• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

"Academic exceptions in some cases" is a totally undefinable...and therefore totally meaningless...position. It's a blank check that could mean anything...which is to say that it means nothing.

Or it gives some leeway to bring in some kids who might make the most of the opportunity. I do believe the Admissions department has a cap on the # of exceptions a coach/sport can request, but this has been the long standing policy of the university to my understanding, and I would rather take a flier and give a kid like Josh Howard, who struggled academically in HS even with an extra year of prep at Hargrave, an opportunity (who, btw, meets even your criteria of graduating in four years and being proud of his education).

Minorities who struggle academically are not welcome #WakeWill #The WakeWay

We need to be careful to differentiate between lower admission standards and lower academic standards. I'm all in favor of allowing a reasonable number of students each year to be admitted who don't equate academically with the average incoming student if they bring something culturally, geographically, artistically, and yes athletically if it will add to the overall quality of the WFU student body, so long as they project to be able to handle the required academic load. And if that means easier courses that are available to all students and tutors, fine. there's a big difference in an admissions exception at Wake coming in an being required/expected to function as a semi-regular student, vs. at UNC where from Day 1 they are shuttled in to nonexistent or sham paper-only classes with no expectations that they will be required to work towards a degree.

One hell of a home run, Wellman. More like a dink single.

If this poor bastard can wade through the morass that you created, then the next AD should give him the keys to the kingdom.

The question was stated b/c Manning just met with the Tulsa AD and this was one of his asking points - if he asked for it at Tulsa, why wouldn't he ask for it at Wake, and what was Wellman/Hatch's response?

ETA: as mack has repeatedly pointed out, Wake has always had academic exemptions for some cases, and will continue to do so. Asking what the nature of our academic requirements isn't whoring yourself out. Without some academic leeway for some athletes, this never happens:

Shit. that was great, hadn't seen that.

I hope we load up on jucos and academic exceptions and one-and-done guys and win some fucking games.

NBA Coaches that Manning played for:

Gene Shue
Don Casey
Mike Schuler
Larry Brown
Bob Weiss
Lenny Wilkens
Paul Westphal
Danny Ainge
George Karl
Jerry Sloan
Don Nelson
Rick Carlise

a pretty good stable of coaches there to learn from, including a couple of hall of famers.

Last edited:
The question was stated b/c Manning just met with the Tulsa AD and this was one of his asking points - if he asked for it at Tulsa, why wouldn't he ask for it at Wake, and what was Wellman/Hatch's response?

ETA: as mack has repeatedly pointed out, Wake has always had academic exemptions for some cases, and will continue to do so. Asking what the nature of our academic requirements isn't whoring yourself out. Without some academic leeway for some athletes, this never happens:

This video represents WFU at its best. This ^^^ right here, is why. Josh is always going to be one of my favorite Deacs because his story is phenomenal.

Not saying it's a real asset (not sure) but he's played under a lot of HOF coaches.

Clippers (88-94)
Gene Shue
Don Casey
Mike Schuler
Larry Brown
Bob Weiss

Hawks (94)
Lenny Wilkens

Suns (94-99)
Paul Westphal
Danny Ainge

Bucks (99-00)
George Karl

Jazz (00-01)
Jerry Sloan

Mavericks (01-02)
Don Nelson

Detroit Pistons (03)
Rick Carlisle

So some really good coaches in there.

Let's hope Danny was paying attention to both what the coach was teaching and HOW the coach was doing it. That is, did he spend some time on the "how to coach" parts of what he was seeing from the NBA mentors and from Self? He certainly had some good people from whom to learn.

Let's hope Danny was paying attention to both what the coach was teaching and HOW the coach was doing it. That is, did he spend some time on the "how to coach" parts of what he was seeing from the NBA mentors and from Self? He certainly had some good people from whom to learn.

Most assuredly he did with Self since he was an assistant there for so long

Back