• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach [Redacted]

I could be remembering it wrong, but I thought Wellman specifically said in an interview that he asked that the previous assistants have a chance to interview for the jobs, but that it would be up to the new coach to decide if he wanted to retain them.

I want to confirm that that is indeed what Wellman said. Up to each person if they want to believe him or not.

Why would I believe a man that I think was censoring an independent sports forum as well as constantly being on PR spin mode all year.

I could be remembering it wrong, but I thought Wellman specifically said in an interview that he asked that the previous assistants have a chance to interview for the jobs, but that it would be up to the new coach to decide if he wanted to retain them.

That still seems strange and atypical. Is that even an option most of the time? You just expect the new coach to bring in his own people without the AD saying, "hey, you should interview some guys from the staff that just got fired".

That still seems strange and atypical. Is that even an option most of the time? You just expect the new coach to bring in his own people without the AD saying, "hey, you should interview some guys from the staff that just got fired".

Wellman would go on and continue saying, "Even though that staff was part of a 'culture' that I didn't like. But I won't mention that now...I'll wait to bring up the culture thing later in a PR move. I got it all mapped out. #winning."

You idiots should go back and read the in season interviews with Bz and Wellman where both independently stated that Bz was given free reign with assistants. Bz lauded Jeff Battle and Rusty and their talents. Ron said the same thing in interview with Dan Collins that he gave Jeff full control of his staff.

Let's stop being sensational and pretending to forget things we know have been stated in the press.

What else would you expect them to say?

And what kind of experienced head coach doesn't have assistants he wants to bring with him to a new job.

Oh wait, he did want to bring an assistant with him and Ron didn't let him.

Let's stop being sensational and pretending to forget things we know have been stated in the press.

I suggest you stop taking everything you read at face value. Them saying all those things were dead in the middle of a PR blitz of Wellman trying to not win, but calm down, the fan base.

Wellman's comments earlier were that Buzz was asked to interview the assistants.

Then once we were so putrid that if Wake fans actually cared there would be a vocal revolt, Wellman changed the story to Buzz had total control on the situation.

I'm sure there are other examples of a new head coach coming in and keeping 3 out of the previous 4 assistant coaches, but I'm struggling to remember them off the top of my head.

Please, JimDuncan, enlighten me on these other instances where this happened. And if you cannot, can you at least admit it is curious that Buzz kept 3 out of 4 assistants when we were later told the "culture" of the program was in such horrible shape that it needed a complete turn-a-round.

Thanks in advance.

Of course Bzzz was given nominal control over the staff after he was hired. Anything short of that would look ridiculous and bush league. Whether Wellman made it a strict condition of the hire that Battle and Rusty be retained or strongly hinted that should take place we'll probably never know.

But look at what happened. On the day Bzzz was announced, he had already made the "decision" to retain Battle and Rusty. There was no formal interview process and no outsiders were considered for those positions, as far as we know.

I'm probably more concerned that Bzzz apparently had no assistants to whom he held any great loyalty or who had any great loyalty to him. I mean, he's been in basketball for 30 years, he's coming across the country to take a new job in a new conference, and he doesn't have at least one close assistant he wants to fight to have join him in a new situation? That seems kind of strange.

There are just so many red flags here. It's hard to even start connecting the dots because there is so much we don't know, but it's hard to make much sense of the Bzzz hire. And the past year has proven it is a disaster.

I know for a fact that the asst. coaches were interviewed by [Redacted] and did not know for a few days if they had a job or not...you can ask any of the recruits and they will confirm this. Battle and Rusty were both keeping contact with the recruits but could not give them a definite answer when it came to their job status, which is why none of the recruits made an immediate statement regarding their intentions.

Timeline according to press reports:

April 7: Dino fired

April 7-9: Wellman strikes out on/refuses to pursue good candidates for job

April 9: Initial word leaks on Bzzz

April 11: Bzzz will fly to W-S on Monday, April 12 according to Katz

April 12: Bzzz flies to W-S

April 13: Bzzz interviews for job

April 14: Bzzz announced as head coach/announces Battle and Rusty staying on

Must have been lots of time on April 13 for Bzzz to conduct thorough interviews with Battle and Rusty after he was offered the job himself

Glad to have Buzz ON- board...now that THE ORACLE" has spoken all can rest easy and put away their arm-chair expertise.

Don't forget my fries with that last order, eh kids?

Timeline according to dot com:
April 7: Dino fired
Wow really surprised, Wellman has more balls than I thought! Ok let's get this Stevens deal done!

April 9: Initial word leaks on Bzzz
Haha someone thinks we'd actually consider [Redacted], on paper he's the worst candidate of all those rumored.

April 11: Bzzz will fly to W-S on Monday, April 12 according to Katz
April 12: Bzzz flies to W-S
April 13: Bzzz interviews for job
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

April 14: Bzzz announced as head coach/announces Battle and Rusty staying on
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Well at least Battle and Rusty are staying.
April 11th-14th had me in a sweaty panic of denial, followed by sad acceptance, like when I ended up going to junior prom with a friend instead of any number of hot women.

I'm still curious why Wellman felt that he could engage in a longer search process. This whole thing took less than a week. This is the quickest search we've had under Wellman, even quicker than Dino's hiring. Why did he feel he had to get a safe pick in so quickly instead of looking at other options?

Thanks for the info, King.

He panicked.:tear:

I think it has been stated several times on this board and the other board that Ron Wellman had already made up his mind after the Miami loss about Dino Gaudio. If I am making that up then I apologize. I thought one of the insiders said that Wellman had talked directly to coaches, as well as had feelers out to judge the pulse of the different coaches.

To say that Ron Wellman only looked for a week is a discredit to him as an Athletic Director. If all of the other searches by Ron Wellman took longer than a week, why would this be any different? I am fairly certain that RW did not fire Dino Gaudio with the intention of bringing in Jeff [Redacted]. I do not know this for sure, but he is not an idiot. He thought that he could get a good coach that would take us where he wanted us.

I think it has been stated several times on this board and the other board that Ron Wellman had already made up his mind after the Miami loss about Dino Gaudio. If I am making that up then I apologize. I thought one of the insiders said that Wellman had talked directly to coaches, as well as had feelers out to judge the pulse of the different coaches.

To say that Ron Wellman only looked for a week is a discredit to him as an Athletic Director.

That doesn't make him look very good either imho.

RW doesn't come out of this smelling like roses regardless of how you look at it.

Him saying that he "couldn't be happier" with the state of the basketball program this past January does enough to discredit him as the Ath Director as anything on these boards.

Back