• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

Lots of younger people when I was there knew it as Manchester Plaza. Everyone in my program & most of the undergrads that I worked with during orientation.

Count me as a student who has never heard it referred to as Manchester Plaza.

In the master plan they casually say that they'll turn the entirety of Q into a 2-3 story parking garage. Of course this can't possibly by cost efficient and even if it was no one would want to donate the money to a parking garage.

My bet is that freshman won't be allowed to have vehicles on campus within 2 years. The 3 year residency requirement will also reduce the need for parking, and they are eventually going to start charging faculty/staff for permits.

I'll donate the money for a parking garage!! ... just let me win the lotto, grow the money and give them, say,$30 million for it.

In the master plan they casually say that they'll turn the entirety of Q into a 2-3 story parking garage. Of course this can't possibly by cost efficient and even if it was no one would want to donate the money to a parking garage.

My bet is that freshman won't be allowed to have vehicles on campus within 2 years. The 3 year residency requirement will also reduce the need for parking, and they are eventually going to start charging faculty/staff for permits.

If anything, won't this increase the need for parking? People that live off campus park at the God dome or now on Cherry Street and a few walk/bike. I would think that more people living on campus will result in more people needing parking for their cars.

Trying to remember the major construction projects of the past few years:

2006 - Arch on the Quad
2008 - Deacon Tower
2010 - Golf Center
2010 - South Residence Hall
2011 - Tennis Center
2011 - Welcome Center
2011 - The Barn
2011 - Videoboard
2013 - Farrell Hall
2013 - 2 new residence halls, 1 new dining hall

There have also been recent renovations to the Pit (2005), Benson (?), and the Library (2009).

Even as a young alumni, I find myself saying that it doesn't look the same anymore. To be fair, though, that's a lot of change in 5 years.

The Benson renovations were completed in 2009 and were exclusively for the food court (the rest of the building is still in dire need of renovations in order to be a proper student center). They are actually in their 2nd set of minor renovations since the major food court renovation.

If anything, won't this increase the need for parking? People that live off campus park at the God dome or now on Cherry Street and a few walk/bike. I would think that more people living on campus will result in more people needing parking for their cars.

More people will do without, especially if there are more (and better) dining options. There will still be people to park at the "God dome" during the day. Bet they offer it as a discount option to faculty/staff.

More people will do without, especially if there are more (and better) dining options. There will still be people to park at the "God dome" during the day. Bet they offer it as a discount option to faculty/staff.

I don't think this is true.

Wake students aren't going to leave their car at home, because they can "do without." Not a chance.

I don't think this is true.

Wake students aren't going to leave their car at home, because they can "do without." Not a chance.

Most won't, but some will because either they or their parents don't want to deal with the nuisance.

All things aside, it's good that they are creating another dining
option on north campus. We always cooked in polo, but it'd been nice to have a for option so close. My frosh, maybe soph year too, there was a mini convenience store over by North.

that was there all of my 4 years, and i was a couple of years behind you, right? so it should have been there for your entire tenure at wake. they had odd hours and you couldn't really COUNT on it being open, but it was definitely there. i lived on rosedale for my sophomore year and again for second semester of my senior year, and used it frequently.

I'm surprised Wake hasn't tapped into this source of revenue yet.

Funny thing is in the master plan the administration is blasted for the parking arrangement. They basically say they charge students way too much (about twice what our peers do) while not charging faculty/staff at all.

that was there all of my 4 years, and i was a couple of years behind you, right? so it should have been there for your entire tenure at wake. they had odd hours and you couldn't really COUNT on it being open, but it was definitely there. i lived on rosedale for my sophomore year and again for second semester of my senior year, and used it frequently.

It's still open. Something like 4pm-11pm Monday through Friday.

Most won't, but some will because either they or their parents don't want to deal with the nuisance.

Some may, but definitely not enough to decrease the number of cars. A good deal of Wake students/their parents don't consider $500/year or whatever it is up to now to be a nuisance.

The picture in the plan makes it look like the deck is under the new planned dorms, mostly hidden with major access from Scales side.

I used to rag on old alums who would say the campus looks nothing like it did when they were there, and I'm saying the same damn thing. I've only been gone for 10 years, but man so much has changed in such a short time.

Heck, Greene still gets me. That was just the area we used to cut through to go to the gym and it's bigger than Carswell and Calloway.

What's up with the business schools? The undergrads are no longer in kirby?

What's up with the business schools? The undergrads are no longer in kirby?

They are presently but currently a new building is under construction. When it's complete the undergrad and accountancy students will move into it along with the MBA students.

Some may, but definitely not enough to decrease the number of cars. A good deal of Wake students/their parents don't consider $500/year or whatever it is up to now to be a nuisance.

I was referring to the nuisance of getting the car there (and back again) and then maintaining it. Also, not all students have cars when they are admitted to Wake Forest. I bet if there was less need for them then less students would have them period.

I was referring to the nuisance of getting the car there (and back again) and then maintaining it. Also, not all students have cars when they are admitted to Wake Forest. I bet if there was less need for them then less students would have them period.

I don't think there will ever be less need for them, unless maybe Wake starts a shuttle system to grocery stores/downtown/Target, etc. I think Wake is just too closed off of a campus for many students to deal without having a car. The zip cars do seem to be used a lot so maybe if they increased that program.

Back