• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Hatch converting Wake to Notre Dame

Sco Deac

Reaction score
For those observing the gradual evolution to becoming Notre Dame, check out the baby gift I received today. I know this was a mistake by a third party vendor in Jacksonville, Florida, but it's pretty funny.

Wake Socks.jpg

Not a parody. I just thought it was funny that the tag on the Wake Forest socks someone sent me said that they were an officially licensed product of Notre Dame. Clearly someone in factory screwed up and put the wrong tag on the item, but it is funny.

I'm paying $62.5k next year for my son, and there's nothing funny about that. How many Deans does a college really need?

I'm paying $62.5k next year for my son, and there's nothing funny about that. How many Deans does a college really need?

When the gun to your head starts to hurt, take some Advil.

Must be nice to be able to afford to pay full price for a Wake education.

Agree about the deans.

For you old-timers - Believe it or not, that's what it costs now. It was always in the back of my mind that I'd like for him to go to Wake, but I now realize that it's possibly not worth what I'm paying. One day, the model is going to break down, and people aren't going to be willing to get ripped-off like this. I'm going to be a wiser consumer with my next two kids

Not a parody. I just thought it was funny that the tag on the Wake Forest socks someone sent me said that they were an officially licensed product of Notre Dame. Clearly someone in factory screwed up and put the wrong tag on the item, but it is funny.

Sorry, I meant the second post

It wasn't cheap in the mid-'70s, relatively speaking. I seem to recall it was $6,500-$7,000 then, although I could certainly be wrong. Comparatively, in the mid '70s a new Ford Mustang cost $3,300 and tuition at Carolina was $900.

I've not looked at the specific numbers laterly, but it seems to me that the significant relative increase has been in the last five to six years.

Wake's motto " pro humanitate" has changed in recent years. New motto is " More money". The academic and admissions people think very highly of themselves.

One part of demand he didn't talk about was demand for college educated workers. Credentialism is the main driver of student demand and the reason why the disparities between those with a high school education and college education continue to rise.

For you old-timers - Believe it or not, that's what it costs now. It was always in the back of my mind that I'd like for him to go to Wake, but I now realize that it's possibly not worth what I'm paying. One day, the model is going to break down, and people aren't going to be willing to get ripped-off like this. I'm going to be a wiser consumer with my next two kids

My son has no interest in attending WFU, and I'm thrilled from a financial standpoint.

My son has no interest in attending WFU, and I'm thrilled from a financial standpoint.

It may be best for your son, but I am still sad to hear this. I guess if he wants to be an engineer there would be no point in going to WFU anyway.

yeah, government subsidies are problematic and inflationary, this is true in medical services as well

we have a classic case of a vicious cycle: who needs and wants the subsidies? the people with less money, and who gets hurt the most by the growing costs in part created by the subsidies? the people with less money, who needed and wanted the subsidy in the first place

most of us don't think much about this inflationary effect of subsidies, we just want them, and worry about the consequences later

this is not meant to be an argument against subsidies per se, clearly we can't do without them at the moment, but having a better understanding can't hurt

One part of demand he didn't talk about was demand for college educated workers. Credentialism is the main driver of student demand and the reason why the disparities between those with a high school education and college education continue to rise.

Now you have to have a beauty college degree to braid hair.

My son just graduated from Mother So Dear in May and both my wife and I (Class of 1986) are very proud to welcome him to the family's Wake Forest graduate ranks! :thumbsup:

Now he's onto Campbell Law in the fall.

Back