• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

The concerning thing is that Minnesota's division plays the worst offensive football of any power conference division and then two of their three cross over teams this year were Rutgers and Maryland. Wake faces much stiffer competition from an offensive perspective.

That said, they did hold Penn State to 23 in regulation, Nebraska to 24, Northwestern to 12, Iowa to 14, and, as mentioned, WSU to 12. The only good opponent they didn't do very well against was Wisconsin (31).
Holding a team to 31 points is not a bad result that's just a little over average scoring in division 1 football for a game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Holding a team to 31 points is not a bad result that's just a little over average scoring in division 1 football for a game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Only teams that didn't hold Wisconsin to less were Akron, Purdue, Illinois, and Penn State.

Only teams that didn't hold Wisconsin to less were Akron, Purdue, Illinois, and Penn State.

So a third of the teams they played?

Wisconsin scored touchdowns on 19- and 8-yard drives in that game thanks to two Minnesota interceptions

We got a P5 DC who wasn't fired. He just wasn't chosen for a new staff over our original choice for DC. Good to see the rivalry between Wake and PJ Fleck continue.

Nice job, Robb Smith. You could have had a job that is a launching pad to DC at Notre Dame. Instead, you took a job that is a launching pad to DC at Wake Forest.

Win.

I'm for scheduling a game between Wake and Minnesota. Seems like Fleck tried to rub Clawson's nose in it for no reason. F@&k this "row the boat" s&$t.

So a third of the teams they played?

Wisconsin scored touchdowns on 19- and 8-yard drives in that game thanks to two Minnesota interceptions

Only one of which is worth a damn.

I am very bullish on the hire though. Just explaining my original Wisconsin point.

Seriously ? As opposed to Notre Dame hiring the DC from Wake Forest ?

The difference being Wake had a good defense against one of the top offensive divisions in football...with a guy who had been a DC for 7-8 years or more, and accomplished something only 3 other teams in FBS did last year, Clemson, Alabama, and Washington, all of whom were in the CFP. Sawvel was in his 1st year as Minnesota DC and Minny is in one of the weakest divisions.

I'll certainly support the hire, but I feel like we waited and just grabbed whatever fell off other teams' trash piles.

ETA: I would have just preferred someone with more experience as a DC, even at a lower level. 1 year being a DC doesn't seem like an "A+" or "homerun" hire like many are saying. Though it could turn out that way. I'll trust in Clawson.

Last edited:
The difference being Wake had a good defense against one of the top offensive divisions in football...with a guy who had been a DC for 7-8 years or more, and accomplished something only 3 other teams in FBS did last year, Clemson, Alabama, and Washington, all of whom were in the CFP. Sawvel was in his 1st year as Minnesota DC and Minny is in one of the weakest divisions.

I'll certainly support the hire, but I feel like we waited and just grabbed whatever fell off other teams' trash piles.

ETA: I would have just preferred someone with more experience as a DC, even at a lower level. 1 year being a DC doesn't seem like an "A+" or "homerun" hire like many are saying. Though it could turn out that way. I'll trust in Clawson.

Name some names, Slim.

We got a P5 DC who wasn't fired. He just wasn't chosen for a new staff over our original choice for DC. Good to see the rivalry between Wake and PJ Fleck continue.

Exactly; but for some reason many of the media knuckleheads insisted that Elrod was fired.

Pretty glowing talk about him on the Gopher board, particularly regarding pass defense and secondary development.

Back