• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

good deal, thanks for the additional info.
i'm hoping to get over towards campus at some point this fall in a drive between raleigh and asheville; it's been too long since i've been to campus.

It was definitely worth it. I couldn't believe how much had changed. We had lunch at The Pit and walked around campus. My boys got to run around and play. It was a perfect day aside from the heat. It was cool to see campus from my boys' eyes. My 6 year old remembered it even though he was only 2 last time. He said there was a big grassy field to play on. He's got an insane memory. They really liked Wait Chapel and Farrell.

My family did a road trip from Eastern NC to Greenville, SC, up to Winston, and back. First NC road trip in awhile. A lot has changed. Going to post on the NC Eats thread later today.

When paying players in 10 years are you envisioning it being in an uncapped situation giving oregon and Alabama and advantage?

When paying players in 10 years are you envisioning it being in an uncapped situation giving oregon and Alabama and advantage?

No. I can't. I imagine something similar to grad stipends or work study models that are already used to compensate students. Whatever model is used there will be some cap or standard amount. Of course, in any model programs with more money have an advantage.

It was definitely worth it. I couldn't believe how much had changed. We had lunch at The Pit and walked around campus. My boys got to run around and play. It was a perfect day aside from the heat. It was cool to see campus from my boys' eyes. My 6 year old remembered it even though he was only 2 last time. He said there was a big grassy field to play on. He's got an insane memory. They really liked Wait Chapel and Farrell.

My family did a road trip from Eastern NC to Greenville, SC, up to Winston, and back. First NC road trip in awhile. A lot has changed. Going to post on the NC Eats thread later today.

I'd love to take Tim Jr. to MSD sometime and do this but I'm scared he'll love it and dream of going there and I'll have to pay for it (even though I really would be thrilled if the WFU tradition continued).
:couch:

I remember maybe 3 or 4 Asians. It was a culture shock between my time at Science & Math and Duke.

Leebs, Farrell Hall looked great. Every campus needs a modern showcase academic building that can fulfill needs of all students and faculty outside of its intended discipline. Farrell Hall looks like it can fulfill that. It looks good overlooking Poteat Field and pointing toward the new residential campus. My boys and my friends' boys had a great time playing on Poteat Field. Brought back memories.

I'm not a big fan of expanded enrollment, but if you're going to do it, do it like Wake has done it. The Polo campus (or whatever it's called) looks good from Wingate although it was a huge shock. I didn't go up there to see it up close though.

I definitely like that the interior of campus basically looks the same. Passing a pizza place named for Ken Zick was a trip.

Seeing the new indoor football practice facility reinforced my opinion that it's a waste of money. It's a monstrosity that while I'm sure will have a nice brick facade, looks very out of place on campus. A friend of mine called it "the future indoor field hockey stadium."

I also think it will be outdated by the time it's built. It captures an old Zeitgeist and doesn't seem to mesh with where college sports is headed. I think the next big spending projects in college football will be player compensation. The move is gradual, but if you have to ask what Alabama and Oregon will be spending millions of dollars on in 10 years, it's going to be paying players in some form or fashion. I just don't think it's a good look to complete a $21M building project and claim we can't afford to pay players. $21M can pay 85 scholarship athletes $20K a year for over 12 years. Now that's only 12 years, but the McCreary Indoor Center will probably need renovations or updates in 12 years away. The programs ready for the future are the ones that upgraded their facilities years ago and realize that player compensation is coming and are ready to embrace it.

"We" meaning alumni/etc, because that is who is footing the majority of the bill for this construction.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but there were ~100 freshmen from China last year, which is about 10 percent of the entire class. I assume number will be similar this year

I think I posted this elsewhere, but there were ~100 freshmen from China last year, which is about 10 percent of the entire class. I assume number will be similar this year

It would be interesting to know how many are receiving aid of some sort.

Does Wake do a lot of recruiting in Asia? My wife worked at a board school in VA that had a sizable Asian population and they had someone on staff who specifically recruited there -- it's apparently very fashionable to send your kid to an American boarding school.

It would be interesting to know how many are receiving aid of some sort.

I don't know, but I would guess the answer is none. I think that's part of the deal with students from China - they pay full price.

And their participation in class and campus life.

It's a pretty insular community on campus, from what I hear. Babcock is referred to as "China Town" or "Bangkok" (I'm not making that up) because that is where most of the freshman from China live.

It seems like a pure money grab. Many of these students will not stay for four years.

random azns would always take over bball on the top floor of reynolds, so annoying

It's a pretty insular community on campus, from what I hear. Babcock is referred to as "China Town" or "Bangkok" (I'm not making that up) because that is where most of the freshman from China live.

It seems like a pure money grab. Many of these students will not stay for four years.

Well clearly it isn't the Chinese students calling it "Bangkok."

How long have Chinese students been coming in large numbers? Is it too early to have actual graduation data?

Freshmen can choose what dorm to live in now?

Well clearly it isn't the Chinese students calling it "Bangkok."

How long have Chinese students been coming in large numbers? Is it too early to have actual graduation data?

Yeah those are the names other students use. I think it's been two going on three years. Too early to have actual graduation data but I do think a fair number have already transferred out. This is all second-hand info so I don't have any hard data to back it up, but it comes from a pretty reliable source.

Back