• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Club Donations! Open the Floodgates?

I'd consider waiting until July then, to avoid mixing "Bz-era" funds and "Post-Bz era" funds. Would make a bigger statement if next fiscal year shows as big an increase as possible.

I like the Idea of donating for next year after 6/30, but for me it still depends on who we hire.

Any school in the world would have said similar things in their press release. Wake's frosh and soph classes in hoops right now do give us a strong foundation for a new coach IMO. If those two classes were any stronger we'd likely be playing in the postseason right now and Buzz wouldn't be gone. Buzz is fired, I don't think it is at all reasonable to expect them to smear him in the goodbye presser. We've got the best job opening in the country and the cupboard is far from bare, I think a lot of coaches out there would be very excited to hear from RW right about now.

Quick question: for incoming frosh and other people (transfers) who have already signed a LOI.... if they came over with their coach to Wake would they need to sit out a year?

False, 350 out of 351 D1 schools would not include multiple talking points trying to justify the 4 year failure of a coach who just "resigned".

I'm just now seeing this but that press release was pathetic.

Q. What improvements did Jeff make during his time here?

A. Jeff’s four years produced many positive results. He has recruited very good people, both players and staff, to Wake Forest. He has had high expectations, both on and off the court, of everyone associated with our program. The team has shown improvement on the court and posted a winning record this year. Off the court, the team grade point average is at its highest point since we started tracking that statistic in 1989.

---------
Lol

If Deacon Club contributions soar to the point they surpass pre-[Redacted] levels, then I'm going to start thinking RW was just doing the really long version of New Coke.

As I said on the day [Redacted] was fired, you don't get credit for hiring a new driver after after you finally canned the last one who wrecked the car. You get credit once you find the right mechanic and a new driver, then the car has to get back on the road. That's when they'll see any of my money again.

I'll make my donation now, but it won't be an increase. Probably would've given a sizable increase if Shaka were hired.

We decided to start giving again after [Redacted] was fired. We'll be at one of the lowest levels until Ron Wellman is gone.

Haha, no. These bastards wasted 4 years of our fandom while openly mocking us, they are going wait at least 4 years for any more of my money.

I don't see the floodgates opening, however, I do see a steady stream.

I think I'll resume my DC contribution, mainly because of the Clawson hire & [Redacted] being shit-canned. Once Wellman hangs up the Opera gloves, I think donations will increase even more.

We decided to start giving again after [Redacted] was fired. We'll be at one of the lowest levels until Ron Wellman is gone.

This for me in July.

Any increase in giving until Wellman is gone will be to the Magnolia Scholars program. Found out about it at a conference this week and was impressed.

This for me in July.

Any increase in giving until Wellman is gone will be to the Magnolia Scholars program. Found out about it at a conference this week and was impressed.

Magnolia Scholars is a great program--I was able to get involved with it during my senior year at Wake. I know people makes lots of jokes about "No SATs" at Wake, but it really has served to help increase socioeconomic diversity on campus (Pell Grant recipients have doubled, more underrepresented applicants, etc.). The typical academic profile "rich prep school kids from New England" is actually high scores and low grades (test scores are correlated to income, not intelligence). Just a pet peeve that this idiocy is perpetuated (even if it is a joke, it is ignorant).

Sorry to get off topic--I will only be giving for student aid.

Magnolia Scholars is a great program--I was able to get involved with it during my senior year at Wake. I know people makes lots of jokes about "No SATs" at Wake, but it really has served to help increase socioeconomic diversity on campus (Pell Grant recipients have doubled, more underrepresented applicants, etc.). The typical academic profile "rich prep school kids from New England" is actually high scores and low grades (test scores are correlated to income, not intelligence). Just a pet peeve that this idiocy is perpetuated (even if it is a joke, it is ignorant).

Sorry to get off topic--I will only be giving for student aid.

I kind of doubt that test scores don't correlate with intelligence. Perhaps you meant to say that test scores correlate more closely with socioeconomic status than intelligence?

I kind of doubt that test scores don't correlate with intelligence. Perhaps you meant to say that test scores correlate more closely with socioeconomic status than intelligence?

I phrased that poorly--yes, the SAT correlates more closely to socioeconomics. It can be useful for comparing students in the same economic or racial group. It does not however, predict how well a student will do in college (it can slightly predict how well a student will do freshman year). A high school transcript is much better at predicting success in college.

Edit: There is a thread about academic standards at Wake as far as student athletes. I have worked in the admissions office at a very selective liberal arts college (D3). There are certainly "exemptions" here (ie: the student is only being admitted because of their athletic skill, but they still have to be able to "do" the work). We feel better about student-athletes with a solid secondary school record, even if their testing is a bit low. This is especially true for sports like football (more working class students and racial minorities) where testing needs to be measured in their "context".

Last edited:

Exactly what we're doing as well. Until Wellman is gone, and maybe even Hatch, it's just difficult to get very excited. It's like driving a Ferrari with the emergency brake fully engaged.

Back