• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan on Dave Glenn Now

Don't fuck this up, Ron. Give us a break. Swing for the fences.

No news ... but why would you pay to play a game that nobody wants to see, key players have gone on record as not wanting to play, with a coach that has been told he will not return? So I would say, no CBI.

So, our "Coach" has been told he will not return?.........Just say yes and I will finally be able to sleep peacefully for the first time in weeks.

So, our "Coach" has been told he will not return?.........Just say yes and I will finally be able to sleep peacefully for the first time in weeks.

He said it, and others have confirmed it.

In short, Bzz is gone, we aren't playing in the CBI and nobody knows what Wellman's search plans entail. I'll be much more interested in the structure of the search. Will there be more university oversight? Will we bring in a consulting firm to assist? Will it be Ron doing a repeat of the Bzz search? That is what really matters. The rest of this is window dressing.

Nobody stays anywhere for decades anymore. Boeheim and K are extreme outliers. The model now is have big success someplace, cash it in somewhere else (think Pitino, Brad Stevens, Bill Self). Or fail miserably (think Bz).

Age does not matter. If a mid-fifties coach can bring us five good years before moving on, that's fine. Beats the hell out of what we've had.

There are only a handful of places to go above Wake. If someone has enough success at Wake to get those jobs, then we will be in a fine position to hire another great coach.

There are only a handful of places to go above Wake. If someone has enough success at Wake to get those jobs, then we will be in a fine position to hire another great coach.

Wake is a great basketball position. We're not elite but we are one step down from that. Any coach who dreams of the big job would prize rebuilding Wake. I don't lose sleep over that. Wellman will have interest. It's trusting him to make the right call that worries me. We are at the crossroads. As Skip said a month before his death, "we are going to be good again." I believe this. And I miss that man so much.

Exactly.

No news ... but why would you pay to play a game that nobody wants to see, key players have gone on record as not wanting to play, with a coach that has been told he will not return? So I would say, no CBI.

Coming from you, this example of linear thought is news by itself. I can probably speak for most of us by saying that the last four years has lacked a smidgeon of linear thought with regard to on-court results. Anyway, would it be fair to say that if we do participate in the CBI that all the talk about lack of bball donor money is BS?

Your reasoning is excellent, flawless. Unfortunately, Wellman is calling the shots, and we all know about his reasoning.

Don't fuck this up, Ron. Give us a break. Swing for the fences.

We've already been told Wellman is not swinging for the fences.

As for the CBI speculation, why wouldn't Buddie just tell Dan we're not playing in it? That would have been better messaging. But then again, the AD has been horrific in its messaging the last few years.

Our head coach position may be great but that is academic as long as the guy making the choice has his head up his ass.

No news ... but why would you pay to play a game that nobody wants to see, key players have gone on record as not wanting to play, with a coach that has been told he will not return?.

Well mainly because none of those people (fans, players, or coaches) get to make the decision.
It makes zero sense to play, but once again the questionable rationality and motives of our AD come into play here.

"only a handful of places..."

Here I thought I had a stranglehold on hyperbole. -- :)

I use to correspond with Country for several years. He posted my comments on MTOW and we emailed each other on a regular basis. He is a very good columnist and I consider a priviledge to have been able to discuss sports with him. When the WSJ changed their policy and required all who replied to be a Facebook member I told Dan that I would no longer be commenting on MTOW. In fact, Dan gave me the link to this site, suggesting I should monitor to get all the latest info regarding Wake athletics. In my dealings with Dan, I have always found him to be honest, forthright and a man of integrity. His hobby is music and many say he is a fine musician who regularly plays at one of establishments in Winston on Wednesday evenings...

A dam fine fellow

"only a handful of places..."

Here I thought I had a stranglehold on hyperbole. -- :)

Only a handful of places that somebody would reasonably make a jump. You probably aren't going to leave Wake to go to Illinois if you are successful at Wake. It would be an elite job or nothing.

Only a handful of places that somebody would reasonably make a jump. You probably aren't going to leave Wake to go to Illinois if you are successful at Wake. It would be an elite job or nothing.

Yeah, because Odom and Prosser only flirted with jobs at elite programs.

Yeah, because Odom and Prosser only flirted with jobs at elite programs.

But in the end they stayed. Flirting with a job is often a contract negotiation tactic.

And Skip was a Pittsburgh guy. Now a situation like that could cause a more lateral move.

But in the end they stayed. Flirting with a job is often a contract negotiation tactic.

And Skip was a Pittsburgh guy. Now a situation like that could cause a more lateral move.

Or a lateral jump.

At the time, Pitt and Wake were pretty on par programs before our Bzdeliking.

Back