• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

I am concerned about the like of information too, but I can understand that DC is a bit wary of publicity now. I just keep telling myself that the guy who is conduction the search is the same guy who brought us Elko in the first place and that turned out OK. So I guess I have faith that DC will bring in someone who can do the job.

Dean Hood is the AHC/TE coach at UNCC now.

The other DC openings that I looked at yesterday are at programs that either run the 3-4 or are looking to change to a 3-4. I might be wrong, but I think that Wake might be the highest profile opening for coaches that run 4-3 or 4-2-5 schemes. So you might expect that the pool of candidates would be different. For example, this article here says that App State's Nate Woody had contact with Wake but wasn't expected to be a candidate. The article implies that the reason was the differences in scheme between what Woody runs and the scheme that Wake uses.

By the way it sounds like Bob Diaco is going to take the open position at Nebraska.
One of my favorite things about the college football off-season is hearing about how many teams are excited to be switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3, or vice versa.

Where do you hear about that? What typically prompts the switches? Personnel? New coaches?

If you look at what Clawson said post-Military Bowl he clearly set the expectation that he was going to take his time. Said that having a DC for the official visit weekends was a nice-to-have not a must-have. So I'm not sure why people are surprised and/or worried.

My frustration is not with the length of time, but the absence of visibility as to the candidates being considered. So it is unclear what, if anything, is being done. Or what progress is or isn't being made. With any other P5 program the media would have provided more visibility on the hiring process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're frustrated that our coaching search isn't leaking?? Miserable fan base.

It's a commentary on the uncurious media that "covers" WF, and a legit one.

Yep. It is amazing that people perceive our lack of media coverage as a strength.

Yep. It is amazing that people perceive our lack of media coverage as a strength.

I didn't say that. But in the grand scheme of things the fact that the media isn't doggedly tracking our defensive coordinator search a month after the season has ended is not a big deal.

The other DC openings that I looked at yesterday are at programs that either run the 3-4 or are looking to change to a 3-4. I might be wrong, but I think that Wake might be the highest profile opening for coaches that run 4-3 or 4-2-5 schemes. So you might expect that the pool of candidates would be different. For example, this article here says that App State's Nate Woody had contact with Wake but wasn't expected to be a candidate. The article implies that the reason was the differences in scheme between what Woody runs and the scheme that Wake uses.

By the way it sounds like Bob Diaco is going to take the open position at Nebraska.

Just reported that Diaco has gone to Nebraska

I didn't say that. But in the grand scheme of things the fact that the media isn't doggedly tracking our defensive coordinator search a month after the season has ended is not a big deal.

Local media should absolutely cover the search for such a large position in the revenue sports. Fans should also care. Promoting ambivalence is absurd.

Just reported that Diaco has gone to Nebraska

As is the case with the vast majority of these off-season hires, they become public close to the time the coach or the school puts the information out.

If Dan Collins weren't out rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff, I'm sure he'd be trying to dig in a bit, but there's just not that much information out there that's easy to get and publish on this search.

It really doesn't behoove the school for the nuts and bolts of a search like this to be out as it moves forward, and I'm sure everybody with the Wake program is a little more tight-lipped right now considering the recent circumstances involving Wakeyleaks.

I've personally followed probably a dozen leads on this, and I've had a modicum of information on my site — but honestly not all that much, because pretty much nobody is talking. And I completely understand that.

My bad. You said that our lack of media coverage is not a big deal.

My bad. You said that our lack of media coverage is not a big deal.

At how many ACC schools is the local paper closely following an assistant football coach coaching search during basketball season? Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, maybe Virginia (just because the Charlottesville media has little else to report on)? It's not like Wake is an outlier here.

I wasn't talking about 94 specifically. Was referring to how our fan base in general likes to complain about things that are pretty meaningless.

What are examples of "pretty meaningless" complaints?

As is the case with the vast majority of these off-season hires, they become public close to the time the coach or the school puts the information out.

If Dan Collins weren't out rehabbing from a torn rotator cuff, I'm sure he'd be trying to dig in a bit, but there's just not that much information out there that's easy to get and publish on this search.

Annnnd bingo. Thanks Les for explaining it much better than I could/did. These things just don't get "leaked." It's not a LOWF situation, it would be the same at most other ACC schools

Last edited:
Back