• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Club Donations! Open the Floodgates?

I phrased that poorly--yes, the SAT correlates more closely to socioeconomics. It can be useful for comparing students in the same economic or racial group. It does not however, predict how well a student will do in college (it can slightly predict how well a student will do freshman year). A high school transcript is much better at predicting success in college.

Edit: There is a thread about academic standards at Wake as far as student athletes. I have worked in the admissions office at a very selective liberal arts college (D3). There are certainly "exemptions" here (ie: the student is only being admitted because of their athletic skill, but they still have to be able to "do" the work). We feel better about student-athletes with a solid secondary school record, even if their testing is a bit low. This is especially true for sports like football (more working class students and racial minorities) where testing needs to be measured in their "context".

I haven't take an SAT in about 30 years. However, I was recently informed by a college admissions representative that the written portion of the SAT can be coached so that someone can almost achieve a perfect score.
I never followed up the conversation but I assume there are key buzzwords or phrases that can be used. Anyhow, he said his school doesn't even use the written portion of the SAT for this reason.

Have you heard this as well Garden? Thoughts on this?

I haven't take an SAT in about 30 years. However, I was recently informed by a college admissions representative that the written portion of the SAT can be coached so that someone can almost achieve a perfect score.
I never followed up the conversation but I assume there are key buzzwords or phrases that can be used. Anyhow, he said his school doesn't even use the written portion of the SAT for this reason.

Have you heard this as well Garden? Thoughts on this?

The writing section is actually being reworked for the next iteration of the SAT for this reason and will be optional.

My school technically considers the writing section, but we do not put a lot of weight into it (unless a score is abysmal and then we examine other things--such as the essay--more closely). The problem is that writing is taught to be a process (rightfully so) and the SAT has students writing an entire essay in a short time period.

Much like the various AP tests, testing well on the SAT writing section is a matter of cracking the formula (the test evaluators are evaluating thousands of these very quickly).

Last edited:
Wake Sociology professor Joseph Soares has done a lot of research on the SAT. He presented at the session I went to that I referred to earlier.

I hope the "no SAT" movement takes off if only to put pressure to curb standardized tests in K-12 education.

I talked to an undergrad who was in the session who was valedictorian of her class and couldn't get into UCF because of her test scores. She had to go to community college first.

Every kid a school takes with a lower SAT score drops their ranking because rankings primarily measure who enrolls nor the benefits of going to one school over another.

Wake Sociology professor Joseph Soares has done a lot of research on the SAT. He presented at the session I went to that I referred to earlier.

I hope the "no SAT" movement takes off if only to put pressure to curb standardized tests in K-12 education.

I talked to an undergrad who was in the session who was valedictorian of her class and couldn't get into UCF because of her test scores. She had to go to community college first.

Every kid a school takes with a lower SAT score drops their ranking because rankings primarily measure who enrolls nor the benefits of going to one school over another.

I have been reading "SAT Wars" by Soares--really fascinating stuff.

The other issue is that standardized testing is big business--the reason the SAT changed in the mid-2000s was because the California university system was considering dropping it (that would be a LOT of lost revenue). Decisions like that by huge players would really accelerate change.

The College Board is dropping the written portion as of, I believe, 2016.
Also offering free test prep through Khan Academy.

Not until Wellman is gone. Attendance should bump should occur from this which would be a start

Q. What improvements did Jeff make during his time here?

A. Jeff’s four years produced many positive results. He has recruited very good people, both players and staff, to Wake Forest. He has had high expectations, both on and off the court, of everyone associated with our program. The team has shown improvement on the court and posted a winning record this year. Off the court, the team grade point average is at its highest point since we started tracking that statistic in 1989.

---------
Lol

Ron Wellman should be ashamed.

This for me in July.

Any increase in giving until Wellman is gone will be to the Magnolia Scholars program. Found out about it at a conference this week and was impressed.

Interested in hearing more about the Magnolia Scholars program. Can you please provide more details?

Back