• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

Well let's do this! Has to have full support now that it's a done deal. Wasn't high on hire but it's done time to move forward.

It's official.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 6m
Wake Forest has hired Tulsa coach Danny Manning, sources told ESPN. Story coming.

Doesn't hurt our image at all. No one will remember (other than Wake and Tulsa fans- two of the five or so smallest fanbases in D-I) this next week. WGAF at least he prompted us to do something rather than settling on Russell God Damn Turner.

exactly

Thanks OGB for this thread

Though unproven as a coach, his basketball career will certainly be a source of solid publicity for us in the near term.

Has nothing to do with some nebulous TWFW bullshit. He's actually created a story this week of "Tough decision: Wake or Tulsa." Hurts our image. Sorry if you can't understand that.

What did you expect him to say before there was probably even a real offer? His actions suggest he knew he would likely take the job.

Anyone want to start a thread for his assistants? Tulsa assistants were Bret Ballard, Wendell Moore and Steve Woodberry.

Anyone want to start a thread for his assistants? Tulsa assistants were Bret Ballard, Wendell Moore and Steve Woodberry.

I think there is one already? Might have fallen to the second page over the course of the week.

Wow. It's not often that you see someone just come right out and publicly proclaim his desire to become a whore.

At what point did I proclaim anything? I asked a question, to which I hope the answer is no. You're unsmart.

If I misunderstood the nature of your post...as I evidently did...I apologize. I thought you were advocating for lower academic standards. By posing the question itself without any qualifying statement, your intentions were hard to discern. I am pleased that you are not and that I was wrong about your position. My post still applies to any Wake Forest graduate who would be in favor of this.

The question was stated b/c Manning just met with the Tulsa AD and this was one of his asking points - if he asked for it at Tulsa, why wouldn't he ask for it at Wake, and what was Wellman/Hatch's response?

ETA: as mack has repeatedly pointed out, Wake has always had academic exemptions for some cases, and will continue to do so. Asking what the nature of our academic requirements isn't whoring yourself out. Without some academic leeway for some athletes, this never happens:

Last edited:
If I misunderstood the nature of your post...as I evidently did...I apologize. I thought you were advocating for lower academic standards. By posing the question itself without any qualifying statement, your intentions were hard to discern. I am pleased that you are not and that I was wrong about your position. My post still applies to any Wake Forest graduate who would be in favor of this.

Manning was specifically pushing for reduced academic standards at Tulsa during his contract renegotiation. Giles, as I've heard from a few places, may have trouble qualifying academically. Thus, my question to the poster who suggested Manning go out and bring Giles to Wake.

Back