• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

WFU/UNC game, 1968.

uzz_dad_05448.jpg

More proof of how old the science buildings are. Looks like Salem was the third building constructed on campus.

Old cars are so much more dope than new cars. Why do we even need designers in that industry. Just keep rolling out the 50's designs like we're all living in Havana.

The sad thing is that was two Saturdays before election day. Wake hosted Maryland on Nov 2.

Did GT or MSU have capital campaigns in that time frame (just curious - could also be really impressive returns)? One (of a number) of the reasons Wake lags behind out "peer" schools is that we have only had 3 capital campaigns in our history (and a lot of the projects in the first part of the Wake Will campaign went to capital improvements, not the endowment) - I believe the first one was in the 80s. Duke, Vandy and Emory (in addition to bigger long term major benefactors - the Reynolds are great, but Coke $ wins) have had more campaigns over longer time periods.

Are you on the Rose Council?

I was in the marching band at that time and I don't think that is our formation. First of all, our director, Cal Huber, was not into messages. Second of all the letters were too neat and straight to be ours.

Panorama of Groves Stadium during a football game between Wake Forest and Clemson, 1968. The background buildings at left and center belong to R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Ernie Shore Field is at right.
uzz_dad_05447.jpg

More people came to the games then than do now. Also we had a band that actually formed discernible shapes

The "barn" in the left side of those photos is indeed Reynolda village -- Graylyn would be to the left, outside of the photograph's frame. That's Reynolda Road. (as someone stated). The golf course would be to the right, outside of the picture.

HTTD, the gardens look pretty similar to their current state, but there are a lot more trees. The brush is much thicker.

uzz_dam_06819.jpg

I believe that on the left side of this image, about where Palmer/Piccolo are now, you can see the mobile homes/trailers that were put up for married students coming to school on the GI bill after WWII. There was a whole little married students village up there during the 50s, with an unofficial mayor etc.

Right next to that, you can see the farmhouse that houses WFDD. That's the oldest building on campus (because it was already there before the construction).

Wherever he wants it. Duke has a residence hall named for him so we need to hurry.

This won't be popular, but I find it hard to muster sympathy for tenure-track faculty. Once they pass the tenure bar, their pay is more than respectable and their responsibilities really aren't that taxing. I had some wonderful, life-changing profs at MSD, but I had plenty of duds, too, some of whom were just coasting. Obviously, few if any Wake profs are getting rich, but for those of us in the private sector who live every day with the threat of job loss due to downturns or poor performance, the lifestyle of a college teacher seems pretty damned enviable. I am open to suggestions for why I should view the situation differently.

OGB article posted yesterday: University tenure rates declining

Back