• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DNC 2016 thread

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 32m32 minutes ago
"Little" Michael Bloomberg, who never had the guts to run for president, knows nothing about me. His last term as Mayor was a disaster!

Recycling monikers? Stale! Sad!

"Little" Michael Bloomberg is only 10-40 times as rich as Donald Trump..

The Dems should use two Bloomberg's statements in non-stop ads in battleground states:

"Trump wants to run America like a business. God help us all."

"I'm from NY and I know a con when we see it."

They should also use the Mar-A-Lago request for visas to attack Trump's "bringing jobs back to America" . - Bringing jobs back to America, REALLY Donald, why not do it yourself? "

Are there any Republicans who want to try to argue that the RNC completely paled in comparison to the DNC? From the organization, to the level of speakers, to the speeches themselves, to the level of celebrity, to the reclamation of real patriotism, to the professional seat filling, to the massive number of balloons, etc., it was not even close.

I don't think we'll see a huge bump, but 5-6 points seems about right.

I knew it would get under his skin having a MUCH richer new york businessman speak against him

Bloomberg's worth $40B. Spent $100M on his third mayoral campaign. Could spend $20M setting up an anti-Trump SuperPAC targeting FL, PA, OH, and VA just for kicks. AZ, GA, and MO if he seriously wanted to fuck with Trump and the GOP.

Bloomberg's worth $40B. Spent $100M on his third mayoral campaign. Could spend $20M setting up an anti-Trump SuperPAC targeting FL, PA, OH, and VA just for kicks. AZ, GA, and MO if he seriously wanted to fuck with Trump and the GOP.

He could spend $250M and never miss it.

Are there any Republicans who want to try to argue that the RNC completely paled in comparison to the DNC? From the organization, to the level of speakers, to the speeches themselves, to the level of celebrity, to the reclamation of real patriotism, to the professional seat filling, to the massive number of balloons, etc., it was not even close.

No doubt the production was much better for the Dems. Not sure that helps as much this year. Trump came across fairly normal and Hillary has very low charisma. Overall, I think the conventions will be a net positive for Trump over Hillary. Not a lot, however.
Hillary will likely edge back in the lead but I doubt Hillary ever gets much breathing room because she is so imminently unlikable and there is no way to mask that.
Likely a close election that favors Hillary, but a Brexit like result is not unfathomable

No doubt the production was much better for the Dems. Not sure that helps as much this year. Trump came across fairly normal and Hillary has very low charisma. Overall, I think the conventions will be a net positive for Trump over Hillary. Not a lot, however.
Hillary will likely edge back in the lead but I doubt Hillary ever gets much breathing room because she is so imminently unlikable and there is no way to mask that.
Likely a close election that favors Hillary, but a Brexit like result is not unfathomable

Really?

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 32m32 minutes ago
"Little" Michael Bloomberg, who never had the guts to run for president, knows nothing about me. His last term as Mayor was a disaster!

Recycling monikers? Stale! Sad!

I guess he couldn't resist, but not a good decision to go here - I don't see how going after Bloomberg helps him. Keep the focus on Hillary. And exactly how was Bloomberg a disaster as a mayor?

No, and I wouldn't expect it to. Had Presidents Clinton and Obama in tow, and the best and brightest in Hollywood are probably left so they'll almost always have better staging, production, celebrity, etc.

The reclamation of "real" patriotism was bordering on parody. Lots of visual shit and verbal cues looked ripped from a Neocon convention, and that was obviously targeting that demo.

Last edited:
Bloomberg as a leader is the exact opposite of Trump. Instead of pandering to the lowest of society and giving them lip service about what they need Bloomberg took it upon himself to ignore it, do what was right and later people thanked him for it. I.e. Smoking ban.

I guess he couldn't resist, but not a good decision to go here - I don't see how going after Bloomberg helps him. Keep the focus on Hillary. And exactly how was Bloomberg a disaster as a mayor?

Bloomberg as a leader is the exact opposite of Trump. Instead of pandering to the lowest of society and giving them lip service about what they need Bloomberg took it upon himself to ignore it, do what was right and later people thanked him for it. I.e. Smoking ban.

I just don't think Bloomberg will ever live down his "large soda ban". He may have had good intentions, but how could anyone think that it is the governments place to decide what size drinks people can sell.
I don't think he will ever have a ton of weight or respect from libertarians or conservatives after that. It was a fairly innocuous law, but the mindset to make it is mind boggling.

I just don't think Bloomberg will ever live down his "large soda ban". He may have had good intentions, but how could anyone think that it is the governments place to decide what size drinks people can sell.
I don't think he will ever have a ton of weight or respect from libertarians or conservatives after that. It was a fairly innocuous law, but the mindset to make it is mind boggling.

Probably because he's not drinking large sodas.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...d-think-of-and-probably-some-you-couldnt.html

We checked in on how New Yorkers are feeling these days about some of the state's major politicians of the past. Rudy Giuliani (46/35) and Michael Bloomberg (43/31) are both still seen pretty favorably statewide while attitudes toward George Pataki (35/35) are split and Eliot Spitzer (22/54) continues to be a very unpopular figure. It's worth noting that in New York City itself voters have a much more positive opinion of their last Mayor (53/29 for Bloomberg) than their second to last Mayor (34/47 for Giuliani).

telling a business what size soda they can sell is mind boggling but telling businesses how to regulate their bathrooms is not

intriguing

telling a business what size soda they can sell is mind boggling but telling businesses how to regulate their bathrooms is not

intriguing

Interesting that you think so. I would think they both are intrusive and equally silly. The soda ban did not cause any boycotts, so there is that.

I agree with whomever (FMC?) said the scheduling was fantastic. I questioned the lack of bigger name speakers last night, but I'm so happy they gave people like Rev Baker and Khizr Khan prime time slots. The whole convention was really well done.

So how much credit does DWS deserve for what turned out to be an outstanding convention?

Back