• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Hatch converting Wake to Notre Dame

Take a step back and consider some things. If he only plans to work and live in NC, Campbell is probably ok. Just ok. I considered going there myself before my father's troubled health (only child) forced me back to Florida. But Campbell is poorly known outside NC. It has a good trial practice program and excellent bar passage rate, but it does not have UNC or Wake's peer respect in NC or on the East Coast. He can do very well there, but I consider Campbell to be like Stetson Law in Florida...great trial practice and bar passage rate, but employers are wary, and it sits a solid fourth in line down here behind UF, FSU and Miami. I have heard similar things about Campbell in NC from friends who live and practice there, even with their move to Raleigh, which was a good one. If he didn't get into UNC or another similar tier school, sit out a year and reapply. It's not as prejudicial to do so as you might think. See some of the country or overseas. Once he takes that first law job free time to travel is over for a long time.

This post may seem snobby or hateful and I don't mean it that way. You should be very proud of him. I've just seen some friends (to be fair, Stetson, not Campbell) wish that they had slowed things down, reapplied, and at least tried to go to a higher ranked school. If you can swing the tuition, he will be better off in the end. There is a reason Campbell is giving your son a Dean's Scholarship. Your son is a very solid prospect, and they need to bolster their rep.

Whatever happens, sincere best of luck.

If you can't pass the bar, what good is the law degree??

http://nclawyersweekly.com/2013/04/09/nc-bar-exam-has-49-percent-pass-rate-for-february/

February is always lower because it is the kids that couldn't pass in July taking it again for the most part.

February is always lower because it is the kids that couldn't pass in July taking it again for the most part.

This. The overall passage rate for first time test takers is somewhere around 80%. The overall in February is way lower because if you don't pass the first time, the odds of passing drop way off.

Also, Campbell teaches a specific class (I think it is after hours, not a for credit class) on how to study for the bar and provides all of their students with bar study outlines and tailors their classes to the bar. I got my hands on the Campbell issued bar outline that the faculty created for the students and it was super helpful, but also shed a lot of light on how they teach to the test.

That said, I know plenty of people that went to Campbell and are doing fine. They just all happen to be the people that finished at the very top of the class. I think you can do fine out of Campbell, but there is a much, much lower margin of error.

Last edited:
What's Campbell's placement rates for grads vs other NC schools? I have no idea if that data is even available but it would provide some context beyond how well a school preps you for the bar versus overall professional appeal.

Well, RW is a facilities guy and Campbell's facilities in downtown Raleigh in the old Cranfill Sumner office are now quite nice-wouldn't put it past us not to at least consider it!

What's Campbell's placement rates for grads vs other NC schools? I have no idea if that data is even available but it would provide some context beyond how well a school preps you for the bar versus overall professional appeal.

Employed at graduation for this year:

Duke: 77.8%
Wake: 53.8%
UNC: 44.9%
Campbell: 19.3%

JD/MBA dual degree program. If nothing else my son is ambitious!

He's also a great singer in Chi Rho all 4 years at Wake- he .may end up in Nashville for all we know!

Last edited:
at least the mba will be worth something

Great. Add another degree from Campbell's even less-distinguished Business School. This makes it seem like your son wants to be a corporate attorney or do commercial litigation. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the odds are against him being able to find such an opportunity from Campbell. It simply doesn't place its graduates in biglaw. He might be able to carve out a decent practice in eastern NC doing small-scale commercial work. That's his best bet from Campbell. I'm not saying your kid can't be the exception, but that's the point: the odds are against him being the exception.

Additionally, what's the GPA requirement for keeping his scholarship? Would this mean he has to be in the top 25% to retain it for the last 2-3 years of his JD/MBA program? Again, important things to consider.

But yea, blow off the recommendations of posters here. Practicing attorneys certainly don't know what they're talking about.

Just remember legal practice is largely a prestige-whoring industry. Lacking a prestigious credentials holds you back. I know from experience. I just switched jobs and similarly situated peers from low T1 schools garnered far fewer interview invitations than I received despite us trying to lateral into similar opportunities.

Understood. I guess we all can't be T1 law school students. The boy now has a Wake undergrad degree and will succeed in life just like his Wake grad parents have!

And Dean Leonard obviously has Campbell headed in the right direction.

what is up with the 42% passage rate for Wake Law? No positive way to spin that. I can remember 20 years ago, Wake had a better passage rate in NC that Duke. Looks like the program is headed in the wrong direction.

what is up with the 42% passage rate for Wake Law? No positive way to spin that. I can remember 20 years ago, Wake had a better passage rate in NC that Duke. Looks like the program is headed in the wrong direction.

Those are employment numbers. I'm sure bar passage is still high.

Opps. Think I was mistaken.

Last edited:

That was for the Feb. Bar exam, so not really indicative of overall bar passage rate. For Feb and July of 2012 Wake's combined NC bar passage rate was 89.33% (it was right around the same for Feb and July 2011 - 90.70). I didn't quickly find 2013 rates. Wake also has a lot more people (and I would guess, though I don't know this for sure, a good number of people relatively high up in the class) taking other bar exams than we did 20 years ago. I'm not worried.

Back