• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

It's a terrible fucking joke and a waste of people's time when they're looking for actual information when they have to scroll through pages of stupid PM jokes to find anything worthwhile.

i agree that it's super dumb, but it's also worth it for hissy fits like this

Because some people think its fucking idiotic to go into those situations without nailed down information?

But I'm not sure we're on the heels of some top defensive studs anyway, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

If we're getting new interest from Minnesota prospects and commits, there is some nailed down information.

Color me unimpressed if it does indeed turn out to be a DC from a middling P5 school from a weak division.

Though holding a Mike Leach team averaging 40+ points a game to 12 in the bowl game is a nice look.

Sawvel was the DC of a 9 win team ranked #21 team in scoring defense and total defense. He would be a huge get.

Sorry I don't enjoy having my time wasted.

Dude, you post here and waste time like the rest of us. Get off your high horse.

It's a terrible fucking joke and a waste of people's time when they're looking for actual information when they have to scroll through pages of stupid PM jokes to find anything worthwhile.

It's even funnier that you're making me scroll through your bitchy emails to find more information about both our new DC and unsent PMs.

Color me unimpressed if it does indeed turn out to be a DC from a middling P5 school from a weak division.

Though holding a Mike Leach team averaging 40+ points a game to 12 in the bowl game is a nice look.

Seriously ? As opposed to Notre Dame hiring the DC from Wake Forest ?

How about this joke ?

Did you hear about the toilet being stolen from the police station ? The cops have nothing to go on !!!!

The concerning thing is that Minnesota's division plays the worst offensive football of any power conference division and then two of their three cross over teams this year were Rutgers and Maryland. Wake faces much stiffer competition from an offensive perspective.

That said, they did hold Penn State to 23 in regulation, Nebraska to 24, Northwestern to 12, Iowa to 14, and, as mentioned, WSU to 12. The only good opponent they didn't do very well against was Wisconsin (31).

Nice. This is something big time programs do.

So Sawvel coached DBs for years. What does this mean for Coach Jackson?

Don't think I saw it on here yet, but the football twitter handle put out a Happy Birthday message to Coach Jackson a couple of days ago. It was subtle, but the tweet called him "cornerbacks coach Derrick Jackson". I believe he has always been "Secondary Coach" in the past. So, I think that is your answer.

The concerning thing is that Minnesota's division plays the worst offensive football of any power conference division and then two of their three cross over teams this year were Rutgers and Maryland. Wake faces much stiffer competition from an offensive perspective.

That said, they did hold Penn State to 23 in regulation, Nebraska to 24, Northwestern to 12, Iowa to 14, and, as mentioned, WSU to 12. The only good opponent they didn't do very well against was Wisconsin (31).

This is not a bad resume.

Yeah, can you imagine a top program like ND going after a DC from a conference bottom feeder? Oh wait...

Edit: biff already said this; sorry for repeat.

Last edited:
Don't think I saw it on here yet, but the football twitter handle put out a Happy Birthday message to Coach Jackson a couple of days ago. It was subtle, but the tweet called him "cornerbacks coach Derrick Jackson". I believe he has always been "Secondary Coach" in the past. So, I think that is your answer.

Elko coached safeties. The general assumption was that Hemphill was taking over the safeties.

Good info. Thanks.

It's changed on the official site too.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Dave Clawson[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Head Coach[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Kevin Higgins[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Assistant Head Coach / Wide Receivers[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Warren Ruggiero[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
Jay Sawvel - Defensive Coordinator/ Safeties (?)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Wayne Lineburg[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Special Teams Coordinator / Tight Ends[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]John Hunter[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Running Backs[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Nick Tabacca[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Offensive Line[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Dave Cohen[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Defensive Line[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Derrick Jackson[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Cornerbacks[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Lyle Hemphill[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] - Defensive Coach (Linebackers?)[/FONT]

Sorry I don't enjoy having my time wasted.

68103731.jpg

One of the reasons that I’ve thought the Sawvel possibility was interesting was because of some of the similarities in scheme.

From what I’ve been able to gather, Sawvel used a base 4-man front but relied heavily on subpackages and different formations to generate a pass rush on third down and other passing downs. That part sounds familiar.

But it’s also interesting that he sometimes varied his defenses significantly based on the opponents. Sometimes relying heavily on 3-man or even 2-man fronts in certain games. I thought that made it sound like he is flexible. Not rigid and maybe would adapt Wake’s defense to whatever best fit our personnel.

The Sawvel to Wake rumor has spread as far as the Minnesota message boards. I'm curious how much of this most recent wave of speculation relates to redwing22's post a few pages back. I know that the BSD guys tweeted about the Sawvel rumors, presumably based on redwing's post, and it's likely spread from there. Is anyone hearing Sawvel chatter that is unrelated to redwing22's post?

Back