• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs in the NBA thread: 04/01 Tim Duncan moves 19th NBA all time scoring list!

Aminu had a solid night tonight in loss to TWolves
18 pts, 8-13fg 2-2ft
12 reb, 1ast, 1st, 1blk, 2 TO, 36min

Jimmy Butler-led Bulls send short-handed Spurs to third straight loss

SAN ANTONIO -- The Chicago Bulls took advantage of the injury-riddled San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

Jimmy Butler had 19 points and Carlos Boozer added 16 points and 12 rebounds and the Bulls handed the Spurs their third straight loss, 96-86.

"It was huge," Butler said. "It's big to come in here and get a win on the road."

Tony Parker had 20 points and Tim Duncan had 17 points and 12 rebounds for San Antonio, which hadn't lost back-to-back games until this current skid.

The Spurs were without Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Tiago Splitter, who were all out due to injuries.

Ginobili joined San Antonio's growing injury list Tuesday night, straining his left hamstring against Houston after throwing down a one-handed dunk.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich dismissed any talk of fatigue.

"I don't care, that's just an excuse," Popovich said. "Everybody tried as hard as they could. I don't know how to measure fatigue. Just go play. We try to watch people's minutes and that kind of thing.

"It doesn't matter who's hurt, or what your schedule is, or anything like that. You go play. Nobody cares. All that matters is the win or the loss. We lost or defensive consistency and they went up."

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489556

Tim Duncan: 17 pts 12 rbs 1 ast 1 stl 1 blk

Timberwolves top Pelicans

MINNEAPOLIS -- Kevin Love had just finished carrying his Minnesota Timberwolves over .500 for the first time since Nov. 23, playing the entire second half and over 43 minutes to make it happen.

So naturally, he hit the weight room after the game. Without his Bruise Brother Nikola Pekovic by his side for at least another week, Love knows he's going to be tested like he rarely has before.

Love had 30 points and 14 rebounds to help the Timberwolves grind out an 88-77 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday night.

"I was a little upset with myself with some of the shots I took that I felt like I could've made," said Love was of 11 of 26 and 1 for 6 on 3-pointers. "The ball didn't feel great tonight. That's the way it goes sometimes. If I can do that and we can win without Pek, that's a good sign."

Kevin Martin added 18 points on 7-of-18 shooting and six boards for the Timberwolves (23-22) in their first game without Pekovic, who is expected to miss at least a week with bursitis in his right ankle. They still managed to get over .500 after failing in their previous 10 chances to do so.

Al-Farouq Aminu had 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Pelicans, who were missing star forward Anthony Davis with a dislocated left index finger. They shot 35 percent and managed a season-low 35 points in the first half to snap a three-game winning streak.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489553

Al-Farouq Aminu: 18 pts 12 rbs 1 ast 1 stl 1 blk

Which college's alumni starting 5 in the NBA would be better than Wake's?

Which college's alumni starting 5 in the NBA would be better than Wake's?

Maybe UCLA? Either them or Kentucky.

UCLA:
Westbrook
Affalo
Trevor Ariza
Matt Barnes
Kevin Love

ETA...thought about it, our 5 is better. Here's Kentucky's:

Two of Wall / Rondo / Bledsoe
MKG
Davis
Cousins

Kentucky has more talent, but couldn't space the floor.

Last edited:
CP3, Jeff Teague, JJ, AFA, and TD.... a very impressive lineup.

Depends if Teague would go sulk in the corner if CP3 played PG.

Other teams that could challenge:

Kentucky (better IMO): Cousins, Unibrow, Rondo, Wall, and either Prince/MKG.

Florida (matchup problems): Noah, Lee, Horford, Parsons, Beal

Duke (could complete but not favored): Irving, GayGay, Deng, Boozer, A Plumlee
UCLA (could complete but not favored): Love, Westbrook, Holliday, Barnes, Ariza
Texas (could complete but not favored): Durant, Aldridge, and any 3 others.

Game ended.
Jeff Teague
2/1 MIN:113 ATL:120 Q4 0:08
FG:6/15 (40%)
3P:1/3 (33%)
FT:6/6 (100%)
PTS:19
REB:3
AST:8
STL:3
BLK:1
TO:1
PF:4

Game ended.
Ish Smith
2/1 CHA:95 PHO:105 F
FG:4/8 (50%)
3P:0/1 (0%)
FT:0/0 (0%)
PTS:8
REB:2
AST:2
STL:2
TO:1
PF:1

Depends if Teague would go sulk in the corner if CP3 played PG.

Other teams that could challenge:

Kentucky (better IMO): Cousins, Unibrow, Rondo, Wall, and either Prince/MKG.

Florida (matchup problems): Noah, Lee, Horford, Parsons, Beal

Duke (could complete but not favored): Irving, GayGay, Deng, Boozer, A Plumlee
UCLA (could complete but not favored): Love, Westbrook, Holliday, Barnes, Ariza
Texas (could complete but not favored): Durant, Aldridge, and any 3 others.

I love these thought experiments. I think you might be selling UCLA and Texas a bit short, though.

UCLA would probably run Westbrook, Afflalo, Ariza, Barnes, and Love and that team would be a bitch.

Same goes for DJ Augustin, PJ Tucker, Kevin Durant, Tristan Thompson, and LaMarcus Aldridge on Texas.

I love these thought experiments. I think you might be selling UCLA and Texas a bit short, though.

UCLA would probably run Westbrook, Afflalo, Ariza, Barnes, and Love and that team would be a bitch.

Same goes for DJ Augustin, PJ Tucker, Kevin Durant, Tristan Thompson, and LaMarcus Aldridge on Texas.

I like how these three guys played on the same team and they couldn't win a title. 2008 was an epic Final Four though (UCLA, Kansas, UNC, Memphis).

I like how these three guys played on the same team and they couldn't win a title. 2008 was an epic Final Four though (UCLA, Kansas, UNC, Memphis).

Affalo and Love didn't overlap at UCLA. The 2007 team had Collison, Westbrook, Afflalo, and Mbah a Moute. The 2008 team had Collison, Westbrook, Mbab a Moute, and Love. Tha's two bonafide NBA stars and two solid role players. Nuts. If Affalo had stuck around for his senior season...

That Final Four was stacked. Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, Ty Lawson, Danny Green, Mario Chalmers, Darren Collison, Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough, Darrell Arthur, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Wayne Ellington, and Cole Aldrich all played.

Affalo and Love didn't overlap at UCLA. The 2007 team had Collison, Westbrook, Afflalo, and Mbah a Moute. The 2008 team had Collison, Westbrook, Mbab a Moute, and Love. Tha's two bonafide NBA stars and two solid role players. Nuts. If Affalo had stuck around for his senior season...

Damn, you're right

Spurs rally past Kings 95-93 to end 3-game skid

SAN ANTONIO -- Even though it was an ugly victory, the banged-up San Antonio Spurs were just happy to end a three-game losing streak given their troubling rash of recent injuries.

Tim Duncan had 23 points and 17 rebounds, Tony Parker added 18 points and 10 assists, and San Antonio rallied past the skidding Sacramento Kings 95-93 on Saturday night.

The win came in San Antonio's final home game before departing for its annual "Rodeo Road Trip" that lasts nearly a month.

"It's huge to start the road trip like that," Parker said. "We needed a win. Obviously we were in a little slump with those three losses. We wanted to get back on the right track."

Patty Mills scored 15 points and Boris Diaw added 14 for San Antonio, which won't play at home again until Feb. 26 against Detroit.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489577

Tim Duncan: 23 pts 17 rbs 5 ast 2 blk

Another strong performance by JJ.

Calathes scores 22 as Grizzlies beat Bucks 99-90

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- For one night, Nick Calathes provided a big reason to believe the Memphis Grizzlies might be able to withstand the loss of Mike Conley on a short-term basis.

Calathes, starting in place of the injured Conley, scored a career-high 22 points and the surging Grizzlies defeated the Milwaukee Bucks 99-90 on Saturday.

"Mike must have touched (Calathes') hand or given him a good-luck touch because that man was shooting the lights out of that ball," said Memphis reserve forward James Johnson, who had 14 points. "For him to come in and do that was huge for us. We needed that."

Zach Randolph had 23 points and 10 rebounds for Memphis, which has won a season-best six straight and 11 of 12 overall. Marc Gasol scored 19.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489575

James Johnson: 14 pts 4 rbs 2 ast 2 blk

JJ again with a highlight dunk.

Korver leads Hawks past Love, Timberwolves 120-113

ATLANTA -- Kyle Korver said Atlanta coach Mike Budenholzer "laid into us" at halftime.

The response from Korver and the Hawks, especially in the third quarter, earned postgame praise from the first-year coach.

Korver scored 24 points, including a trio of 3-pointers in a third-quarter stretch that gave Atlanta the lead, and the Hawks overcame Kevin Love's 43 points to beat the Minnesota Timberwolves 120-113 on Saturday night.

Korver hit each of his four shots and had 12 points in the third, when the Hawks outscored the Timberwolves 38-21.

"I thought the guys responded," Korver said. "Obviously, it was a great third quarter for us. Hopefully he doesn't have to talk to us like that all the time. It worked tonight."

Budenholzer said defense sparked Atlanta's comeback from an 11-point deficit in the second period.

"I think the third quarter tonight was something we can reference going forward on how we want to play, particularly defensively, to hold them to 21 points in a quarter with the way they can score," Budenholzer said.

Budenholzer said guard DeMarre Carroll, who had 19 points, "set a defensive tone for us and I think everybody else follows that."

Paul Millsap, guarded by Love much of the night in a matchup of All-Stars, had 20 points and 13 rebounds before fouling out late in the game.

Even with the dominant third quarter, the Hawks had to hold on late.

A jam by Minnesota's Corey Brewer with 2:55 remaining cut Atlanta's lead to 107-104. Jeff Teague, who had 19 points, drove for a layup and Carroll's free throws pushed the lead to seven points.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489572

Jeff Teague: 19 pts 3 rbs 8 ast 3 stl 1 blk

Just another day in Mr. Duncan's neighborhood.

Parker and Duncan top Pelicans

NEW ORLEANS -- Tony Parker was causing the Pelicans so much trouble with his dazzling dribble drives that New Orleans' best defender, agile big man Anthony Davis, stepped out to challenge the shifty San Antonio point guard on the perimeter during the critical final five minutes.

With a shoulder fake to his right and a cross-over dribble to the left, Parker wrong-footed Davis and exploded down an open lane for yet another easy layup.

Parker scored 21 of his 32 points in the second half and also doled out nine assists, and the Spurs overcame a 14-point deficit en route to a 102-95 victory over the Pelicans on Monday night.

"Tony pretty much carved them up," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, referring to Parker as "a monster" down the stretch.

Tim Duncan scored 16 of his 21 points in the second half, and Marco Belinelli added 13 against his former club.

Davis had 17 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks, Anthony Morrow added 20 points and Eric Gordon scored 19 for the Pelicans, who appeared in line for their fifth win in six games when they led by 14 near the end of the third quarter.

The Spurs had other plans, outscoring New Orleans 38-19 in the final period.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489588

Tim Duncan: 21 pts 7 rbs 2 ast 1 stl 6 blk

Al-Farouq Aminu: 6 pts 6 rbs

KD & Thunder win 7th Straight at Home

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma City Thunder became familiar with Memphis' grind-it-out defensive style while losing to the Grizzlies during last season's NBA playoffs.

On Monday night, the Thunder beat Memphis at its own game.

Kevin Durant had 31 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, Serge Ibaka had 21 points and 12 rebounds and the Oklahoma City Thunder continued their home dominance, beating the Memphis Grizzlies 86-77.

Durant returned to the 30-point threshold after being held to 26 points in his past two games, in a loss to the Wizards and a win over the Nets. He had previously scored 30 or more in 12 straight.

Oklahoma City (39-11) had a 10-game winning streak snapped Saturday at Washington, but the Thunder moved to 21-3 at home while winning their seventh straight game at Chesapeake Energy Arena.

In doing so, the Thunder posted its second-best defensive outing of the season. Oklahoma City's inside quartet of Ibaka, Kendrick Perkins, Steven Adams and Nick Collison combined to limit Memphis' potent frontcourt duo of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol

Meanwhile, Thabo Sefolosha limited Memphis' Courtney Lee -- who scored 24 points in the last meeting between the teams -- to 11 points. Memphis finished 2 of 16 from 3-point range.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489589

James Johnson: 8 pts 6 rbs 4 ast 2 blk

Last edited:

Yep, I think Texas would run away with it. Also have Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, Maurice Evans, and Cory Joseph.

Texas, Kentucky, Duke, Wake in the Final Four.

Back