• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Lots of younger people when I was there knew it as Manchester Plaza. Everyone in my program & most of the undergrads that I worked with during orientation.

Students really use the official names? Shame on anyone who doesn't call them the Quad and the Mag Quad.

Students really use the official names? Shame on anyone who doesn't call them the Quad and the Mag Quad.

Did the Mag quad have an official name until recently? I thought that even the university referred to it as Mag Quad until a few years ago.

I used to rag on old alums who would say the campus looks nothing like it did when they were there, and I'm saying the same damn thing. I've only been gone for 10 years, but man so much has changed in such a short time.

Is this to allow for an increase in the number of students admitted?

Where exactly are people going to park their cars when the new campus has all the additions and tons of green space? I hope they've got some underground garages planned.. but the master plan doesn't really address this. The phrase "structured parking" is really vague to me.

They really need an underground parking structure.

Trying to remember the major construction projects of the past few years:

2006 - Arch on the Quad
2008 - Deacon Tower
2010 - Golf Center
2010 - South Residence Hall
2011 - Tennis Center
2011 - Welcome Center
2011 - The Barn
2011 - Videoboard
2013 - Farrell Hall
2013 - 2 new residence halls, 1 new dining hall

There have also been recent renovations to the Pit (2005), Benson (?), and the Library (2009).

Even as a young alumni, I find myself saying that it doesn't look the same anymore. To be fair, though, that's a lot of change in 5 years.

All things aside, it's good that they are creating another dining
option on north campus. We always cooked in polo, but it'd been nice to have a for option so close. My frosh, maybe soph year too, there was a mini convenience store over by North.

So now this begs to question, where are they going to have everyone park? I know the the past, parking decks have been shot down because of the look, but that would be better than clearcutting some of the forest to build a new parking lot IMO.

In the master plan they casually say that they'll turn the entirety of Q into a 2-3 story parking garage. Of course this can't possibly by cost efficient and even if it was no one would want to donate the money to a parking garage.

My bet is that freshman won't be allowed to have vehicles on campus within 2 years. The 3 year residency requirement will also reduce the need for parking, and they are eventually going to start charging faculty/staff for permits.

Back