• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

OldGoldBeard

A Sorry WR Like Crabtree
Reaction score
This is a thread for those folks who don't have their priorities straight (i.e. don't "have time" to comb through multiple threads of 1,000+ replies to find details). I'm sure it will be out-of-date nearly as soon as I post it, but I'll try to update as I'm able. Would appreciate this one being kept free of Wellman sucks/the Big East sucks/Why not Josh Pastner?-type posts, though I'm thinking that's a lost cause.

Whom are we considering?

There are a number of candidates out there, with the first news coming on 3/21.

From a reliable source. Amaker, Howland, and Smart.

There they are. Make it happen.

Obviously there are more preferable choices than others.

Discuss the merits of all three together. Go.

I consider this reliable information.

Rick Barnes has also been reported by posters, as has Jay Wright.

I have source (sorry...no PM's) that tells me has been contacted by WFU and there is mutual interest.

Local guy, ACC experience, big time experience and a track record of success. Not the worst choice. That being said would be a let down from all the Shaka, Marshall and Howland talk.

Cliff notes: put Wright at the top of tsy's list. Concern about big east future, perceived as cheaper than shaka.

My big takeaway was this: we are finally singing for the fences. Hard to say if that's true or not. Just quarters being fed to some at least

These are both long-time posters without a history of trolling, so I'm inclined to listen.

Lastly, Gary Parrish has reported that Chris Mack is a "legitimate candidate." See http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499172/xaviers-chris-mack-emerges-as-legitimate-target-at-wake-forest.

Whoever it is, we're apparently willing to pay them, as this was posted in the Coaching Search thread.

The BOT told Wellman that money won't be an issue for the hire.

I consider this credible information.

Several other names have been floated, but I give them little credence. Of course, the fact that someone is a candidate does not mean that a hiring is imminent, does not mean that they'll get an offer, does not even mean that they're anything other than a smokescreen, so try not to flip out over any one of them.

Who's our top target then?

All signs point to Shaka Smart.

The first indication was this ACC Sports Journal article: Smart No. 1 on Wake Forest's Radar. We've had confirmation from multiple sources that we have, indeed, reached out to Shaka, including this ESPN piece, and the following post by board insider Childress Crossing.

Wake Forest is interested in, and has reached out to, Shaka. What the status of this contact with Shaka is, or has yielded thus far, remains unclear.

Jeff Goodman seems to agree he's our top choice.

Is Chris Mack really considering the Wake job, or is he angling for more dollars from Xavier?
Jeff Goodman (11:03 AM)

No one has reached out to Mack from Wake Forest -- yet. They are likely going to make a run (like Marquette) for Shaka. It would be a tough decision for Mack -- since he has a terrific recruiting class coming in next year at Xavier. I think it could go either way if Wellman and Wake come after him.

That does not mean Goodman thinks we get him.

Does Wake Forest have a good chance at getting Shaka?
Jeff Goodman (11:11 AM)

Shaka is close to the vest. No one knows yet on this one, but again -- I think Shaka winds up staying at VCU over going to Marquette or Wake.

To my knowledge, there have been no such reports about us making contact with other coaching candidates. I feel comfortable in saying we're making an all-out effort for Smart, and then will turn to fallback candidates.

As for those fallbacks, Howland allegedly prefers us over Marquette, per Pitt's Rivals reporter.

Matthew Steinbrink ‏@MattSteinbrink 36m
I've heard Ben Howland prefers the Wake Forest job to Marquette. We will see.

ACC Sports Journal, in a premium article, also reports mutual interest between us and Chris Mack. Link.

But I thought Marquette had already hired Shaka?

Well, if they have, no major outlet is reporting it.

There were two major sources for those rumors, Jerry Meyer of 247 and [Mystery Wisconsin Reporter who seems to have disappeared.]

Meyer first caught everybody's attention with this series of tweets:

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247
Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 2m
@BPredict also hearing shakas assistants rnt that sure on it. Feel confident negotiations r going down.

A Marquette reporter upped the ante around 5:30 yesterday by saying it was a done deal. Strangely, all his posts seem to have disappeared, as has a thread started by Strattocaster reporting the same thing. (Note: I'm referring not to Joe Arrigo, but someone by a name I can't remember (Glanz?) who's supposedly associated with Marquette).

Regardless, there have been plenty of reports over the last 16 hours that nothing is imminent, much less official. Some of the more pertinent are below.

Steve Chamraz ‏@TMJ4Steve 57s
:: UPDATE: As of 9:30pm, @muathletics says there is still nothing new to report on the Shaka Smart frenzy spawned by Twitter. Carry on.

Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44 1m
Re: Shaka Smart - A lot of internet rumors out there, but according to my convo with VCU folks this morning, there's nothing to report.

Tim Pearrell ‏@timpearrelltd 15m
#VCU AD Ed McLaughlin says this a.m. that "Shaka Smart is our men's basketball coach" after erroneous reports about Marquette job on Mon.

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein 1m
Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/mu-hasnt-landed-shaka-smart-b99232192z1-252125081.html

Goodman likewise is skeptical.

WHY DOESN'T SHAKA WANT US (MU)?
Jeff Goodman (11:04 AM)

No one knows with 100 percent certainly whether Shaka wants you guys or not, but I'm being told he's leaning towards turning it down. One major issue is Marquette has an interim AD and president -- and coaches want to know they are working for someone who will stick by them and who hired them. Another is the TV package.

Shaka isnt coming to Marquette...is he?
Jeff Goodman (11:05 AM)

My gut? No, I don't think so.

The Milwaukee paper seems to be losing hope, saying that "Marquette did its due diligence with Shaka Smart, investigating what it would take for the Virginia Commonwealth coach to come home to Wisconsin, sources say. But as of Tuesday, Smart was still at VCU and had given no indication that he was prepared to leave." Link.

However, neither has Shaka or VCU made any sort of official statement to announce that he's saying. I'll post this here too, because I find it interesting.

On of my buddies knows Shaka and is really tight with someone in Shaka's inner circle, texts with him daily, etc. I had him ask for me today what was going on, and he said he has just gotten complete silence back. Not even a "can't talk about it" response. He said any other day dude texts him back in like 5 minutes, so something is definitely up.

My buddy says he would be shocked if it was Marquette. He said Shaka is super loyal to his assistants, and a big reason why he didn't go to UCLA was that all of the assistants are east coast guys, so he would likely have to jettison one or two to get west coast recruiting traction. In addition to the other seemingly weaker aspect of Marquette, he was thinking that he would still have to let an assistant or two go. Who knows what is going to happen, but it is more food for thought.

Again, long-time poster, and I find the info credible, even if there are no firm conclusions.

So where are we?

To quote one Jim Grobe, "Only the Lord knows." Ron plays it close to the vest, as I'm sure you're all aware, so nothing to do but sit and hit the refresh button in the meantime. I will update as new info comes in.

Related News

Not worth a title update, since he was never mentioned by any media source or insider as a candidate, but Steve Masiello is off the board to USF, per Gary Parrish. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...llo-expected-to-accept-offer-to-be-usfs-coach. Or maybe he's not getting the job because he never graduated from college. Womp womp.

*UPDATE 11:25*

Jeff Goodman seems to agree Shaka's our top choice.

Is Chris Mack really considering the Wake job, or is he angling for more dollars from Xavier?
Jeff Goodman (11:03 AM)

No one has reached out to Mack from Wake Forest -- yet. They are likely going to make a run (like Marquette) for Shaka. It would be a tough decision for Mack -- since he has a terrific recruiting class coming in next year at Xavier. I think it could go either way if Wellman and Wake come after him.

That does not mean Goodman thinks we get him.

Does Wake Forest have a good chance at getting Shaka?
Jeff Goodman (11:11 AM)

Shaka is close to the vest. No one knows yet on this one, but again -- I think Shaka winds up staying at VCU over going to Marquette or Wake.

Goodman likewise is skeptical.

WHY DOESN'T SHAKA WANT US (MU)?
Jeff Goodman (11:04 AM)

No one knows with 100 percent certainly whether Shaka wants you guys or not, but I'm being told he's leaning towards turning it down. One major issue is Marquette has an interim AD and president -- and coaches want to know they are working for someone who will stick by them and who hired them. Another is the TV package.

Shaka isnt coming to Marquette...is he?
Jeff Goodman (11:05 AM)

My gut? No, I don't think so.

*Update Wednesday a.m.*

ACC Sports Journal, in a premium article, also reports mutual interest between us and Chris Mack. Link.

The Milwaukee paper seems to be losing hope, saying that "Marquette did its due diligence with Shaka Smart, investigating what it would take for the Virginia Commonwealth coach to come home to Wisconsin, sources say. But as of Tuesday, Smart was still at VCU and had given no indication that he was prepared to leave." Link.

*Update Wednesday p.m.*

Whoever our target is, we're apparently willing to pay them, as this was posted in the Coaching Search thread.

The BOT told Wellman that money won't be an issue for the hire.

I consider this credible information.

I'm not going to copy and paste the post here, because it is behind a paywall, but Deman on the 247 board says that rumors are flying that it's a done deal. No info on who it is, though. *Deman now guessing that it's Howland. He may be right, but I think he's doing no more than throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks.*

Also, this:

late breaking word of a players meeting later today ----------- purpose of the meeting unknown

Both FWIW

Deman has recanted, now says no deal imminent.

3/27/14 9:07 am.: Last night, several posters, including Turd Ferguson and Ph, said that they'd heard that things were going well. The consensus seems to be that we've made a major push for Shaka, and he is, at the very least, listening. Knowing WF, that means we're in for devastating heartbreak in the near future, but think happy thoughts until then.

I am reliably told that Wake extended a formal contract offer to Shaka Smart either late Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning and he is now deciding what he wants to do. He was receptive during talks, but I do not want to say that he will definitely be our new coach, as that is still up in the air right now. I can also not say with any certainty if there were any negotiations yesterday between Wake and Coach Smart after the initial offer.

But that is where things stood about 24 hours ago.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 1m
VCU's Shaka Smart will not, despite recent speculation, be the next head coach of Marquette, a source has told @CBSSports. Story coming ...

Another post I consider credible information:

This [Seconding a DV7 post stating, "The main media sources might not realize/know it, but Wake is going to throw out big time money for the right candidates this time. Money won't be the reason that Shaka doesn't come here if that ends up being the case."

It also won't be (no matter what is said publicly) some vague issue with worries about recruiting restrictions. Don't get me wrong, there are recruiting restrictions at Wake that don't exist at every school but they aren't so massive that a coach can't excel here. This all comes down to whether he thinks Wake is the spot for him to take his shot at cementing himself as an all-time coach. The reality is many coaches only get one shot at a job in an elite conference so if you don't choose wisely it can be a career breaker and Shaka is quite aware of this. He is also aided by having a pretty cushy gig right now that doesn't make him feel obligated to jump at the first chance. Wake seems to have some things going for it that some of the other big openings over the past couple of years didn't. Only time will tell

Nothing new has been reported to me as of a little over an hour ago. The longer this plays out, the lower our chances are going to be. As has been said a few times, if there isn't some more smoke by the end of tomorrow then it might be time to start panicking. And by panic I simply mean accepting he likely won't be our coach. We will still wind up with a very good coach IMO, and the opinion of those I know/trust. Too many influential and powerful people at Wake have too much pride and ego on the line (Wake Will) for this hire to be anything other than a splashy one. I suppose it is possible we whiff on all the top choices and wind up with somebody closer to a Russell Turner but from what I have heard I wouldn't expect us to go any lower than a Miller/Mack level and even that is going to be considered a bit unacceptable both to many on these boards and to those with the most on the line.

A couple of minor things from overnight.

I've now heard from three people that VCU has let Shaka know that their bball budget has been extended as far as it can go. They can't offer anymore than what they've committed to him, his staff, and the program that what is already in the works now.

Of course, VCU could have never competed with us on a strictly level playing field, but I think this news spins things slightly.
His talking to us is not a negotiating point to get more money from VCU on that information.

Take that FWIW.

Also, the VCU AD put out another wishy-washy statement, possibly recycle from Sunday, that a bunch of stupid people flipped out over. Smart 'Committed' to VCU.

Nothing that hasn't been posted by board members thus far, but Dan Collins has a new piece up, titled Swinging for the Fences.

The Shaka dream is dead.

Anybody know where Hatch is right now? I heard he has a 4pm with a coach prospect. Can't confirm the info.

Both FWIW

Basically nothing of importance yesterday, but I'll post some bits and pieces.

Down here at Dirty Myrtle with Donald Ross. FWIW, he has heard that Shaka was offered $3MM/year. Shaka has asked for the weekend to think about it.

From the same guy that told me the offer was at $3 million/year: Wellman gave shaka the offer Wednesday (like we've heard) and gave him the weekend to think it over. Said to expect an announcement or leaks on Monday or late Sunday (only leaks). Announcement shouldn't be later than Tuesday.

Again, can't say how in the know this guy is, but know that he's a big fan that isn't crazy like section 2 or anybody.

Given that YoungBuck says he "ha no clue how reliable this guy is," I do not consider that credible information. Which is not to say that I reject the possibility of that being the case. In fact, I think it more likely than not that the above scenario--save perhaps the amount of the offer--is exactly what's going on. However we have no better than informed (and even that may be a stretch) speculation on that point.

Neither of the above would be worth posting had anything happened yesterday, so take with a spoonful of salt.

This is totally not a #scoop, but I was on campus Thur and Fri for Law Board of Visitors meetings. It's taken me until now to get caught up on this thread from Wed afternoon. Hatch spoke to the LBOV around 11am on Fri (absolutely not idea what he did after that). After he was done he opened up the floor for questions about "anything - the university as a whole, the law school, the basketball coaching search..." Everyone laughed, but one of the LBOV members said, "so, about the coaching search..." Hatch's response was that it was "progressing very well," that it obviously was taking longer and was anticipated to take longer than the Clawson hire - these things normally don't get done in 7 days, and that they were "really aiming high." Nothing new, but since I hadn't read anything on here since We'd early afternoon, the "really aiming high" part got me (and the rest of the LBOV members that care about basketball) pretty excited.

Really doesn't do anything but confirm what we already knew.

Ah, damn. I had second thoughts about posting so I tried to ninja-delete, but you caught me.

Its direct contact but I don't think anybody has heard much since Thursday. As time progresses, I think that's a better and better sign for WF.

I missed the initial post, but VTwhat now waffling on his "dream is dead" post. Again, take that FWIW.

Wow. Kind of glad I missed this shitshow this weekend. But just to recap:

Shaka: Not happening. Moving on.

Amaker: Staying at BC [sic, Harvard].

Howland: Not hearing much, should take the Cal job if Montgomery retires today, correct?

Archie: Our main focus? NC ties, Elite 8 on his resume, young and energetic. Extension signed in the winter, so not concerned about the buyout or salary.

Marshall: I've contended all along that Gregg was out. Would RW change his mind if he knew he was desperate? Still don't see it happening.

Mack: Smokescreen? RW is good at leaks that don't mean anything.

Wild cards: Manning, White, et al. Sounds like there has been some connections made regarding Mike White. Hopefully he is our floor.

ETA: Amaker and Mack

FWIW

Again, FWIW.

Shaka might have wanted to come to Wake. But the wife said no. Wellman is on to plan B. Meeting with him today.

There is no significance to the letter 'B' in Plan B. Wellman is meeting with another candidate today. Shaka would have been great here.

Since we're just throwing things out there...I heard Mike White is no longer under consideration because he withdrew his name, Archie turned us down, and Tim Miles is/was a possible candidate.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...manning?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not really news, but we have no news, so here you go.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_dd44912a-b9bf-11e3-a9e6-001a4bcf6878.html

Met with Manning yesterday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...est-meets-with-tulsa-head-coach-danny-manning

Kenny Beck speculates.

Kenny Beck had nothing new to report. Said Manning was not on campus today or yesterday, and "a hire is not imminent"

Latest Update

I assume everyone has seen all the Manning stuff, and he was certainly on campus today, with all signs indicating that he will be our next coach, which I still believe. However, there's this from ~7:10 p.m.

Kenny Beck ‏@kennybeckWXII 1m
Asked if he believed a hire was imminent, WFU's Steve Shutt paused, and said "I don't know. I'm not sure where we're at."

Parrish article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...anning-leaning-toward-leaving-for-wake-forest

Last edited:
Thanks man, this is good stuff.

I'd be thrilled with Shaka, Wright or Howland (in that order). And I'd be happy with Mack or Barnes. Less thrilled but not too upset about Amaker.

Wellman sucks/the Big East sucks/Why not Josh Pastner.

I must spread some reputation around ...

Should probably lock it and just let OGB update the OP and thread title.

Yeah, we really need five sticky threads. Ultimate Butthead move.

Thanks for researching and compiling this info...In Townie we Trust! Have heard nothing from Country Dan.

I think it's best to leave it open so people can keep bumping it. I will update the OP as we go on, and add something to the title indicating the same for major updates. A lot of the info, particularly the tweets, were stolen from wake20 on the coaching search thread, so credit to him as well.

Should probably lock it and just let OGB update the OP and thread title.

If that was possible/easy, sure.

Probably best if it just stays unstickied and let OGB bump/update the first post as he says he will do. That way you only need to read that first post for any new info and comments won't really matter.

Great breakdown OGB...thanks. Even after reading every thread, I couldn't follow everything going on and learned some stuff from this. Appreciate it.

For major updates, of which we just had our first, I'm going to add the new info both to the general narrative and in a separate section at the bottom of the post.

RECAP of AFTERNOON and NIGHT NEWS

Acc website reported Mack had been contacted by Wake and there was "muutal interest" (very small contract with X under a million) Mentioned Shaka Marshall and Howland as front runners. Mack as a backup plan.

SHAKA FRONT
VCU assistant coach and Shaka's second in command took the Head Coaching job at Rice right around close of business.

Marquette was very quiet all day after looking really bad on Monday. Speculation not confirmed offer out to Shaka waiting on decision before moving on to Howland as their backup plan. Buzz Williams took a pay cut from 2.8 - > 2.3 million at Va Tech - Marquette is a financial heavy weight willing to just reallocate Buzz's monies even if the Big East is not on par with the ACC.

TOMORROW

Meetings between Shaka and his AD continue as Richmond Times has twice cited contract language and potential raises in updates.

Last year Shaka declined interest and recommitted to VCU on Wednesday. One would think VCU would want an official statement soon.

"Acc website reported Mack had been contacted by Wake and there was "muutal interest" (very small contract with X under a million) Mentioned Shaka Marshall and Howland as front runners. Mack as a backup plan. "

Dave Glenn gave the same top three (Marshall included).

Back