree with your sentiment, and Bz is obviously no K, but he's suggesting more patience with a coach he seems to genuinely believe can cut it. He just happens to be wrong.

Bilas' teams (he was part of a 6 man class) only sucked his freshman year...but Duke did lose to Wagner. Plenty of people calling for K's head that year.

Being an apologist for Wellman, and a poor one at that, is not very becoming.

So what are the going rates for Two Men and a Truck these days? I figure have them show up and tell Lynne Heflin that they received a call to box up Bz's office and deliver the items to his home.

If that were the case we would still send him on his way and just not make the paperwork final until 4/14. I've seen situations where a company paid an employee to NOT be in the office for their final weeks.

lol, please no "the Wake Forest way" stuff

"YOU GOTTA LIVE IT AND BREATHE IT TO UNDERSTAND IT, MAN"

"Beneath us." Wow...

I can't wait till Coach K retires and the next coach screws everything up to see what Bilas's and every Duke fans' reaction will be. I guarantee it will be anything but civil.

Is it surprising that the public figures from Duke think [Redacted] is the right guy for the job? You knew it was bad when K issued a quote praising [Redacted] from the get go. The crap that has gone here for the past 3-4 years and would not be tolerated at UNC or Duke and yet we're supposed to settle for it. Heck, it wasn't tolerated at Virginia Tech!

Bilas, whom I used to respect, leaves out key points. Those who solely focus on the wins-losses (which are bad as is) miss all of the other deficiencies with Bz - the lack of communication skills, persona, marketability, recruiting prowess, low morale, lost revenue, etc. Bilas and some of these other "pundits" act like this is a rash response. Jeff [Redacted] has been given 4 years to prove something and he's proven nothing. He's been given twice as much time as the most recent basketball coach at Virginia Tech has gotten.

Last edited:
Is it surprising that the public figures from Duke think [Redacted] is the right guy for the job? You knew it was bad when K issued a quote praising [Redacted] from the get guy. The crap that has gone here for the past 3-4 years would not be tolerated at UNC or Duke and yet we're supposed to settle for it. Heck, it wasn't tolerated at Virginia Tech!

Bilas, whom I used to respect, leaves out key points. Those who solely focus on the wins-losses (which are bad as is) miss all of the other deficiencies with Bz - the lack of communication skills, persona, marketability, recruiting prowess, etc. Bilas and some of these other "pundits" act like this is a rash response. Jeff [Redacted] has been given 4 years to prove something and he's proven nothing. He's been given twice as much time as the most recent basketball coach at Virginia Tech has gotten.

From day one they've tried to sell everyone on Buzz. The fact that from the outset they had to sell it was an issue. No one got on board, and we remain not on board.

I went looking to see if Bilas was in the "what is Wake doing?" crowd at the hire, came up empty on that count, but found this irritating line:

"Someone said to me the other day, 'This seems to be your mission in life, Jeff,'" [Redacted] said. "I inherit jobs no one else wants and then just when things get going, like a fool, I leave before it all starts to happen. It's like building the house and never getting to live in it.''

BE A FOOL, JEFF! BE A FOOL!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=5512936

the "wake forest way" fucking sucks and is for losers, 100%.

next person who says we need to do something the "LOWF way" is getting neg repped

I agree with Bilas on a lot of his points. The lunatic fringe and this whole debacle and fan reaction of some really has poisoned the water at wake. It could have been handled a lot better, especially considering the whole buzz out movement has produced zero results for 4 years. It's sad that we are now considered one of the worst fan bases in the country. It's obvious wellman is ignoring most everyone now, probably because he's written us ALL off as lunatic fringe. Which is really only a few.

gfFtNMbj_k4iD8YHi-rQKgj3tGYhpwRqiIASowg24NvY6NpUREBazLPL7XPJnMvfGDY=h900

Okay, so let's say Coach K retires and Duke hires a coach that has as bad a 4 year stretch as [Redacted] has had, is there any doubt Bilas's beloved Duke fanbase would not be reacting as bad or worse then we have?

the "wake forest way" fucking sucks and is for losers, 100%.

next person who says we need to do something the "LOWF way" is getting neg repped

we haven't been to a final four since the 60's.

if we keep doing things the way we've always done them, we'll never get anywhere. Time for a big change. Time to do things differently. Time for a hero.

I agree with Bilas on a lot of his points. The lunatic fringe and this whole debacle and fan reaction of some really has poisoned the water at wake. It could have been handled a lot better, especially considering the whole buzz out movement has produced zero results for 4 years. It's sad that we are now considered one of the worst fan bases in the country. It's obvious wellman is ignoring most everyone now, probably because he's written us ALL off as lunatic fringe. Which is really only a few.

Much like [Redacted].

Back