• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

I love that Hans tells it like it is. I've been working for the university for 12 years, 6 since my last job title change. Our "merit" raises (which truly are slightly below the inflation rate) only returned this year after a few years hiatus. The only way to gain a meaningful raise is to petition for a title change, which is a lengthy and tedious process involving HR and a matrix they use to determine your value. Even if my boss wants to give me a 10% raise, HR can still deny it. The joys of academia.

I love that Hans tells it like it is. I've been working for the university for 12 years, 6 since my last job title change. Our "merit" raises (which truly are slightly below the inflation rate) only returned this year after a few years hiatus. The only way to gain a meaningful raise is to petition for a title change, which is a lengthy and tedious process involving HR and a matrix they use to determine your value. Even if my boss wants to give me a 10% raise, HR can still deny it. The joys of academia.

This is not a problem exclusive to Wake or academia. Organizations ran lean in the recession, and they realized they could keep it going.

This is not a problem exclusive to Wake or academia. Organizations ran lean in the recession, and they realized they could keep it going.

Yep. tsy is still working there, so MSD is getting away with it.

Right. But until he threatens to do so, he probably won't get that title change and raise.

That's part of the trade off.

Phenomenal job security!
Itty bitty raises.

I seem to remember a lot of those same arguements regarding the faculty during my time at wake in the late 90's.

They've really hammered the faculty in recent years. From small things (requiring faculty to pay for parking) to big things such as winding down university subsidized research at Baptist. They now require research faculty at the med school to obtain 100% of their funding via grants. This has led to an exodus in recent years. They have been denying the addition of additional tenure track slots in favor of more instructor and visiting assistant positions that pay much less. I imagine it's the same at most universities, but seeing it up close at Wake and hearing from so many faculty members (including the one I live with) how fed up they are really drives it home.

The school has a major endowment problem and funds something like 80% of their annual operating costs out of tuition and fees.

Yep. tsy is still working there, so MSD is getting away with it.

He could go work other places that would do the same thing.

Right. But until he threatens to do so, he probably won't get that title change and raise.

Sadly, that's not a viable option without being willing to relocate, which I'm not. They've beaten me down so much over the years that I just take it, and most importantly, bitch about it on an internet message board. Woe is tsy.

The school has a major endowment problem and funds something like 80% of their annual operating costs out of tuition and fees.

I don't know much about university operations and finances in gereral, but this seems like a really serious problem.

Sadly, that's not a viable option without being willing to relocate, which I'm not. They've beaten me down so much over the years that I just take it, and most importantly, bitch about it on an internet message board. Woe is tsy.

And now your wife works there too!

tellem' Hans

Can anyone recall what year a food plan became a mandatory purchase for students?

I don't know much about university operations and finances in gereral, but this seems like a really serious problem.

It is, and it's a harbinger that we will continue to see escalating tuition for students and stagnate salaries for faculty. It's also why we are investing so much in infrastructure lately. It's becoming an arms race to draw more students in because we need the additional revenue per student for the model to be sustainable.

Hence, the Wake Will campaign. Growing the endowment of the university and vis a vis providing an operating revenue base is why the campaign started. We lag behind our peers re: endowment size, thanks to the move to WS years ago (among other reasons).

Hence, the Wake Will campaign. Growing the endowment of the university and vis a vis providing an operating revenue base is why the campaign started. We lag behind our peers re: endowment size, thanks to the move to WS years ago (among other reasons).

Is that right? For some reason I seem to recall, possibly incorrectly, that we had one of the largest endowments among universities during the mid-90s.

Aren't endowment problems due to poor management before and during the Great Recession?

They've really hammered the faculty in recent years. From small things (requiring faculty to pay for parking) to big things such as winding down university subsidized research at Baptist. They now require research faculty at the med school to obtain 100% of their funding via grants. This has led to an exodus in recent years. They have been denying the addition of additional tenure track slots in favor of more instructor and visiting assistant positions that pay much less. I imagine it's the same at most universities, but seeing it up close at Wake and hearing from so many faculty members (including the one I live with) how fed up they are really drives it home.

last part is interesting. does anyone know comparable numbers for other schools (vandy would be a good one to look at)?

I thought in the mid 00s, the administration championed the fiscal management of the endowment in the market.

Back