• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino defended himself & his players?

I seem to remember Brown being at the game as a spectator and making the comment on a plane after the game.

I wouldn't swear on oath about this, as its been several years.
But, per your added info, Brown was at game - thus likely interviewed during the game, as he was an important person. Fits my scenario/remembrance. As I said, that's what I recall. I don't think twitter was in existence back then, unlikely a personal/private comment by him on a plane to someone would get so much exposure.
No doubt he regretted saying it publicly.

Something happened with Dino.... period. Don't know what, don't care.

Bz was given marching orders. Don't know why, don't care.

Bz has shown he is an average coach at best. That I care about! Time for a change.

Touche' - On twitter.....
As you might suspect, I don't do twitter, and it is certainly more prevalent in past few years. re: its 2006 start. And Brown is much more a contemporary of mine than yours.

Last edited:
I wouldn't swear on oath about this, as its been several years.
But, per your added info, Brown was at game - thus likely interviewed during the game, as he was an important person. Fits my scenario/remembrance. As I said, that's what I recall. I don't think twitter was in existence back then, unlikely a personal/private comment by him on a plane to someone would get so much exposure.
No doubt he regretted saying it publicly.

Maybe you are right. It has been several years. I remember it as somebody on the board posting that they knew somebody who sat on the plane with Brown after the game and overheard him say that Wake was the worst coached team he had ever seen.

That may be true of some, but there are plenty of people that had their own interactions with the basketball program and formed their own opinions from direct interactions. I have no idea if Wellman has devised some systematic scheme to defame Dino, but what has happened seems to be blown out of proportion on this board. It helps to fuel the black and white story line that some feel the need to drive and others are just willing to accept in their frustration of the current situation.
If anyone makes a negative comment about the program pre-Bz, it is because Wellman fed that to them. Even Dino's buddy Deman, in the midst of his freakout, admitted there were lots of people within the department that were going to wake up the next morning thrilled with the decision. The fact is, there were people that were not please with the basketball program at the time of Dino's departure. Their speaking out (whispering) after the fact does not mean it was fueled or ordered by Wellman. There are a lot of people in the AD that may have their own personal agendas. To be clear, I am not saying Wellman has zero responsibility for the narrative, I just don't know, and neither do most here.
It just seems to simple-minded for those that think any negative comment pre-Bz comes directly from Wellman. Anyone that says almost anything positive is a shill or Wellman lackey. Our athletic department, sports programs and the people that make them up have their good and bad, just like always. It is not all one or the other. The difference recently has just been the balance has changed a bit. SOME don't seem capable of that nuance, but that is a separate issue.

Balance? I have not heard anything but Ron and his shills for five years. There is no observable evidence to support your statement.

the truth is we did not look like we were very well coached toward the end of any of DFino's seasons as head coach, we didn't need Larry Brown to see that

That's pretty amazing that Larry Brown, the day after playing a road game in Philly and the day before hosting the Clippers, decided to swing up to Greensboro for a 2 p.m. game and gave an interview which he has since managed to completely erase from the annals of the Internet. It's almost like it never happened.

That's pretty amazing that Larry Brown, the day after playing a road game in Philly and the day before hosting the Clippers, decided to swing up to Greensboro for a 2 p.m. game and gave an interview which he has since managed to completely erase from the annals of the Internet. It's almost like it never happened.

This was the Wake/UNC game in Winston-Salem that year. But I don't recall the interview. I do recall him being Roy's guest at the game.

If Dino's firing had anything to do with basketball would you seriously keep all of his assistants? They would have been a part of it, had knowledge of it, etc. So obviously it was something else. What it was we probably will never know due to whatever agreement was reached.

Somebody should make a movie about that. Maybe his car is actually a time machine and Larry Brown is actually Larry "Doc" Brown. I'm gonna get that crazy old Butthead!

To be fair, Larry never stays any place very long...if you're not paying attention, you might miss him.

Maybe you are right. It has been several years. I remember it as somebody on the board posting that they knew somebody who sat on the plane with Brown after the game and overheard him say that Wake was the worst coached team he had ever seen.

That's how I remember it as well.

Something happened with Dino.... period. Don't know what, don't care.

Bz was given marching orders. Don't know why, don't care.

Bz has shown he is an average coach at best. That I care about! Time for a change.

Average may be the best thing ever said about bzzz coaching ability. He is so far below average as a coach its insane. The only worse coach I have seen was our c team middle school basketball coach.

Does anyone really know Dino wants to coach anymore? I'm sure he feels as many of us do, that he got a raw deal with the way that worked out here and maybe he just doesn't want to deal with the politics of coaching anymore. He's got a good job working for ESPN U and probably happy.

I am 100% certain that Dino was putting his name out there for a coaching job last Spring.

I'd imagine he will do the same again this Spring, but I do not know that for certain.

Back