• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

If someone from outside calls a Wake hire a great hire, follow up with "Will this coach get Wake to the Final Four?" If they say no, they have too low an opinion of Wake and different definitions of "great hire." If they say yes, they might actually not be disingenuous.

I think that is a good perspective I had not thought of.

Let's be clear, Danny took over a shit program that won 17 games his first year, after winning a similar number the year before he got here, and then won FOUR MORE GAMES in a plundered CUSA.

Great. He won an incredibly weak conference and lost lost to UCLA. If that's our fucking standard lets just hire the guy from Wofford.

This.

Also, Doug Wojcik did a better job than he's getting credit for while he was there.

Below are Tulsa's records in the five years before Danny Manning got there:
2007-2008: 25-14
2008-2009: 25-11
2009-2010: 23-12
2010-2011: 19-13
2011-2012: 17-14

It wasn't like Manning inherited a dumpster fire. He basically got the same type of situation that [name redacted] was handed after Saint Dino was fired. A young team, but one of the better recruiting classes in recent Tulsa history and in a program that was in decent shape in an otherwise decrepit conference.

This.

Also, Doug Wojcik did a better job than he's getting credit for while he was there.

Below are Tulsa's records in the five years before Danny Manning got there:
2007-2008: 25-14
2008-2009: 25-11
2009-2010: 23-12
2010-2011: 19-13
2011-2012: 17-14

It wasn't like Manning inherited a dumpster fire. He basically got the same type of situation that [name redacted] was handed after Saint Dino was fired. A young team, but one of the better recruiting classes in recent Tulsa history and in a program that was in decent shape in an otherwise decrepit conference.

Tulsa had won a lot of games in the years before, but Manning inherited a nearly blank roster. Getting 17-16 KP 178 out of that year 1 roster composition might have been poor. But it's also possible that it was masterful and Bill Self himself couldn't have done much better. In comparison, Bz was only able to get KP 270 with his mostly freshman team year 1 with much much more talented recruits.

We just don't know on Manning. He might suck or he might be awesome.

Agree 100%. I wasn't impressed with the way he handled that.

Manning has not handled the situation with much class. He's using Wake for self promotion. This is just not how it works...to leave us twisting in the wind. Looking more and more like he's using Wake to leverage Tulsa. TULSA. Wellman and Bzz crushed Wake Basketball.

What's taking so long? This process is not engendering any sort of confidence in the fans.

"Well i am looking for a little help from friends and family this month......If you need a new or pre owned vehicle of any kind all i ask is to please get ahold of me and let me try to help u out.....We do have some great specials going on as well as no payments till 2014....call or text me at 3048208967....."

Text pittsnogle and say thanks for cursing our program for eternity.

Siff, your link took me to a link entitled "Why Tim Duncan Has Gotten Over His Divorce So Quickly" (or something like that)... it featured photos of Vanessa. So, thanks for that

Coaching Search Digest *Parrish article*

May have missed it, but what ever happened to Mack?

May have missed it, but what ever happened to Mack.

No idea, looks like we went from grabbing our #1 option to Mack (probably 5th-6th) to offering Danny Manning (7th-8th) to now Manning using this as a bargaining chip to STAY AT TULSA.

The dude is clearly "unnamed Tulsa source" releasing contract info.

Manning should have been above Mack, White and Howland.

I think Ron just didn't want to drink from the Xavier cup or (probably more likely) harvest from the Prosser tree once again.

Seems like most of the Mack rumors were shot down by the insiders on the board, or at least we didn't hear much regarding him outside of the initial reports

I think Ron just didn't want to drink from the Xavier cup or (probably more likely) harvest from the Prosser tree once again.

Seems like most of the Mack rumors were shot down by the insiders on the board, or at least we didn't hear much regarding him outside of the initial reports

Mack was never seriously in play, IMO. Too much of more of the same. Howland seems to have been black-balled by the entire industry, so I'm not sure why everyone is rooting for us to take him. Guy seems toxic, and might not have a bridge left to burn.

Manning over White, for me. Not sure how you could argue White over Manning with anything other than a "gut feeling." But at least people will have heard of Manning, for those still wrapped up in baseball analogies.

I think Manning was 4th on the list -- assuming there were no long-shot plays for coaches who were very unlikely to movie, like Jay Wright -- so when the dream-shopping of Smart/Marshall ended, and the tourney darling Miller didn't work out, I think Wellman went for Manning. And I personally have no problem with that, given the crop of available coaches.

Back