• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan on Dave Glenn Now

Wow. He said that if Bz had the 09-10 team, he'd have been able to get them to the NCAAT "as well as or better than" Dino did.

He followed it up with saying that he has no idea what Wellman was thinking hiring Bz, and that Bz doesn't have what it takes.

I doubt the bolded part very seriously. Dino wasn't much of a coach, but Buzz is loads worse.

I use to correspond with Country for several years. He posted my comments on MTOW and we emailed each other on a regular basis. He is a very good columnist and I consider a priviledge to have been able to discuss sports with him. When the WSJ changed their policy and required all who replied to be a Facebook member I told Dan that I would no longer be commenting on MTOW. In fact, Dan gave me the link to this site, suggesting I should monitor to get all the latest info regarding Wake athletics. In my dealings with Dan, I have always found him to be honest, forthright and a man of integrity. His hobby is music and many say he is a fine musician who regularly plays at one of establishments in Winston on Wednesday evenings...

Dan Collins is Duke Silver?

Which we should have known from the Colorado days.

But Air Force is in Colorado and that is where AD Wellman first spied Coach [Redacted] when the Falcons whipped the Deacons. And now Colorado has turnd into a winner because of the groundwork laid by the Buzzer. That is what the Well-Man is saying to all the insiders at least. The ones who bought in to all the initial junk anyway.

Dan being a little looser recently with calling it like he sees it, doesn't mean that he has heard anything from the AD about BZ's future and that he's been given the green light to talk about how bad its been/is...A perfectly reasonable alternative hypothesis is that Dan is heading towards retirement himself with in a year or so and he doesn't care what the AD thinks of him anymore.

I use to correspond with Country for several years. He posted my comments on MTOW and we emailed each other on a regular basis. He is a very good columnist and I consider a priviledge to have been able to discuss sports with him. When the WSJ changed their policy and required all who replied to be a Facebook member I told Dan that I would no longer be commenting on MTOW. In fact, Dan gave me the link to this site, suggesting I should monitor to get all the latest info regarding Wake athletics. In my dealings with Dan, I have always found him to be honest, forthright and a man of integrity. His hobby is music and many say he is a fine musician who regularly plays at one of establishments in Winston on Wednesday evenings...

Dan is a good guy and a good reporter who is sometimes put in a bind having to opine about the beat and sources he covers. Wake is a private institution with a tight-lipped athletic department that makes it harder to break news than at some other institutions.

What scares you more: Turner or CBI + Contract Extension?

They're damn near equal because both just bolster the feared reality that Wake basketball doesn't have a goal of being competitive.

I'll tell you this, I'd certainly prefer Wellman's ouster over Bzdeliks if given the choice

We thought the same thing 4 years ago when Buzzdick's name surfaced as a rumor. We thought at the time that Ron wasn't that stupid and that Buzzdick was a smokescreen.

Same thing happened when Skip was hired. We kept hearing that Maine coach Dr. John Giannini was turning into a solid candidate. While Skip did well and was a repeat winner of the press conference, the real mistake was not hiring John Beilein. Of course, then you had the whiners who were going to throw a tantrum if Beilein was hired. That guy can flat out coach.

Same thing happened when Skip was hired. We kept hearing that Maine coach Dr. John Giannini was turning into a solid candidate. While Skip did well and was a repeat winner of the press conference, the real mistake was not hiring John Beilein. Of course, then you had the whiners who were going to throw a tantrum if Beilein was hired. That guy can flat out coach.

actually the best pick at that time would have been Thad Matta.

Yep. Wellman should have just hung back and waited for him.

Hmm, Thad Matta's Butler team crushes Wake in the NCAA. Odom leaves Wake replaced by Skip, who was then replaced by Thad. Matta improves what Skip did at X and moves to tOSU and is having a lot of success.

Wellman remembers not hiring the guy that crushed Wake and sees his success. Bz crushes Skip's Deacs. Has a hunch maybe there is something to that.

Hmm, Thad Matta's Butler team crushes Wake in the NCAA. Odom leaves Wake replaced by Skip, who was then replaced by Thad. Matta improves what Skip did at X and moves to tOSU and is having a lot of success.

Wellman remembers not hiring the guy that crushed Wake and sees his success. Bz crushes Skip's Deacs. Has a hunch maybe there is something to that.

Wish we had played Wichita this year. On the road. On a Tuesday.

Sure if you're using the post-Bz definition of "win" as finishes near .500 or being on the NIT bubble. Gaps in recruiting killed Odom, Skip, and Dino. That's why we had the 2005-06 team that was JGray, BigE, Trent, and nothing.

You mean the team that would have been the hands down favorite to win it all had the unanimous rookie of the year in the NBA stayed another year? Not sure that was a recruiting gap, it was recruiting too well.

We thought the same thing 4 years ago when Buzzdick's name surfaced as a rumor. We thought at the time that Ron wasn't that stupid and that Buzzdick was a smokescreen.

Anyone is a possibility for this hire.

You mean the team that would have been the hands down favorite to win it all had the unanimous rookie of the year in the NBA stayed another year? Not sure that was a recruiting gap, it was recruiting too well.

Look at the other players in the three classes behind the Big E/JGray class besides Chris Paul. Not much.

I did an extensive breakdown awhile back. Basically Skip's recruits between when Chris Paul verballed and James Johnson verballed only produced two All-ACC seasons. Senior years from Ish and Visser.

Back