• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

I never said such a thing, but that never stopped you from trying to put words into my mouth.

His post wasn't putting words in your fucking mouth. It was explaining your behavior.

Disappointing to read the Perish article, where money seems like the deciding factor for a guy that doesn't need it. I was hoping he'd talk about the opportunity Wake presented him and being able to compete in the ACC.

Disappointing to read the Perish article, where money seems like the deciding factor for a guy that doesn't need it. I was hoping he'd talk about the opportunity Wake presented him and being able to compete in the ACC.

It seems like we are hiring a mercenary to just stop the bleeding.

I totally agree with Dirk's post on the other thread saying the ads and billboards harmed this search.

bullshit

there Is a 500 page thread for shaka--BEGGING HIM TO COME HERE--one you didn't know about for 400 pages

if he came here he would have been treated LIKE a god

THE ONLY REASON WE CAN'T GET ANYONE HERE IS BECAUSE THE SQUAD [name redacted] LEFT BEHIND IS PATHETIC

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

that and wellman of course

Yup. He's been playing Wellman since Monday.

Most coaches are mercenaries and most coaches use interest to leverage better deals. I can live with that.

Lots of conspiracy theories here...but just maybe it is as simple as a lot of coaches feel comfortable where they are. A lot goes into that including the ability to make the NCAA tourney, relationships with current and incoming players, spouse's ties to the community, etc. Ron Wellman can't force anyone to take the Wake job. It seems completely fair game to criticize Ron for 4 years of Bzzz and making the job less attractive, but given where we are as a program/school we simply aren't the fantastic destination many on here seem to think we are.

Everyone was willing to go with an untested assistant like Pelphrey in the recent past and now suddenly an experienced assistant and potentially high-rising coach is beneath us?

Yes, it is a red flag that this negotiation has gone on so long. The rumors that the King leaked the initial reach out by WF also adds more worry that he might be kind of an empty suit coach sleez'n for more money, or freedoms, from wherever he can get it.

Yes, it is a red flag that this negotiation has gone on so long. The rumors that the King leaked the initial reach out by WF also adds more worry that he might be kind of an empty suit coach sleez'n for more money, or freedoms, from wherever he can get it.

Yeah... Just not feeling as great right now. But out of my hands. #RonTakeTheWheel

Most coaches are mercenaries and most coaches use interest to leverage better deals. I can live with that.

He could have tactfully done all of this without letting the world know we were interested.

Say he actually does get a great counter from Tulsa, and says Fuck it, I'll stay and have my lax academics all day long and a big raise... Essentially fucking our entire remaining search. Let's then check back about Wellman and how you think he did

Danny Manning could shit on the quad and your response would be "I can live with that". Just curious...you've stated many times how Buzz Williams could never coach at Wake because "HE RECRUITS JUCOS!!!!111111". Did you ever comment on the fact that Manning's latest recruiting class includes (horror) two JUCOs?

Chris has sort of stakes himself to position filled with contradictions. Strange for a guy who is usually dead on.

Danny Manning could shit on the quad and your response would be "I can live with that". Just curious...you've stated many times how Buzz Williams could never coach at Wake because "HE RECRUITS JUCOS!!!!111111". Did you ever comment on the fact that Manning's latest recruiting class includes (horror) two JUCOs?

that is concerning to me and i wasn't aware of that because we usually wouldn't touch a coach that had recruiting focus on Jucos. I wonder if that is a holdup because it seems inconsistent with what we are looking for. I know Tulsa has higher admission standards than the NCAA. Were these Jucos that qualified out of HS?

But other than that. Coaches play schools against each other for raises. Skip did it. Grobe did it. Hard to avoid.

Last edited:
Pretty incredible that Ron missed on all of the following:

1) Marshall
2) Smart
3) A. Miller
4) Howland
5) White

His management of WFU over the last 4 years has been, at best, a D (Clawson hire was objectively reasonable).

But maybe I'm reading too much into the Parish article.

Back