• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

You're frustrated that our coaching search isn't leaking?? Miserable fan base.

A good point here, I think. I guess it doesn't make sense to be frustrated that info isn't leaking. Certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism of the AD, more of a wish that the media would give us something.

On a different note, here are some items I picked up from reading about some of the other DC openings:

Bob Diaco's agreement with Nebraska is reportedly for 2 years at an average of $850,000. That's a hefty increase being paid by Nebraska. Diaco's predecessor in Lincoln made $580,000.

Jay Sawvel's name seems to be discussed with every job opening. He's someone that, on paper at least, would seem to make sense for Wake. But you would guess he will have a number of other opportunities, even if it is as a position coach until the right DC spot opens up.

One name that is being mentioned for several of the DC openings is Charlie Partridge, the recently fired HC at FAU. He's only 43 years old, and a DC position seems like the obvious next step to get back into coaching.

Last edited:
A good point here, I think. I guess it doesn't make sense to be frustrated that info isn't leaking. Certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism of the AD, more of a wish that the media would give us something.

On a different note, here are some items I picked up from reading about some of the other DC openings:

Bob Diaco's agreement with Nebraska is reportedly for 2 years at an average of $850,000. That's a hefty increase being paid by Nebraska. Diaco's predecessor in Lincoln made $580,000.

Jay Sawvel's name seems to be discussed with every job opening. He's someone that, on paper at least, would seem to make sense for Wake. But you would guess he will have a number of other opportunities, even if it is as a position coach until the right DC spot opens up.

One name that is being mentioned for several of the DC openings is Charlie Partridge, the recently fired HC at FAU. He's only 43 years old, and a DC position seems like the obvious next step to get back into coaching.

Wasn't trying to attack you personally, so I apologize if it came off that way.

Partridge has never been a DC. He was an AHC/DL at Arkansas before FAU.

Every year, at the end of the NFL season, their are 9-12 coaches fired. The bad organizations jump on the hot coordinator and will fire him 3 years later. The Steelers have had 3 HCs since the moon landing. They pick the right guy to fit their organization. We should take our time and hire someone who is close to perfect. We're gonna blame Wellman anyway.

If you look at what Clawson said post-Military Bowl he clearly set the expectation that he was going to take his time. Said that having a DC for the official visit weekends was a nice-to-have not a must-have. So I'm not sure why people are surprised and/or worried.

My frustration is not with the length of time, but the absence of visibility as to the candidates being considered. So it is unclear what, if anything, is being done. Or what progress is or isn't being made. With any other P5 program the media would have provided more visibility on the hiring process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because some people think its fucking idiotic to go into those situations without nailed down information?

But I'm not sure we're on the heels of some top defensive studs anyway, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Every year, at the end of the NFL season, their are 9-12 coaches fired. The bad organizations jump on the hot coordinator and will fire him 3 years later. The Steelers have had 3 HCs since the moon landing. They pick the right guy to fit their organization. We should take our time and hire someone who is close to perfect. We're gonna blame Wellman anyway.

3 coaches over that time period is amazing.
Their stability in ownership, culture and coaching has undoubtedly led to their long term success on the field.
I'm sure someone will make a sarcastic comment about 'culture' especially in light of all the Wake culture discussions we've had, but for successful organizations (sports or business) it's a key part of the formula.

Take this for what you will, but my wife and I were at dinner tonight at The Katherine. Coach Clawson's family was there, but the coach was not. Later on, Coach Clawson came in along with someone that I'm 90% certain was Jay Sawvel. I'm not sure, and I didn't ask or eavesdrop, but there is your #scoop for the evening.

I'll drink to Sawvel. That was a very good D this year

That was posted last week.

Boy talked about a search close to the vest. I can't even find any rumors :(

Take this for what you will, but my wife and I were at dinner tonight at The Katherine. Coach Clawson's family was there, but the coach was not. Later on, Coach Clawson came in along with someone that I'm 90% certain was Jay Sawvel. I'm not sure, and I didn't ask or eavesdrop, but there is your #scoop for the evening.

Thanks for the PM. Lets cross our fingers!

I think you're on to something solid here.

Sawvell has a brother in Clinton, NC who is the athletic director at Clinton High School; I think he was also a coach there at one time.The Dark Horses have played in a few championship games at BB&T, so maybe there's another plus as far as a connection/familiarity.

Back